PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Finds from the Civil War Skirmish Site

buck57
05-19-2013, 07:33 PM
Made another couple of hunts back out to the first Skirmish Site of the Civil War. Gave up on the Confederate Line location due to the over grown pasture, so decided to hunt the area close to the Union Line. Only found one Musket Ball. Have same problem with the tall grass.
[attach=1]
[attach=2]

Thought about the area I found my first flat button, and hiked over there to work the area. This time, my Garrett was going crazy with signals, and after pulling out a half dozen square nails, and seeing bits of pottery and china along the farmers terrace, I came to the conclusion that an old home site must have been in this area.
[attach=3]
[attach=4]

Welp, besides the nails, we managed to find a few more Flat Buttons, an old Cow Bell and another Indian Head, spoon handle and two more Musket Balls.
Only can work the terrace right now, since the fields have been planted, but in the field, ou can see some large stones from maybe the house fondation. This area is a good 500 yards from the Skirmish Site, but finds seem to be in the same time period. Hoping to find a coin soon.
Good hunting all....
[attach=5]
Scovills Waturbury 1850-1865

[attach=6]
Benedict & Burnham 1843-1849

[attach=7]
Rich Bold Color :huh: That's all it says. Can't find a manufacturer.

[attach=8]
[attach=9]

del
05-19-2013, 07:48 PM
i agree you most likely have a homesite around the area of the flat buttons and chips of blue pottery , i find lots of that blue and white fragments around early 1800's and colonial sites up here. any old maps of the area should tell you of its actual where abouts unless it was down before the map was made but that in itself will give you a good guess to its age. congrats on the buttons and musket ball |:cheering: |:cheering: (whats the caliber ?? as it looks a bit on the smaller size for musket ), the last button is probably just a few years older than the first two , hope you get some coins from the area too.

Dan

buck57
05-19-2013, 08:00 PM
Hey Dan. The ball meassures only 3/8 max. Could it be from a pistol??

Here is the other ball I found this morning. This one meassures 7/16.
[attach=1]

I'm hoping once I can work the field, a coin might pop up. Really want to find me an IH.

HH, Eric