PDA

View Full Version : More finds from the Skirmish at Boonville

buck57
05-11-2013, 09:30 PM
Got in a couple of more short hunts at the first skirmish site of the Civil War just out side the town of Boonville Mo. First, I decided to detect a bit on the hill where the Archaeologist report showed the Confederate Line. Due to the tall grass in this pasture, this was nearly impossible, but managed to find my best looking .58 or .69 cal mini ball to date. The next hunt, I decided to work an area where the farmer had rebuilt some terraces, so we had some bare dirt to go over, and was told that this area was never search during thier study of this battle. Well ended up finding two first; a Musket Ball and a Rich Treble Gilt Flat Button. This grounds seems to be rich with relics and even found a nice looking arrow head. Can't wait for my next trip out. Good hunting all.

zenitramNaes
05-11-2013, 09:55 PM
Was looking forward to your next post about this site. Sounds like a very nice place to hunt at, I'm jealous! Nice finds, I'm sure there are loads more things to be found there!

Good luck!

del
05-11-2013, 10:12 PM
Eric ,that place will be heaven when the farmer hays them fields , congrats on the old lead , button and point . |:cheering: |:cheering:

buck57
05-11-2013, 10:12 PM
Hey, thanks zenitramNaes. Yea, I am pretty lucky to get out in an area like this. Growing up in Va, all battle fields were turned in to national parks and was off limits for every thing except for taking pictures, and that was back in the mid 70's.
I agree with you, there must be tons of relics scattered all over this property, unfortuetly, the majority of it is in tall fescue and I do not think it is going to be bailed, instead the farmer will probably run his cattle on it, and unless we have a drought like we had last year, this will be some hard ground to hunt until winter. HH to ya.

buck57
05-11-2013, 10:18 PM
Thanks del. I'm hoping this field gets bailed but I'm leaning more towards cattle moving in. If it was only like it was last year during our drought, I would be setting up camp there for some time. From the looks of the one area where the map showed the Confederate Line to be, looks only to be about 5-10 acres, and could be worked in a summer. If nothing else, it will be a good winter spot to detect. Good hunting del.