PDA

View Full Version : Buff & Old Wheats on a Spring Evening

z118
05-14-2013, 08:58 PM
I got out for a few hours this evening and hit a new spot that I had scoped out on Bing Maps. It was a beautiful, quiet location filled with lilac blooms and other flowering trees. Sadly, the E-trac still seemed to be in a snit - she would not get past 21 in Auto +3. I tried switching to manual 24 at one point but resulting avalanche of nulls and wonky, endless sounds was more than I could take. Regardless, I did alright, scoring 58 coins total including 5 wheats (3 older - 1913, 16, & 26) plus a 1935 Buff. I wish there was a Buffalo nickel contest going on right now because I seem to be on quite the roll with them (having said that I won't dig another one all year... lol). The only other dig beside the trash was a single live bullet. All in all it was a nice time. I feel like I might have a decent shot at silver at this spot if I head back when the ground is wetter, the grass shorter, and the E-trac a bit more cooperative.

Happy hunting...

bob_e99
05-15-2013, 06:33 AM
That is a very nice short hunt and yes, you do seem to be really hitting on those buffalo nickels thumbsup01

I enjoy detecting near flowery shrubs as you can really smell them when the breeze blows. On the other hand, detecting near food places is tough as the smells of food cooking make me salivate and it's tough to focus on what I'm doing lol

:congrats: on a nice hunt with the nickels and wheats.

Fire Fighter 43
05-15-2013, 02:14 PM
Nice hunt and congrats on the oldies. WTG |:cheering:

z118
05-16-2013, 05:35 PM
Out of boredom I cleaned the Buff. It came out pretty good. Cleaning really seems to bring out the pitting but still it's neat to look a the coin now and see it in something close to the original tone and color. They just don't look like real coins somehow when they are that dark red color.

Epi-hunter
05-16-2013, 07:41 PM
Nice... that is one of my favorite coins |:cheering: I don't find many of them.

Tony Two-Cent
05-17-2013, 08:28 AM
The buffalo looks a lot better! |:cheering:

What cleaning method did you use?

z118
05-17-2013, 08:49 AM
The buffalo looks a lot better! |:cheering:

What cleaning method did you use?

A toothbrush and Bar Keeper's Friend.

aloldstuff
05-17-2013, 09:27 AM
It's a nice hunt when the ground is wet, the grass is cut AND the detector is cooperating. :congrats: on the early wheats and your buffs.