PDA

View Full Version : Time for a rain dance

z118
05-19-2013, 08:08 PM
I had all kinds of time this weekend for detecting which led to high hopes for some goodies... but they were not to be. The earth is pretty dry in most places in this area, so much so that digging is literally painful. I cut several hunts short because my hands couldn't take it any more. I also realized my new Lesche is now as worn down as the old one it replaced. Too much digging I guess. Anyway the poor conditions convinced me to spend some time in tot lots on Sunday. They were moderately productive but not all that exciting.

Long story short I wound up with 212 coins worth $16.28 which includes three wheats, three older nickels, and two 1943 war nickels. I consider war nickels to be something like the booby prize of failed silver hunts. Don't get me wrong, I was happy to get both... very happy.

Here's hoping we get some rain soon.

Happy hunting.

JTGOLD
05-19-2013, 08:16 PM
nice war nic's and very good clad count,I got a brand new lesche still in the box,haven't used it because I like my old hickery a lot better,it is gittin dry here to.

Tony Two-Cent
05-20-2013, 09:46 AM
That's a lot of coins! :shocked04:

I love finding war nickels, I guess because they don't turn up too often for me. They count as silver in my book!

A Lesche that's worn like that is the true sign of a serious detectorist! Keep wearin' them out! thumbsup01

z118
05-20-2013, 10:59 AM
I love finding war nickels, I guess because they don't turn up too often for me. They count as silver in my book!

I've noticed the numbers for the deeper ones can shift quite a bit... I've dug several this year that came in around 12-18 to 12-20. But then when I scan them again after retrieving them they go right to 12-12. :confused:

Tony Two-Cent
05-20-2013, 11:08 AM
I've noticed the numbers for the deeper ones can shift quite a bit... I've dug several this year that came in around 12-18 to 12-20. But then when I scan them again after retrieving them they go right to 12-12. :confused:

I think that's my problem, I virtually never dig any nickel signal that's higher than 12-15. Maybe I'll have to rethink that.

Fire Fighter 43
05-21-2013, 11:08 AM
Nice pile of coins, WTG |:cheering:

Lodge Scent
05-21-2013, 04:18 PM
That is a haul !! I'm used to hearing a lot of iron under my coil but I think I would go insane if I heard that many diggable targets in one hunt. That kind of non stop action must be fun!