PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about the Deus

Stormrider51
05-18-2013, 11:52 AM
Hi Folks, I've been waffling about the XP Deus lately. I've got something coming up that may make having the lightest possible detector a very good thing. The Deus seems to be lighter than anything else out there but I have some very serious reservations about the machine. I just sold my Minelab E-Trac and my wife uses a White's DFX. Both are extremely capable detectors although on the heavy side. The Trac, of course, provided Fe-Co numbers and multiple tones that allowed me to have a pretty good idea of what was down there. The DFX offers a numerical conductivity value plus the graph that essentially gives the same sort of info as the Fe number on the Trac. Either machine gives me enough info to choose whether to dig or not. I can choose to dig only the ones I'm confident of or to dig those that are iffy depending on the situation. Most of the places I hunt nowadays are churchyards and private residences and part of my promise in exchange for permission to search is that I will leave the area in such a condition that it will be hard to tell I was ever there. I obviously need to dig as few holes as possible in order to accomplish this. My ratio of good vs trash finds went way up once I mastered the Trac.

From what I can see the Deus offers only a single piece of data, a conductivity value. I've read where people say to listen to the tones but it's a single-tone machine isn't it? So other than being the latest and lightest, is the thing really just a beep and dig machine? This worries me because of my need to limit my digging. Taking a step backward in technology would mean digging more trash which equals more holes and a greater potential that I leave visible damage.

I know the best answer would be to try a Deus and see for myself but the closest dealer is about a two hour drive away. So I'm asking those who do have experience to share their thoughts. How sure can you be about a target with the Deus compared to the two machines I'm familiar with?

Thanks,
Storm

Aurelia
05-18-2013, 03:48 PM
From what I can see the Deus offers only a single piece of data, a conductivity value. I've read where people say to listen to the tones but it's a single-tone machine isn't it?

No, it's a multi-tone machine. Of the 9 pre-set programmes, 7 are set to use 3 tones; Programme 4 is set to use pitch and Programme 8 (dry beach) is set to use 4 tones but you can set the programmes to use the number of tones you feel most comfortable with. You can also change the boundaries of where the individual tones start and end, again to suit yourself.

This is the Deus manual:

http://www.xpmetaldetectors.com/docs/deus/DEUS_English.pdf

Take a look at pages 36 and 37 ffi.

If you want to see the Deus in action, take a look at Peacehavens' channel on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/user/PeaceHavens

Stormrider51
05-18-2013, 04:17 PM
Thank you!

Storm

Aurelia
05-19-2013, 05:18 AM
I'm going to respond here to a couple of your queries on another forum as it seems daft to register elsewhere just for that.

XP detectors are designed to be used primarily by aural signal, basically because for most people the ear processes sound faster and more accurately than the eye processes a visual display. The target display on the control unit is therefore a guide and not to be taken as gospel. I know that Nigel of Regton, who are the sole UK importer, simply sets the control unit up and then puts it in his shirt pocket and detects by sound alone. This may be because here in Europe we have such a plethora of coins and artefacts, many of which can give a similar signal, that as long as you get a good signal one way, it's worth digging. I'd rather dig 99 ring pulls and one hammy than not dig the hammy. Obviously things are different in the US.

You mention that you have hearing problems, periodically quite severe. Depending on how often you have bad days, it's possible the Deus may not be the right detector for you. On the other hand, the tones and their thresholds are adjustable and most people hear mid and high tones better than low ones, so you may be able to adjust the tones to suit your hearing. Also, if finds and signals are more clear cut in the US you may not have the same shall I shan't I decision to make as we do in Europe. Although you say your nearest dealer is 2 hours away, it may be worth your visiting to see if you can hear the tones clearly.

Now as to the ferrous-non ferrous display. This is an option you can choose: this or a sensitivity graph. If you look at page 27 of the manual, you will see a couple of illustrations showing a horse shoe configuation. This is the the ferrous-non ferrous display. If the signal is on the left of the horse shoe, it's ferrous. If on the right, it's non-ferrous. The big number you see to the right of the horse shoe is the target reading. The amount of the horse shoe shown shaded indicates the signal strength and object depth. The more that's shaded, the stronger the signal and/or the shallower the target. The illustration is actually misleading as it shows a ferrous signal but a high grade target ID. You can see an indicative scale on page 9 of the manual, but be aware that when you change the frequency, this scale can also shift.

Stormrider51
05-19-2013, 09:42 AM
Thank you for taking time to write the clearest and best thought out response I've received on either forum. I sincerely appreciate it. Meniere's Disease is the most frustrating thing I've ever dealt with. I was diagnosed with it in October, 2011. It affects both hearing and balance. It's totally random and unpredictable. This morning my hearing stinks but my balance is okay. Other times my hearing is better but I'm staggering around like a drunk. Or I can deaf and dizzy at the same time. I'm sometimes able to hear and walk a straight line in an almost normal manner. Those last days are increasingly rare. I'm not complaining, just explaining why I'm being so careful about buying a Deus. People generally rave about whatever make and model they own and use and Deus owners are no different. Dealers who have contacted me assure me I will love it. After all, they want me to buy one from them. Your evaluation is exactly what I was hoping to get when I posted on forums.

Thanks again,
Storm

Stormrider51
05-22-2013, 02:31 PM
After a lot of thought and the valued opinions of several people, I've decided against buying a Deus. Most seem to agree that it is oriented toward sound and that is my weak spot. I may change my mind should I get to hunt with someone who has one and lets me try it but for now I'll pass.

Storm