PDA

View Full Version : The Old Man's version of the hunt

bob_e99
05-31-2013, 03:05 PM
When I go up to visit my son now, I stay at various places along the way to do some metal detecting. It cuts a long drive into smaller drives and gives me the opportunity to metal detect in new areas. Unfortunately the places that I hit are all way too obvious so I didn't really score too much of anything on the way up. The only exception was a very well detected old picnic area where I found only 3 coins. One was a memorial Lincoln penny, and the other two were a wheat penny and a mercury dime in the same hole. I got lucky on that one because I was literally in the bushes.

When I got to his house, he took me to a nice site where I scored a silver quarter in a small clad spill. A bit later I found a silver Rosie. And then .... he found a really nice silver ring. He likes to remind me who the better detector is |:confused:)

The second site of that day, he found a silver quarter and a Rosie dime while I found just some clad, and not great clad at that.
The following day we went to what could have been a great site but I wasn't really finding anything except new clad quarters. Matt found an Indian Head in this area that was a bit mutilated but still a nice find. On Sunday we tried a playground and then another site where we had hunted previously (My quarter and Rosie site) but I got nothing but clad and Matt found another Indian Head.

On my way home, the town I picked turned out to be very well hunted. While some of the school grounds looked interesting, school was in session so I didn't want anyone mistaking me for a pervert. The following day I decided to try a site where Matt was suppose to meet me on the way up. This area turned out very nice. I got a silver quarter/silver dime combo at two different sites. The second site yielded the Kennedy half. Four silvers in a day I think is a record for me and especially two quarters.

All in all it was a great trip where I actually returned home with some nice keepers. Of course while visiting Matt we had totally awesome food and drink. He's a very good cook.

Thanks again Matt for putting me up during the holiday weekend.

Epi-hunter
05-31-2013, 03:39 PM
Wow, really nice finds and it sounds like you two had a lot of fun. I love reading both of your detecting stories.

I think I just put Matt's silver ring on the banner, if that's the same one you were referring to. Very nice!

bob_e99
05-31-2013, 04:12 PM
I think I just put Matt's silver ring on the banner, if that's the same one you were referring to. Very nice!

That is indeed the ring. :smitten: It really is banner worthy.

aloldstuff
05-31-2013, 05:48 PM
Some nice hunting especially your 4 silver day..... :congrats:

Tony Two-Cent
06-02-2013, 08:06 AM
Great post and super finds! Wow, look at all of that silver! :loveit:

Especially the silver quarters! They aren't easy to find these days.

Congrats on the terrific father and son hunt! :clapping:

z118
06-02-2013, 07:31 PM
That is a fine pile of silver right there. A silver Washington quarter and a Rosie on three separate hunts... what are the odds? You got a lot more clad than I did... and more silver... but less wheats. Hmmm... At any rate I'm glad we both got some keepers. I wish we could have hit that one town, I wonder what both of us might have pulled together? Maybe next time. Hopefully our good luck will carry over at the beach this summer!

JTGOLD
06-02-2013, 10:46 PM
:wow: did you leave anything for the next time,good hunting and very nice silver,wtg.

bob_e99
06-03-2013, 06:21 AM
A silver Washington quarter and a Rosie on three separate hunts... what are the odds?

Don't forget that you scored a silver quarter and a silver dime on that second site after you found the ring. So that makes four sites that gave up a quarter/dime combo. So yes, what are the odds? As I said, your area is way more fun to detect. :grin:

del
06-04-2013, 06:02 PM
Bob, I enjoy reading about your friendly family competiton lol :yes: looks like some nice productive spots but the enjoyment of spending time together is priceless .

leslie(nova scotia)
06-17-2013, 07:55 AM
From the land of the Bluenose.....
good read and a fair amount of clad. Collect pressed pennies so if up for a trade just pm me. Good luck on future hunts! <;)