PDA

View Full Version : A New Experience But a Nice One For Sure

z118
05-21-2013, 09:19 PM
On Monday evening my son and I headed to a local tot lot for a bit of detecting, a few games of horse, and some goofing around. I only found 99 cents but it was a nice evening and the time spent with the boy was (of course) priceless.

This evening I headed out for to a new spot that I had scoped out last week. I was expecting it to be turf, but the canopy of trees was thicker than I imagined and most of the ground was bare dirt riddled with half exposed, thick tree roots. Oddly, I started hitting shallow targets and a good percentage of them proved to be wheat pennies. They were all 1-2 down; most I could pinpoint with the Propointer from the surface. I can't say I've done much hunting in bare dirt (other than construction sites), and I certainly have never run into this many shallow wheats in one spot. After a half dozen or so I was pretty confident silver was lurking. Sure enough I soon dug a nice '45 Merc. I detected for about 90 minutes and wound up with 53 coins total which included the Merc, a '52 Rosie, a 1940 nickel, a '51 Canadian penny, and 15 wheat pennies. Nothing was deeper than 4 inches, and most were less than 2. I tend to wonder if there are deeper targets to be found, though with all the roots I imagine they would be tough to recover. At any rate, I only covered about 1/3 of the area so I'm excited to head back. My father is coming up for a visit this weekend to at least I will have one good spot to take him to!

Happy hunting...

JTGOLD
05-21-2013, 09:50 PM
good hunt and some nice keepers,wtg.

del
05-22-2013, 04:02 AM
:congrats: on the keepers Z |:cheering: |:cheering:

POKIE73
05-22-2013, 05:56 AM
congrats on your silvers looks like you have a good spot to hit again hope you do well dennis |:cheering: |:cheering:

Tony Two-Cent
05-22-2013, 08:12 AM
Now that looks like a very enjoyable hunt! :yes:

Congrats on the wheat cents and silver. I bet there is more to be found there!

Sal66
05-22-2013, 10:38 AM
:congrats: Nice Hunt !! Did you find any 1936 Wheaties by the way ? There's a common error called a Hub Break , it occurs on the R in LIBERTY. The left leg is missing. Also, on the 1956 penny the bottom of the 6 is missing but unfortunately I don't have one of those. Here's my 1936 penny I found this morning in my collection. I also have a 1868 Nickel that's missing part of the C in Cents and half the S.

Fire Fighter 43
05-22-2013, 07:11 PM
Nice hunt and congrats on the silver and big pile of wheats, WTG |:cheering:

aloldstuff
05-23-2013, 09:28 AM
Sounds like a sweet honey hole. Hope you and your father score big there. :congrats: on your keepers

bob_e99
05-31-2013, 02:22 PM
Matt can find keepers in a pile of dog poop. Thanks for sharing the site with me. It was really fun. :peace:
|:cheering: