PDA

View Full Version : deep silver program

zrickkid
04-24-2010, 11:04 PM
Can anyone with a V3 tell me how the deep silver program is supposed to work. Im tired of digging clad coins from the top layers of the ground. The first ones were cool but after about 100 of them it gets kind of old. I really have no idea how my machine is supposed to work. The manual is so confusing and im an engineer so i feel a bit embarassed! I need to know how to set the controls to better pinpoint my searches. The unit seems to make all sorts of noise and beeps relentlessly and it is so hard to not let frustration get to me. Is there really that much crap in the ground? or do I need to set it up in a way that is more effective. The deepest and oldest coin I have dug was a 1929 D wheatie at about 5 inches in depth. Please give me some help or some good tips if you guys can. Thanks Zrickkid.

toehead
04-24-2010, 11:18 PM
Sorry I don't own a v3 so I can't comment on that part of it. However, yes there can be that much junk in the ground! Don't know about the deep silver program on the v3, but many didn't like the deep silver program on the DFX. Oh an welcome aboard!! :yes:

The Beep Goes On
04-24-2010, 11:38 PM
I have one and it works well, but there are about 500 settings, so it pays to learn at least what each group of settings does. Here's a spreadsheet that has all the settings definitions (in a comment for each setting) and programs in a more readable format than the manual.

From what I recall, the DS program only accepts VDI 60 and above, so it should have been pretty quiet. My guess would be that you might have it set too hot and you're falsing, there's EMI in the area you're hunting or you have really bad ground. You can use the Ground Probe feature to check your environment.

The many settings in the V are its greatest strength and its greatest weakness.

http://www.thebeepgoeson.com/display.asp?page=Program_SS

HH!
Beep

Can anyone with a V3 tell me how the deep silver program is supposed to work. Im tired of digging clad coins from the top layers of the ground. The first ones were cool but after about 100 of them it gets kind of old. I really have no idea how my machine is supposed to work. The manual is so confusing and im an engineer so i feel a bit embarassed! I need to know how to set the controls to better pinpoint my searches. The unit seems to make all sorts of noise and beeps relentlessly and it is so hard to not let frustration get to me. Is there really that much crap in the ground? or do I need to set it up in a way that is more effective. The deepest and oldest coin I have dug was a 1929 D wheatie at about 5 inches in depth. Please give me some help or some good tips if you guys can. Thanks Zrickkid.

BHNugget
04-25-2010, 12:16 AM
Hi zrickkid! The deep silver program can be a bit confusing and very BUSY program. :twirlingeyes: The program,as it is set from the factory,is using the discrimination channel and the all metal channel at the same time.The discrimination channel is set to the higher VDI numbers,geared towards silver signals,while the all metal channel will be reading/signaling everything in the ground.The RX is set at 12 and the discrimination (sensitivity) is set to 90.These settings are kind of hot and may need to be reduced at some sites (these high settings may be producing the excessive signaling your experiencing).The all metal channel can also be what your experiencing as excessive signaling,as the all metal channel has no discrimination settings and will sound off on every piece of metal in the ground that it can reach.These two channels are used in conjunction because very deep silver may not always give an ideal VDI reading with the discrimination channel.To run the deep silver program effectively the two channels should really be balanced or you may find (depending on your ground) that the all metal channel is reading targets in your ground significantly deeper than the discrimination channel is.This will leave you with an all metal channel signal with no idea of whether to dig or not.This is best done at the site your going to hunt and involves setting your V3s discrimination channel first for the highest sensitivities while keeping the machine stable.To do this,go to the deep silver program and turn the all metal sensitivity sensitivity all the way down.Run the detector in the area a bit and set the RX and discrimination sensitivity as high as possible while keeping the machine stable.Just remember it is much better to keep your discrimination sensitivity setting to at least 70 or higher than to sacrifice it for higher RX gain.Once you have your machine set and stable,air test a quarter and note the distance it reads from the coil.Never mind if the VDI isnt solid,just note the distance where the coil will just pick it up.Now turn your discrimination sensitivity all the way down and repeat the air test with the quarter for the all metal channel.Usually it is easy to out distance the discrimination channel with the all metal channel,but you dont want to do that.Just turn the all metal sensitivity up to the point where the discimination channel was just losing the quarter signal.Now turn your discrimination sensitivity back up to where you had it set ,ground balance,and your set to go.Now,with all that said,another way to run the deep silver program if your just starting out,is to go to the expert menu and under audio settings and just turn the all metal audio off.This will leave you with just the discrimination channel and will reduce the flood of audio signals and give you a chance to get use to the program.Also remeber that this program is geared with a very slow swing in mind,with the filters set a 5 and recovery delay set at 100.

yazoo
04-25-2010, 06:18 PM
Z, if you can you might want to try my program listed in the Whites section,Its based off C&J,can get deep and will get silver if its there.2.5 freq for deep silver and best data for the rest if not cleaner ground. Making sure to GB in clean ground. Yazoo

Lowjiber
04-27-2010, 06:40 AM
...I really have no idea how my machine is supposed to work. The manual is so confusing and im an engineer so i feel a bit embarassed! ...Please give me some help or some good tips if you guys can.

The Vision can seem daunting. However, we're all in this together.

I'm sending you some good information to supplement your study of the manual. The Book of Jack is a collection of many tips that users have written...each aimed at particular areas of the machine.

I'm also attaching an Excel spreadsheet that shows each adjustment for every program. By reading the comments in each cell, one can quickly get a handle on the function of each variable.

silysavg
04-12-2011, 04:29 PM
The Vision can seem daunting. However, we're all in this together.

I'm sending you some good information to supplement your study of the manual. The Book of Jack is a collection of many tips that users have written...each aimed at particular areas of the machine.

I'm also attaching an Excel spreadsheet that shows each adjustment for every program. By reading the comments in each cell, one can quickly get a handle on the function of each variable.

John,
I am still reading every tidbit of information available on the V3i. I am appreciative of everyone that has made their questions and answers available. Hopefully at some point I will be 'giving' more than 'taking'.

You mention that there are comments on the excel spreadsheet of the variables in many programs. I sure would love to have that if you could get some time to send it.
Not being a former White's detector swinger, like many on this forum appear to be, it is taking me a bit longer to put all the tech terms together. Those comments referred to above may be a godsend.

With each bit of information digested more of what I have read already seems to make a bit more sense.

Thanks,

Mike