PDA

View Full Version : Was digging Civil War site near Vicksburg. Can you identify this?

Dunroven
05-10-2013, 12:21 PM
Found some Grapeshot over the past weekend on private land near Vicksburg. Could not identify this piece? Any ideas?

del
05-10-2013, 02:09 PM
First let me say hello and welcome to the forum Dunroven :waving: , to me it almost looks like somekind of cast iron cookware . Just a guess but maybe its to an iron caldron or large pot , i find many pieces that look somewhat similar at the sites i detect up here in New England.

Dan

Dunroven
05-10-2013, 03:19 PM
Thanks Dan... Greetings from Mississippi. I started looking on the internet to see what was out there and ran across this forum. Glad to be a part. I finally got an opportunity to use my MXT on some land that is pretty virgin territory. Found a Civil War era map and superimposed it over Google Earth with the map being somewhat transparent. Now I can't wait to go back with compass headings. Of course I have to prepare this time for the Poison Ivy and the Giant Rattlesnake that we encountered... Even still, what a fun hobby.

The thing that is odd about this piece is the little cleat (tit) that is on it. Almost shaped like a lawnmower blade (which I first thought it was) but the cleat leads me to believe it is something else....

del
05-10-2013, 05:44 PM
The thing that is odd about this piece is the little cleat (tit) that is on it. Almost shaped like a lawnmower blade (which I first thought it was) but the cleat leads me to believe it is something else....

yes , some of the iron caldon ( Witch's pot as they are sometime known as ) parts i have found do have similar cleats or pointed knubs usually three of them on the bottom to keep the round bottomed pot from tipping over . I hope you can recover some more of this to positively id it . best of luck on your next visit there .

Dan