PDA

View Full Version : My first 2 Cent Piece and a few other fun finds!

sprosoff
05-31-2013, 07:43 PM
Went detecting in the woods not far from my house and right off the bat my machine started beeping! :shocked04: First find was a bowl to a pewter spoon (please tell me if I am wrong!) then two feet from that another banging hit and only a couple of inches down I dug my first 2 cent piece 1865 and in fantastic shape! <: I was so happy! Two feet from that I got another hit and it was a dropped musket ball and this was all in the first 5 minutes of the hunt! I was so excited about this site and kept swinging for another few hours, the only other salvageable find for me was a gag loop (which I may have misidentified as a sword holder had I NOT consulted this site before officially ID'ing! :embarrassed:). I am now going to attempt to upload my pictures so we will see how this goes!

Update: Tried to get better shots of the 2 cent piece, hopefully a little less blurry! :crossfingers:

del
05-31-2013, 07:56 PM
:wow: wow great coin :congrats:

now thats not a bad attemp at uploading pictures Stacey but the one of that 2-center just don't do it justice ;) anyway you can focus it a bit better ??

Rob L
05-31-2013, 08:03 PM
Great find! It looks like it was dropped yesterday. That site probably has more goodies.

coinnut
05-31-2013, 08:08 PM
That is a nice two cent piece :happy: Congrats on finding one. Yep, looks like a pewter spoon bowl. Some great finds and all lined up for you lol Nice hunt.

sprosoff
05-31-2013, 08:39 PM
:wow: wow great coin :congrats:

now thats not a bad attemp at uploading pictures Stacey but the one of that 2-center just don't do it justice ;) anyway you can focus it a bit better ??

Thanks Dan! I snapped those with my iphone then when I edited them in iphoto to fit in this post it blurred them a bit, I'll dig out the good camera and try again tomorrow and hopefully get a better shot! ;)

sprosoff
05-31-2013, 08:41 PM
Great find! It looks like it was dropped yesterday. That site probably has more goodies.

So close to my house I will probably be hitting it often! :detecting:
Thanks!!

Thiltzy
05-31-2013, 10:38 PM
The coin looks great Stacey and even better than when you sent me the text. Nice job at cleaning it up as well. I am trying out a new site tomorrow after work. I got a lead from a good friend so hopefully I will find some keepers to post.

Keep up the good work :detecting:

OxShoeDrew
06-01-2013, 04:27 AM
First coin to use In God We Trust.
Your's is in great shape. Congrats on your first, hopefully many more.

sprosoff
06-01-2013, 05:20 AM
First coin to use In God We Trust.
Your's is in great shape. Congrats on your first, hopefully many more.

Thanks! :) And thanks for the trivia! Always looking to learn more!

Bell-Two
06-01-2013, 07:16 AM
Beautiful coin and the gag loop is neat too.

Lodge Scent
06-01-2013, 06:47 PM
That 2 center is a beauty !

Good strategy on IDing that piece as a gag loop. It is better to have the experts upgrade it to a sword holder rather than have it start as a sword holder and get it beat down to a gag loop :yes: Most of the ones posted actualy are gag loops.

sprosoff
06-02-2013, 06:59 AM
That 2 center is a beauty !

Good strategy on IDing that piece as a gag loop. It is better to have the experts upgrade it to a sword holder rather than have it start as a sword holder and get it beat down to a gag loop :yes: Most of the ones posted actualy are gag loops.

Thanks! So glad I did a little research ahead of time and saw the posts where that very thing happened and I did not want to be a victim of that! I'm going to try to get a better picture of the two cent piece today and hopefully get in a little detecting before the rain starts!

Tony Two-Cent
06-02-2013, 08:09 AM
Wow, that two-cent piece is GORGEOUS! :loveit:

One of the nicest looking ones I've seen come out of the ground. :yes:

:congrats:

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-02-2013, 06:08 PM
sure! don't invite us :teasing: gorgeous 2 center! a sweet hunt!

sprosoff
06-02-2013, 08:44 PM
sure! don't invite us :teasing: gorgeous 2 center! a sweet hunt!

Oh Dave, I've been looking for cellar holes for you guys and I know I owe ya! I was going to venture into the woods on some open space I just found out about and check to see if I see the signs! ;) Would you venture down this way to me if I do?? :shocked01:

Stacey

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-03-2013, 08:18 AM
Oh Dave, I've been looking for cellar holes for you guys and I know I owe ya! I was going to venture into the woods on some open space I just found out about and check to see if I see the signs! ;) Would you venture down this way to me if I do?? :shocked01:

Stacey

lol you don't owe us Stace lol sure i'd go.i'll start walkin now rofl

sprosoff
06-03-2013, 09:56 AM
lol you don't owe us Stace lol sure i'd go.i'll start walkin now rofl

Hmmmm, anyone else up your way who we can invite that might love to give you a lift?? ;)

RobW
06-03-2013, 10:08 AM
:loveit:..that 2 center's a BEAUT!

del
06-03-2013, 01:16 PM
wow thats better Stacey :yes: thumbsup01 the detail on that coin is very sharp beautiful coin you found :smitten: big improvement on the pictures :perfect10:

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-03-2013, 06:14 PM
Hmmmm, anyone else up your way who we can invite that might love to give you a lift?? ;)

nope! i will just walk :bananadance:

sprosoff
06-03-2013, 09:29 PM
nope! i will just walk :bananadance:

We'll just see if Todd will make the loop and pick you up! First I have to make sure there is something for you guys to see! :twirlingeyes:

Ill Digger
06-03-2013, 10:58 PM
Like the others have said... she's a beauty!! :loveit:
It cleaned up great! How did you clean it? Just soap & water? Hot Peroxide bath? :dontknow: ..... :->
Congrats! :grin:

coinnut
06-04-2013, 09:51 AM
We'll just see if Todd will make the loop and pick you up!

Let him walk lol

sprosoff
06-04-2013, 10:23 AM
Like the others have said... she's a beauty!! :loveit:
It cleaned up great! How did you clean it? Just soap & water? Hot Peroxide bath? :dontknow: ..... :->
Congrats! :grin:

Thanks! I tried just soap and water but it wasn't getting the cemented dirt off so I read on the forum and decided to try the hot peroxide bath and that with a few toothpicks did the trick! ;)

swamp yankee
06-04-2013, 10:26 PM
Went detecting in the woods not far from my house and right off the bat my machine started beeping! :shocked04: First find was a bowl to a pewter spoon (please tell me if I am wrong!) then two feet from that another banging hit and only a couple of inches down I dug my first 2 cent piece 1865 and in fantastic shape! <: I was so happy! Two feet from that I got another hit and it was a dropped musket ball and this was all in the first 5 minutes of the hunt! I was so excited about this site and kept swinging for another few hours, the only other salvageable find for me was a gag loop (which I may have misidentified as a sword holder had I NOT consulted this site before officially ID'ing! :embarrassed:). I am now going to attempt to upload my pictures so we will see how this goes!

Update: Tried to get better shots of the 2 cent piece, hopefully a little less blurry! :crossfingers:
Congrats on the great find on the 2 center,class A shape and very little wear. Hope you get lots more this year too......

Ill Digger
06-04-2013, 11:39 PM
.... and decided to try the hot peroxide bath and that with a few toothpicks did the trick! ;)
You ain't kiddin' it did! thumbsup01
Man that works awesome! :yes: |:cheering:
Now I just gotta go out and find me a 2 center to clean up! lol

sprosoff
06-05-2013, 10:33 AM
Congrats on the great find on the 2 center,class A shape and very little wear. Hope you get lots more this year too......

Thanks! Cant wait to get out there and try again! ;)

BKM
06-06-2013, 09:54 AM
Beautiful 2-Center you've got there. Congrats on a great find. :congrats: