PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Cellar Hole hunts with Dave and my friend Stacey

Thiltzy
05-27-2013, 10:15 PM
I met Stacey thru my metal detecting club. She seemed very interested in my cellar hole finds that I would bring to the club meetings. Immediately we hit it off as she seemed to have that special passion that some of us detectorist have for finding the old stuff.
She had never hunted any cellar holes but, I could tell she was very eager to learn about what was involved in hunting these sites. I decided to invite her and finally she was able to make it out with us. It seems as though she had a great time and is expected to join us on future hunts.

The finds were far and few but I was able to nab an 1817 and 1819 Matron large cents. It was obvious that these sites had already been hammered but Dave and I always seem to squeek out some coins and relics from these sites. Also found an Asian coin or token but have no clue what it really is. I don't think it's very old :dontknow: :dontknow:

Thiltzy
05-27-2013, 10:17 PM
More pics...

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-28-2013, 06:32 AM
i agree todd she's a go-getter :detecting: had a fun weekend thanks. your coins are in decent shape too!

sprosoff
05-28-2013, 07:05 AM
Thank you two for taking me out! I had a great time at my first cellar hole and learned so much about how to find them and where to look once I'm there! Very excited to get out there again!

Tony Two-Cent
05-28-2013, 07:23 AM
Great photos, Todd, and congrats on the two Matron heads! They are both in decent condition. :yes:

Way to introduce Stacey to the joys of cellar hole hunting. I'm sure she will be finding awesome colonial coins and relics soon!

Bell-Two
05-28-2013, 07:28 AM
Wow the conditions on those Large Cents is just super! Those old Chinese Cash Coins can be extremely old, there is a way of reading and dating those...but I don't know how lol. Great pictures too.

z118
05-28-2013, 07:43 AM
That looks like a fantastic, peaceful place to detect. Congrats on some nice keepers too!

Tony Two-Cent
05-28-2013, 08:10 AM
Thank you two for taking me out! I had a great time at my first cellar hole and learned so much about how to find them and where to look once I'm there! Very excited to get out there again!

Welcome to the forum, Stacey! Glad to have you here. I am envious of your cellar hole detecting with Dave and Todd. They are two of the best in the business!

del
05-28-2013, 12:33 PM
all i know is you two guys are stingy with your coppers ;) between the two of you , you could steer her to find one of the ones you targeted :eyebrow:

I met Stacey thru my metal detecting club.

And she still agreed to go out metal detecting with you after that :wow: lol :poke: lol

hey seriously Todd congrats on the coppers :clapping: |:confused:)

Lodge Scent
05-28-2013, 12:38 PM
Looks like another good hunt! Woods are really greening up!

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-28-2013, 03:26 PM
all i know is you two guys are stingy with your coppers ;) between the two of you , you could steer her to find one of the ones you targeted :eyebrow:

And she still agreed to go out metal detecting with you after that :wow: lol :poke: lol

oh ya mean kinda like what George has to do on your hunts together? a little red :usaflag: saying hey Dan! copper could be here :blush:

del
05-28-2013, 03:31 PM
oh ya mean kinda like what George has to do on your hunts together? a little red :usaflag: saying hey Dan! copper could be here :blush:

well he's fired as i haven't gotten a copper in ages lol lol i've about forgot what they sound like on my machine ;)

sprosoff
05-28-2013, 04:03 PM
all i know is you two guys are stingy with your coppers ;) between the two of you , you could steer her to find one of the ones you targeted (not sure how to grab someone else text yet, new to posting on forums!)

I don't know how Todd and Dave feel but I like your line of thinking Dan! In all fairness, they did feel really really bad for me that I didn't find a copper, worse than I felt!

sprosoff
05-28-2013, 06:13 PM
Welcome to the forum, Stacey! Glad to have you here. I am envious of your cellar hole detecting with Dave and Todd. They are two of the best in the business!

Thanks Tony! This site is addictive, I have been off and on it all day today! Can't stop checking in to see new posts :twirlingeyes: I had a great time with Todd and Dave and can't wait to get back out there with the two of them!

Thiltzy
05-28-2013, 06:28 PM
rofl :hysterical: It is so funny, yet scary on how well you know us Dan.

Now what fun would that be? I would never want anyone leading me to a find there would be no sense of accomplishment in my mind. That would almost be like going to a planted hunt(God..I despise those :blush:) The thrill of the hunt and knowing I made a great find all on my own is way more satisfying to me. I know your just poking fun at us Dan but I just wanted to make this statement so that the idea of leading someone to a find never crosses any one's mind that hunts with me. In the back of my mind I would feel as if I cheated someone out of the pure enjoyment of making there first great find.

Dan, a funny story about yesterday was when Dave called Stacey over to listen to one of his targets. (She mentioned she would like to here our targets if we got a good signal.) Stacey was using her new Etrac and was still learning the targets and proceeded to swing over Dave's good target. Dave opens the plug and out pops a bullet casing <} lol lol... I tell Stacey that I will find her a real target to listen to and my very next repeatable target gets under my coil and out pops an 1817 Matron :hysterical:

Dave , I just had to get that story in the post, :poke: :beerbuddy: :callme:

I seriously laughed out loud after reading this one Dan. You freakin crack me up :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

Thiltzy
05-28-2013, 06:39 PM
Thanks Tony! This site is addictive, I have been off and on it all day today! Can't stop checking in to see new posts :twirlingeyes: I had a great time with Todd and Dave and can't wait to get back out there with the two of them!

Stacey, you will not find a nicer group of people than on this forum, I promise you. I have posted on other sites but now I only post here.These people are so kind and helpful and are true salt of the earth people.

Very kind words Tony and much appreciated. However, I can not assume that title. I learned 90% of what I know about cellar hole hunting from Dave and Dan. I can't thank them enough for sharing their knowledge with me. |:confused:)

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-28-2013, 06:43 PM
Stacey, you will not find a nicer group of people than on this forum, I promise you. I have posted on other sites but now I only post here.These people are so kind and helpful and are true salt of the earth people.

hey what about us peppers? Dr. Pepper Commercial - I'M A PEPPER - David Naughton (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQPN3UKQM-U#)

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-28-2013, 06:45 PM
rofl :hysterical: It is so funny, yet scary on how well you know us Dan
Dan, a funny story about yesterday was when Dave called Stacey over to listen to one of his targets. (She mentioned she would like to here our targets if we got a good signal.) Stacey was using her new Etrac and was still learning the targets and proceeded to swing over Dave's good target. Dave opens the plug and out pops a bullet casing <} lol lol... I tell Stacey that I will find her a real target to listen to and my very next repeatable target gets under my coil and out pops an 1817 Matron :hysterical:

Dave , I just had to get that story in the post, :poke: :beerbuddy: :callme:
I seriously laughed out loud after reading this one Dan. You freakin crack me up :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

yeah yeah whateva! >:tongue: ya also failed to mention my next GOOD target that i called ya BOTH over to hear..and what was that? huh huh huh? :poke: :bop: :behave: :hammer: >:tongue: :blackeye: :hysterical:

Thiltzy
05-28-2013, 06:53 PM
hey what about us peppers? Dr. Pepper Commercial - I'M A PEPPER - David Naughton (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQPN3UKQM-U#)

Hahahah...I would like to be a Pepper too!

del
05-28-2013, 06:58 PM
Todd , i kid of course :yes: George did give ol'Davey a planted find on their first detecting hunt together and i've found great or good targets for others and even let them dig and keep the item . I feel a newbie should atleast find a few items ( atleast some buttons) on their own and if they can't well somethings wrong , maybe they have too much discrimination or not enough sensitivity or just listening to the very loud , easy , high vdi targets. luckily i haven't given away any GW buttons or rare coppers yet when i've let them go over my target and let them dig and have the item . although is pretty easy to steer someone into an area with out them even knowing it and the excitement and look on their faces is just about priceless , i wouldn't let on that i went over that target earlier and spoil it for them . I think its great you two took Stacey out , she will definately learn from some of the best .

Dan

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-28-2013, 07:10 PM
Todd , i kid of course :yes: George did give ol'Davey a planted find on their first detecting hunt together and i've found great or good targets for others and even let them dig and keep the item . I feel a newbie should atleast find a few items ( atleast some buttons) on their own and if they can't well somethings wrong , maybe they have too much discrimination or not enough sensitivity or just listening to the very loud , easy , high vdi targets. luckily i haven't given away any GW buttons or rare coppers yet when i've let them go over my target and let them dig and have the item . although is pretty easy to steer someone into an area with out them even knowing it and the excitement and look on their faces is just about priceless , i wouldn't let on that i went over that target earlier and spoil it for them . I think its great you two took Stacey out , she will definately learn from some of the best .

Dan

yep my 1st spanish half reale! George planted it and said dave check out this signal! whatever it is you can dig it and have it. I pulled it out and said wow they had card board flips and staples in the 1700's? :cheesysmile: look they musta been coin collectors george!. George made my day that hunt.what a nice gesture! now i'm feeling guilty.how bout you todd? crying01

sprosoff
05-28-2013, 07:44 PM
yep my 1st spanish half reale! George planted it and said dave check out this signal! whatever it is you can dig it and have it. I pulled it out and said wow they had card board flips and staples in the 1700's? :cheesysmile: look they musta been coin collectors george!. George made my day that hunt.what a nice gesture! now i'm feeling guilty.how bout you todd? crying01

This whole thread is cracking me up!! :hysterical: Don't either one of you feel guilty! I would have hated you feeding me a great target, it would not have been near as satisfying as finding one on my own! My time will come, still have some of those dues to pay! ;) Yesterday just wasn't my time to find the great stuff but I still found regular stuff. :-\

del
05-28-2013, 07:50 PM
This whole thread is cracking me up!! :hysterical: Don't either one of you feel guilty! I would have hated you feeding me a great target, it would not have been near as satisfying as finding one on my own! My time will come, still have some of those dues to pay! ;) Yesterday just wasn't my time to find the great stuff but I still found regular stuff. :-\

Stacey , the trueth is they both sold their souls for coppers lol rofl

Stacey , you have a great attitude about it all and patience and persistance alone are the keys to find you them coppers , i wish you the best of luck on your quest to find them . :cheering: :cheering: glad you decided to join the forum .

Dan

Thiltzy
05-28-2013, 07:53 PM
Todd , i kid of course :yes: George did give ol'Davey a planted find on their first detecting hunt together and i've found great or good targets for others and even let them dig and keep the item . . although is pretty easy to steer someone into an area with out them even knowing it and the excitement and look on their faces is just about priceless , i wouldn't let on that i went over that target earlier and spoil it for them . I think its great you two took Stacey out , she will definately learn from some of the best .

Dan
Of course I know your kidding Dan. It is the the right frame of thought and a great gesture because your a good person Dan. I have thought about doing the same thing for others but I already mentioned why I would have a guilty conscious about doing that. If someone did that for me I would know that such a person is very kind hearted but then I would not want to keep the item and if they refused to take it back, I would slip it into their pouch when they weren't looking. It's just my frame of thought because I believe in earning everything I have in life.

BTW Dan, thanks for helping us out on the phone yesterday even though we never found the site :dontknow:

Thiltzy
05-28-2013, 07:59 PM

HA!... I knew it!!! Great minds think alike.

Stacey, I just explained to Dave on the phone why I would never do such a thing. I even said to him that I really felt that you would feel the same way as I would if someone lead me to a find. Your post proved me right, thank you.

I want everyone to take a mental note of Stacey's reply here.

sprosoff
05-28-2013, 08:33 PM
Stacey , the trueth is they both sold their souls for coppers lol rofl

Stacey , you have a great attitude about it all and patience and persistance alone are the keys to find you them coppers , i wish you the best of luck on your quest to find them . :cheering: :cheering: glad you decided to join the forum .

Dan

Thanks Dan! And I learned how to quote someone in a post properly! Thanks for the warm welcome!

OxShoeDrew
05-29-2013, 03:54 AM
Now who the heck started this thread, oh yeah Todd :-) Maybe this can help for the cash coin. http://www.calgarycoin.com/reference/china/chinaid3.htm
I'm glad you all had a good time and glad Stacey joined the group. Triple coin day! Keep it up. |:cheering:

Epi-hunter
05-30-2013, 07:45 PM
Hey Stacey, I'm a little late here but welcome to the forum! You sound like a real trooper. I would give my right arm to go on a hunt with Dave, Dan, Todd, and George. (Although I'm left-handed lol rofl ) Keep going on those hunts; you will find the good stuff. And keep posting! It's great to have another female here happydance02

sprosoff
05-31-2013, 06:29 PM
Hey Stacey, I'm a little late here but welcome to the forum! You sound like a real trooper. I would give my right arm to go on a hunt with Dave, Dan, Todd, and George. (Although I'm left-handed lol rofl ) Keep going on those hunts; you will find the good stuff. And keep posting! It's great to have another female here happydance02

Thanks so much for the warm welcome! :grin: I am obsessed so I will definitely be going out as often as I can get away from my mom/wife duties! ;) I've asked everyone I know who has a pre-rev house if I can detect their yard and if they know of anyone else who will let me, I've been really lucky lining up some great spots! Now I just need to return the favor and take those boys with me if I can lure them away from cellar holes!

Epi-hunter
06-01-2013, 07:49 PM
Thanks so much for the warm welcome! :grin: I am obsessed so I will definitely be going out as often as I can get away from my mom/wife duties! ;) I've asked everyone I know who has a pre-rev house if I can detect their yard and if they know of anyone else who will let me, I've been really lucky lining up some great spots! Now I just need to return the favor and take those boys with me if I can lure them away from cellar holes!

Hey, it's great to hear from you! Love your posts. And your enthusiasm for the hobby I love too! :perfect10: Good luck luring those boys away from cellar holes lol thumbsup01 I think they are obsessed

I'm Angie, by the way. I understand the mom duties as I have three kids of my own. Good luck on those new sites!