PDA

View Full Version : This Girl Is On Fire

Bell-Two
05-30-2013, 09:04 PM
Alicia Keys fans will recognize the song title, which is easier than recongnizing what I found today. I had a good quarter signal reading 8+ inches, first thing in the hole was a marble and then at the bottom was what looked like a silver disk that was blackened and had bumps on it. Felt like a silver quarter, right size, right weight but could not tell for sure. Turns out to be an 1892 Barber Quarter a Barber Quarter that went through a fire as Goes4ever quickly discerned. A Barber Quarter was on my wish list for this year since I had never dug one but when I was wishing I guess I made no requirements on the condition however I will take it! Cleaned up some so here are before and after. The before was after I washed it in soap and water.

z118
05-30-2013, 09:10 PM
Oh man! That's a sweet find but a bummer on the burns... I guess you are right; you should have wished a little more specifically. A first is still a first though. Makes you wonder how it got burnt like that - maybe a house fire? Or was someone just careless with what went into the trash fire? One way or another, congrats on a nice dig!

coinnut
05-30-2013, 09:28 PM
Hey, That find looks familiar :thinkingabout: I got a barber dime like that this year. An 1897. There must have been a lot of burning done in the late 1800's :dontknow: Congrats on your first Barber Quarter. The next one has to be better lol

[attachimg=1]

ChrisinCT
05-30-2013, 09:33 PM
Now that you broke the barber quarter ice you'll find another soon.

JTGOLD
05-30-2013, 09:44 PM
nice find,wtg.

Bell-Two
05-30-2013, 09:44 PM
Oh man! That's a sweet find but a bummer on the burns... I guess you are right; you should have wished a little more specifically. A first is still a first though. Makes you wonder how it got burnt like that - maybe a house fire? Or was someone just careless with what went into the trash fire? One way or another, congrats on a nice dig!

One will never know, did not see any other evidence of a large fire...maybe this is what happened!

aloldstuff
05-31-2013, 07:22 AM
Wishes have to be specific.... :congrats: on your 1st Barber quarter.

Tony Two-Cent
05-31-2013, 07:30 AM
Well Tony, now you get to set a secondary goal: To find a Barber Quarter that isn't burnt! lol

Hey, at least you found one! They aren't easy to come by. And oddly enough, the date is still very clear on that one. :yes:

I'm assuming the marble in the same hole wasn't melted or burnt? That is odd. Really makes you wonder what happened to that quarter.

Still a cool, interesting find! |:cheering:

Full Metal Digger
05-31-2013, 07:23 PM
That's why you shouldn't rub your silver coins! rofl Best wishes for a better looking Barber quarter next time! Dave.

Lodge Scent
06-01-2013, 06:28 PM
That burnt coin is a cool find none the less :yes:

del
06-01-2013, 09:37 PM
it really looks like you an Coinnut clean your coins the say way lol lol

seriouly ,congrats on the barber , i hope the next one is prestine. :yes: