PDA

View Full Version : Relic hunting with Del

coinnut
05-25-2013, 12:54 PM
Since rain canceled our professional hunting lol we decided to hunt for ourselves, even if it pours. It did not :clapping: This site is early and can produce Spanish silver and George II's, but for us it was scraps. Some buttons, furniture hardware, musket ball and one lone 1897 Indian and lots of junk. But it was not for lack of trying ;). Sometimes it's better to leave the dirt on your coins. I knew this one was toast, but wanted to clean it and get a date. The back side is way better than the front. I used a toothpick and water to remove the dirt and then had to hydrogen peroxide it to reveal the partial date. It's clean now, but all of the pitting shows. The key was a very interesting shape, so I spent a good amount of time cleaning it. Turns out to be a Spam key rofl But it was fun getting out all day to hunt.
[attachimg=1]
[attachimg=2]
[attachimg=3]
[attachimg=4]
[attachimg=5]

rsarge1
05-25-2013, 01:14 PM
rofl rofl :clapping:

Ill Digger
05-25-2013, 02:04 PM
Turns out to be a Spam key rofl
::huh:: I guess that is what that is, ain't it! lol
Not quite as old as a KGII. :dontknow: lol But the IH saved the day! thumbsup01
Nice finds G!
Congrats! :grin:

del
05-25-2013, 02:20 PM
:shocked03: :wow: thats quite the colonial iron spam key you got there George :poke: :poke: lol lol somehow it looked more authentic with all that rust ;) I still like that area and i think theres more old keepers hiding around. the multi-holed decorated piece is interesting :thinkingabout: :thinkingabout: nice to see you posting again :perfect10:

well heres my meager pickings :embarrassed:
George the small pewter button looks like its has been half cooked in a fire and just a quality mark on the back of the thick flat button . i've been finding a lot of iron relics (forks , knives ,gun parts , buckles, ect.) so i'll be making an electrolysis tub in the near future. i also got a huge aluminum bird tag , a pewter spoon end the ladies decorated sash buckle half was probably my best item of the day. i'm pretty confident i can straighten it out pretty well .

Lodge Scent
05-25-2013, 02:35 PM
Nice digs gents.

Spam spam spam spam, spamity spam, spamity spam......Thanks Coinnut, that song will be ringing in my head for days now :shocked01: lol

pulltabsteve
05-25-2013, 02:55 PM
I looked in the relic spam guide and that's a .40 cent key!!!!! WTG relic hunter :perfect10: :)

Thiltzy
05-25-2013, 07:07 PM
Dan, that sash buckle is really interesting. Can you provide us with a pick of a complete one so that I can better visualize how it was worn or placed? Thanks

del
05-25-2013, 10:49 PM
Dan, that sash buckle is really interesting. Can you provide us with a pick of a complete one so that I can better visualize how it was worn or placed? Thanks

Todd this half of the buckle , the other half would have looked exactly like this . the buckles are usually made of thinly stamped brass or copper (to be light as to not weigh down the sash) , gilted or plated ( some wealthier ladies had silver or even gold ones) . the buckles would of held a colorful fabric or silk in the shape of a belt to accentuate a woman's dress (to even look like a belt sometimes) or even a large fancy hat (depending on the size of the buckle).

the only picture i have is one with the similar hardware on the back , its not oval like mine but you can get the idea as two look like halves to join a complete buckle. hope this helps

Epi-hunter
05-25-2013, 11:05 PM
Turns out to be a Spam key rofl

lol

I'm embarrassed to say that I sat here for like ten minutes after reading this post, trying to figure out what kind of a relic a spam key was. Finally decided that it must be one of those things similar to an ox knob, that you just have to be a relic hunter to know about.

Then I looked at it again and finally recalled that gelatinous ham-like meat wanna-be substance that comes in a can.... lol rofl

I'm sorry George but thanks for the laugh. You are hilarious.... I have laughed more in the last few days since you started posting again than I have in the last years lol

buck57
05-26-2013, 06:30 AM
lol

I'm embarrassed to say that I sat here for like ten minutes after reading this post, trying to figure out what kind of a relic a spam key was. Finally decided that it must be one of those things similar to an ox knob, that you just have to be a relic hunter to know about.

Then I looked at it again and finally recalled that gelatinous ham-like meat wanna-be substance that comes in a can.... lol rofl

I'm sorry George but thanks for the laugh. You are hilarious.... I have laughed more in the last few days since you started posting again than I have in the last years lol

Hey, you and me both Epi-hunter. I was fixin to pull up Goggle to see what that was used for. I'm glad I read your post first. :grin:
Any ways, great bunch of relics there George and Dan. thumbsup01. Was there any markings on the backs of the spoon handles? I have found three now at the Skirmish Site I'm hunting. One had a Roman C on the back, and one had I YATES. Nice buckle Dan. :congrats:

coinnut
05-26-2013, 02:19 PM
Was there any markings on the backs of the spoon handles? I have found three now at the Skirmish Site I'm hunting. One had a Roman C on the back, and one had I YATES.

My pewter piece seems to be plain. Pewter doesn't hold up too well around here.

Yum. Brings back some old memories of a time I actually like to fry them up lol

Skamaniac
05-26-2013, 02:29 PM
Nice digs gents.

Spam spam spam spam, spamity spam, spamity spam......Thanks Coinnut, that song will be ringing in my head for days now :shocked01: lol

That's hilarious! That very song was going through my head two days ago. No idea why except perhaps an impending stroke. I THOUGHT I was finally rid of it. But... NO!

OxShoeDrew
05-26-2013, 04:29 PM
That's hilarious! That very song was going through my head two days ago. No idea why except perhaps an impending stroke. I THOUGHT I was finally rid of it. But... NO!

That's called an ear worm :yes:

George!!!!! I'm glad you're back! So you had to hunt for the scraps that you yourself and Dan left?? awwwwww poor babies :poke: lol

Last time I ate Spam was hurricane Gloria. haha never again....I hope.

coinnut
05-26-2013, 05:20 PM
That's called an ear worm :yes:

George!!!!! I'm glad you're back! So you had to hunt for the scraps that you yourself and Dan left?? awwwwww poor babies :poke: lol

Last time I ate Spam was hurricane Gloria. haha never again....I hope.

You figure we should have at least left us one colonial coin...but no. >:/ Next time I see you I may have to bring a can with me. ;)

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-26-2013, 08:33 PM
i'm in total shock! good to see G back on! and glad to see ya do a post together! :perfect10:

fsa46
05-27-2013, 06:26 AM
Nice outing George. :clapping:

I agree :yes:, it nice to see you posting again. |:cheering: Both you and Dan have to many interesting hunts that we all :grouphug: would love to see.

How's the 3030 working out for you ? :thinkingabout:

coinnut
05-27-2013, 07:50 AM
Nice outing George. :clapping:

I agree :yes:, it nice to see you posting again. |:cheering: Both you and Dan have to many interesting hunts that we all :grouphug: would love to see.

How's the 3030 working out for you ? :thinkingabout:

The 3030 is a good machine, but like all Minelab machines it is just different enough from the previous ones to take me a while to learn. I just recently took one training wheel off of it lol

fsa46
05-27-2013, 08:06 AM
The 3030 is a good machine, but like all Minelab machines it is just different enough from the previous ones to take me a while to learn. I just recently took one training wheel off of it lol

You always seem to have a way of putting things into perspective. thumbsup01

RobW
05-28-2013, 07:31 AM
I used a toothpick and water to remove the dirt and then had to hydrogen peroxide it to reveal the partial date. It's clean now, but all of the pitting shows.

What no sand paper? :dontknow:..................... rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl..... :teasing:

Missed you George

coinnut
05-28-2013, 08:27 PM
What no sand paper? :dontknow:..................... rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl..... :teasing:

Missed you George

I'm saving that just for you Rob :poke: :poke: Bring me some silver and we can try it out. In case I don't see you for a while, here's a little bit of this :bop: :bop: lol