PDA

View Full Version : Question on mxt pro?

Treasureman25
05-30-2013, 12:26 PM
Hi im new to detecting. Well the new detectors that is. I've used an old coinmaster 6000 before but now want to upgrade. I am going to place an order for the mxt pro soon. I've decided I want to get the 9.5 coil for the trashy areas. Now here's my question. I plan on hunting some caches, hoards, ect. I want to read as deep as possible into the ground. I'm seeing that I can get a 21x17sef coil compatable with the mxt pro. I've been unable to find anyone or really any good info on this coil setup with the mxt pro. What can you tell me about it? Also while using a coil like this will I still be able to see coins say in the first 5 or 8 inches of soil?

P.s. I'm from Wi where we obviously get a lot of frost in the winter. Some are trying to tell me any jars of coins or bigger items will be pushed up closer to the surface over time. Have you ever heard this?

Boulder
06-21-2013, 01:59 PM
Hello,

I have a VX3 with a Detech V-Rated 15x12 SEF Butterfly Search coil, and let me tell you it is BIG, not heavy just BIG.

The price point is very good, under $200 delivered.

I would imagine that the size coil your talking about is around $300. For that dollar amount you should consider getting two coils, the 2nd being a White's Eclipse Shooter DD 4 x 6 Search Coil or similar for tree roots and shrubs.

Just something to think about, I'm sure some of the more seasoned members can give you other thoughts and options.

Best of luck on whatever you choose, John. thumbsup01

Thiltzy
06-21-2013, 02:09 PM
How deep do you need to go?

Lowjiber
06-22-2013, 07:12 AM
P.s. I'm from Wi where we obviously get a lot of frost in the winter. Some are trying to tell me any jars of coins or bigger items will be pushed up closer to the surface over time. Have you ever heard this?

I have a very hard time understanding the logic behind that claim. If it were true, we'd expect jars of coins, and a variety of other similar objects, to just pop out of the ground sooner, or later. (Aristotle said that to test any theory, take it to it's extremes.)

Like you, I've heard similar stories. Those expounding the theory usually say the freezing of the soil causes the movement upward. Here's my problem with that...

In your neck-o-the-woods, the frost line often exceeds 48 inches, with rock-hard freezing down to as much as three feet. As moisture in the soil freezes, it expands. Sounds quasi-scientific so far, huh?

Here's the rub. The ground starts freezing from the top, not the bottom. If expanding soil is gonna push a jar anywhere, it's downward. Even then, if one stretches their imagination to think a jar will move at all in the soil, it had better get moving pretty quickly because the jar is soon to be encapsulated in frozen soil. (No sarcasm intended.)

Along with those who expect jars to rise, there are others who will swear that old coins move downward over time because they find them deeper than clad most of the time. Those folks actually ignore the fact that the mass of a Merc is hardly sufficient to make it move anywhere on its own. The more plausible explanation is that topsoil and decayed plants build up over time.

CyberSage
06-22-2013, 08:08 AM
Great information Lowjiber!

coinnut
06-22-2013, 06:32 PM
I never bought the frost thing. lol If it moved at all it would be in parts of an inch :dontknow: I would expect any jar that is buried is pretty close to the depth that it was originally planted, plus or minus soil being added or taken away. Now the advantage of that large coil may be that it may have difficulty picking up small items, which will help you in determining the larger targets. Whatever coil you choose, practice with a jar of coins and see what size footprint it gives you in the pinpoint mode. Then just dig similar size pinpointed targets. Just some thoughts on it.

johnedoe
06-23-2013, 01:10 PM
Some additional thoughts on the dynamics of Frost heaving
If any of you have lived in the north you can see first hand what frost heaving does to the roads.

Here is an article from wiki about the subject of Frost Heaving.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frost_heaving

:confused:

Here's a little something else to think about..... there is about 40,000 (Yes FORTY THOUSAND) tons of space dust that falls on the earth daily...... :white:usaflag::

Ole # 7
02-11-2014, 09:19 AM
I grew up near farms in northern lower Michigan, and every early spring the farmers were always looking for extra help to pick stones that heaved out of the ground every year. The stones would break expensive equipment. From a very casual observers point of view, the ground freezing then thawing ALWAYS caused stones to come to the surface. I can see how that idea could get started, but I have NO idea if its right!!!

giant056
02-11-2014, 10:04 AM
I have to agree with Lowjiber about if the coins are going to go anywhere it's probably going to be down, however I've noticed in a ballfield that I hunt frequently that after winter I can go places where I wasn't picking up targets the previous year that there's some targets that are very audible that weren't previously and I'd say its probably from the dirt moving targets in a different more readable position. Lucust trees are notorious for bringing coins up cause they grow fast and the roots spread horizontally, there's spots I hunt regularly that are abundant with locust and just in a time period of five years there's a good chance you'll hear something you didn't hear five years ago.

I'll also add the fact that the D2 coil that comes with the MXT pro will be a better choice than the 9.5 in trashy areas, I hunt semi trashy area's on a regular basis with great success. The first DD coil that I bought was when I was still using my MXT really made all the difference in the world for the really trashy area's and that was the 4x6DD, then I got the 6x10 and ultimately the D2 coil. At first I was skeptical about using the DD coils but now that's all I ever use anymore.

Longhair
02-11-2014, 11:44 AM
I personally don't expect that the heave necessarily pushes them up or down so much as it can change their orientation. A coin that has gone undetected due to it being on edge, perhaps even near a trash object, might easily get tilted some, making it easier to detect than it was before the heave.
The ground does move. Around here we've had a lot of frost quakes this year, and I refuse to believe that if it can move enough to make the loud noises that it does that it's not moving enough to shift a coin.

I don't think that dead vegetation burying them and frost heaving are all that that goes on. Ground saturation from spring melt, flooding, rain, wind and water erosion, and even animal traffic are all viable factors.

coinnut
02-11-2014, 11:57 AM
I think ground moisture is probably the biggest factor. You get some amazing depths when the ground is saturated to a good depth. Now surface moisture is a different story :lol: I love digging in wet dirt as long as the surface is fairly dry. That works the best for me.

Tom
02-11-2014, 01:49 PM
Some additional thoughts on the dynamics of Frost heaving
If any of you have lived in the north you can see first hand what frost heaving does to the roads.

Here is an article from wiki about the subject of Frost Heaving.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frost_heaving

:confused:

Here's a little something else to think about..... there is about 40,000 (Yes FORTY THOUSAND) tons of space dust that falls on the earth daily...... :white:usaflag::

Thats an interesting Wiki johnedoe, thanks for sharing!