PDA

View Full Version : Bushel of Wheats, 1 Silver, & POLICE WERE CALLED!

z118
05-30-2013, 09:05 PM
Tonight I headed out to a new spot in the city. It seemed like it might be a bust upon arrival but after a bit I dug a nice 1910 wheat followed shortly after by two more. By that point I figured the spot had potential and resolved to spend the whole evening there. Then a cop pulled up, asked me what I was doing, where do I live, how did I find this place, have I ever been arrested, do I have any warrants, etc, etc, etc. He was very nice and clearly figured out in short order that I was not doing anything wrong. He said that a concerned citizen had seen me digging and had called it in. I asked if I should leave and he said that would be best. I got the sense I could have pushed the issue and been allowed to stay but I'm not really the type to make waves. I figure I'll just hit this spot again at a later time and during a less busy time of day.

So from there I went to another spot I have started hunting this year that had given up wheats and two Mercs in three other hunts. With that nice rain we got I was hopefully I would make some more finds. I started hitting wheats right away. After the 6th or 7th I figure I had to get some silver. And then I did - a nice '42 Merc. I pulled another 5 or 6 wheats after that along with two Canadian pennies form the 40's and a 1948 nickel.

It was a hot evening but it was good getting out as always. The Mrs seems to have me pretty well booked this upcoming weekend so I'm glad I got something shiny to tide me over a bit.

Happy hunting...

coinnut
05-30-2013, 09:33 PM
Concerned citizen is just a another word for 'nosy neighbor with nothing better to do.' lol Next time call the cops on the peeping Tom person in the window watching you detect lol One favor deserves another ;) Nice silver by the way.

JTGOLD
05-30-2013, 09:37 PM
good hunt and some nice keepers,wtg.

POKIE73
05-31-2013, 05:48 AM
congrats on your finds sometimes its best to do exactly what you did come back another day and more than likely you will have no problem dennis :detecting: :detecting:

midas
05-31-2013, 05:59 AM
Don't you just love it! Concerned citizen that doesn't have a clue as to what you're doing. Digging holes, you might be planting a bomb. You could be destroying the lawn, leaving open holes or raised divots for people to trip on, removing items of historical value or otherwise that belong to the town and people thereof. Yes, us metal detectorists are a scourge that should be dealt with swift and harsh.

aloldstuff
05-31-2013, 07:17 AM
Sorry about the run in with the local authorities. I know what you went thru. :congrats: on your merc and pile of wheats.

Tony Two-Cent
05-31-2013, 07:39 AM
Sorry about the unnecessary visit from the police. Oh well, at least the officer was nice about it, and you ended the evening with a pocket full of nice keepers anyway.

:congrats:

swamp yankee
05-31-2013, 02:35 PM
Discetion/common sense is always the best when dealing with Mr.Earp I introduce myself to the locals and give a business card too. Keeps them away in most cases but there's always some fool who just has to open the pie hole! good luck to all this season and HH....

bob_e99
05-31-2013, 03:08 PM
Sorry to hear about the police. It has happened to me several times this year but not from anyone calling. It just happens that more towns are getting frustrated with people who leave holes all of the place so they just ban the hobby outright.

In any case, congrats on another mercury dime. I still have only one.

:congrats:

coinMD64
06-02-2013, 11:23 AM
Yes I experienced some visits from cops while metal detecting at school totlots. I had to move to different location after talking to cops. Anyways, nice finds!!!

Fire Fighter 43
06-02-2013, 12:10 PM
Congrats on the nice digs and sport to hear about the police visit. I would ask about detecting there and only return if I had permission from someone with authority. This way if the PD shows up agian you are covered. Good luck.