PDA

View Full Version : how much am I missing out on?

cjspearsdog
05-17-2013, 12:55 PM
So I was all excited this past week because I got permission to hunt a turn of the centry private residental property. Within the first 15 min. i found what i believe to be a 1950's pocket spill, 4 wheat cents and a 1942 merc :omg: Finally my 1st SILVER :cheering:. all these coins where within a 5 foot radius and only about 2-3 in down. the next couple hours I didn't have a single solid hit. Lots of iffy signals but I dug a couple and they where only roofing nails. So my question is are all the good coins deeper then my poor little ace 250 can go. Is this a spot I should definatly go back to if I ever can afford a better detector? all input welcome, cory

Tony Two-Cent
05-17-2013, 01:27 PM
It's hard to say, some residential yards just don't have much, even if they've never been hunted before. If you went over the yard thoroughly, the ACE 250 probably found most of what's there.

After witnessing Silver Star outhunt all of us with his ACE 250 on a group hunt last year, I have a new respect for that machine.

cjspearsdog
05-17-2013, 01:32 PM
thanks for the response tony, Are you still heading up to wisconsin in June per your post in Hunting buddies

Tony Two-Cent
05-17-2013, 01:44 PM
Are you still heading up to wisconsin in June per your post in Hunting buddies?

Yes, I will be staying at Merry Mac's Campground near Merrimac, WI on June 8-10.

POKIE73
05-17-2013, 03:38 PM
i have to agree with tony the 250 is a good detector and in the right hands it can be a great detector congrats on your finds dennis |:cheering:

Epi-hunter
05-17-2013, 06:22 PM
The Ace250 is great!

It is probably the ideal detector for what you are doing. What you might be missing with the Ace250 is the depth and decent identification of such. It suffers after about five inches. Just my experience, but it is a great machine.. :)

cjspearsdog
05-17-2013, 10:38 PM
I have not dug many old coins as you have read but my question is, what is the average depth that you find silver, indians, buffs etc. ?

jkress
05-17-2013, 11:35 PM
Hi there cjspearsdog. :waving:

As the others have mentioned... the Ace 250 is very capable machine. I know because I started this hobby with one. :yes:

From my experience, the machine will hit coins at 7 inches. But the 250 does have some difficulty seeing coins in trashy conditions.

Simple solution = dig the trash to reveal the keepers here. :clapping:

what is the average depth that you find silver, indians, buffs etc. ?

For me here in Iowa... most keepers run from 5-8 inches. Some come up more shallow and some run deeper.
But the average is usually in the 5-8 inch range.

leslie(nova scotia)
05-18-2013, 12:58 PM
From the land of the Bluenose.....never know and nobody gets it all even after about the 5th time there.

Right now missing everything as I'm stuck inside recovering from a knee replacement. Good luck on your next hunt! <;)