PDA

View Full Version : Short house hunt - they moved some dirt!!

coinnut
04-27-2010, 08:10 PM
Passed by my favorite house they were supposed to move last November, but couldn't. It's an old 1790ish colonial, and I have had exclusive permission to hunt it. It also was owned by a man who sold junk metal :ticked: I've done ok there, but was waiting for them to move the house and grate the yard. Although they didn't move the house yet, I saw BIG piles of dirt. They took dirt away so the moving crew could get under the house. Removed was from 1 to 12. The closer you approached the house, the more dirt was removed. So I hurried up and finished my work for the day and managed to get 1 1/2 hours detecting time. I thought, relax, you may not find anything :-\ First hole, an 1848 Large Cent, 2 down lol That puts it at 14, if the dirt was there :shocked04: Second hole was a great toy soldier. I've found 3 of these before there and they all retain their paint! Finished out the hunt with a 1918, 1919, 192:clapping: Wheat and a 1943 P Silver (war) Jefferson and a dateless Buffalo. Not a lot, but a great little hunt. Can't wait until the level them dirt piles.

angellionel
04-27-2010, 08:49 PM
That large cent help up so well. :shocked04: It is a very nice one. thumbsup01 That is a very good selection of finds too, and the toy soldier is great! I bet you can't wait to hit that site again. :grin:

Epi-hunter
04-27-2010, 09:10 PM
That is a BEAUTIFUL cent George! And even better is that toy soldier. That has to be very valuable! Wow, I would LOVE to find one of those....

HEAVYMETALNUT
04-27-2010, 09:42 PM
sweet! yep alot of goodies in them piles! nice LC and another nice soldier to add to your collection! thumbsup01 take some in the field pics if ya can.would be interesting to see.i'm sure you can squeeze a camera in that TIM the TOOLMANapron of yours ;)

sjv
04-27-2010, 10:18 PM
Nice Large Cent!! Del and I hunted a house they tore down awhile ago. I guess the excavating company filled the basement. So I'm sure the take dirt with them for other sites as well. This guy and I hunted a 1900's school and he found a 1774 KG copper. At another school he found a CT. Copper and the school looked like it was from the 60's maybe. I've seen new houses and buildings being put up all the time, but I never stop to ask permission. Everyone in the east is so worried about Liability. Down south you hear people having no problem getting permission. I wonder if it's easier to ask someone who's sellling. Tell them last chance to see what's in the ground b4 they move. :yes:

John M
04-28-2010, 04:43 AM
Looking good George.The toy is in great shape and is in an odd position,looks like he is climbing out of a trench.

del
04-28-2010, 05:50 AM
they still have that house sitting there ,jeez they could of totally dismantled it and rebuilt somewhere else quicker than to just move it whole. well atleast it gives you enough time to pick at it little by little . how many coppers have ya found there now:huh:
and its so sickenly conveinently close to you too. did i mention how much i hate you :poke: :poke: lol lol

nice digs George

KirkPA
04-28-2010, 01:57 PM
You guys are the best! You will hit 50, George. Keep striving and flipping those greenies out of the soil. Connecticut isn't done yet giving them up. Our kids will be digging them in 2050. rofl

Kirk

coinnut
04-28-2010, 02:38 PM
they still have that house sitting there ,jeez they could of totally dismantled it and rebuilt somewhere else quicker than to just move it whole. well atleast it gives you enough time to pick at it little by little . how many coppers have ya found there now:huh:
and its so sickenly conveinently close to you too. did i mention how much i hate you :poke: :poke: lol lol

nice digs George

The move is supposed to be June 12th a Saturday :confused: That's probably not the best day of the week to shut down roads and cut power in a small town. Boy will that cause some stir lol I think that makes 5 large cents from that place. This one was deep, so maybe it's in good shape because the rain might not reach that far down, before it gets absorbed. And I believe you have mentioned many times how much you hate me ;)

You guys are the best! You will hit 50, George. Keep striving and flipping those greenies out of the soil. Connecticut isn't done yet giving them up. Our kids will be digging them in 2050. rofl

Kirk

Thanks Kirk, This copper is a Massachusetts found one. I'm on the border in Mass, right next to the town of that other guy :confused: who lives in Connecticut. I just visit him to steal his Connecticut coppers from time to time rofl
[/quote]

Looking good George.The toy is in great shape and is in an odd position,looks like he is climbing out of a trench.

Yea, that's the fourth one (3 good ones) I found and the paint has survived. I bet it's lead paint for sure lol I think he's climbing out of a trench or going down a hill. I bet someone who collects them would pay a couple of bucks for them. Made in USA, probably around WWI.

Thanks, Sal, Angie, Dave and Angel. Oh and Dave, I'm not the pro with the camera attached to my hip lol but if I can fit it into my suitcase, I'll grab a shot of it. I just didn't want you to drool over bare ground :embarrassed:

HEAVYMETALNUT
04-28-2010, 05:45 PM
cool G thumbsup01 love to see what the site looks like with a shot of the house up on blocks etc

SeabeeRon
04-28-2010, 07:17 PM
Great post guys!! The soldier is way cool!!

HEAVYMETALNUT
04-28-2010, 09:51 PM
G ummm after lookin at that soldier.i believe his stance is going down after being shot.see the blood on his stomach? just a thought. the reality of war depicted in a lead soldier maybe ;)
and definitely WWI the helmet says that thumbsup01

sniffy
04-29-2010, 05:48 AM
G ummm after lookin at that soldier.i believe his stance is going down after being shot.see the blood on his stomach? just a thought. the reality of war depicted in a lead soldier maybe ;)
No dave, thats the belt that holds his camera.

coinnut
04-29-2010, 08:56 AM

Naw, that's his utility/ ammo/ whatever belt lol I still think it's an attempt at an action shot :yes: You know, sliding down a hill, probably into the trench, using your gun as a support. But the red lipstick has got to go rofl. Here's some shots of that colonial. The front part is the only piece moving, the rest is being trashed :( Now, NO drooling Dave :tongue:

sjv
04-29-2010, 09:05 AM
Hey. Who did you contact to detect the site? Landowner or foreman of the job moving it?

coinnut
04-29-2010, 09:23 AM
Hey. Who did you contact to detect the site? Landowner or foreman of the job moving it?

Owners of the property. I'm not the best guy to do that lol but I couldn't let that one slip by. It's posted Private Property, so I lucked out. Matter of fact, I'm going there right now to hit a patch I couldn't hit before because the truck was blocking it lol

HEAVYMETALNUT
04-29-2010, 05:59 PM
damn hadda get a new keyboard :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

coinnut
04-29-2010, 07:10 PM
Matter of fact, I'm going there right now to hit a patch I couldn't hit before because the truck was blocking it lol

Ok so I went back to hit that patch and got nothing lol silence, well except for some nails. Too much dirt was removed and the good stuff is in the big piles around back. So I started to grid areas that I've done before and did manage to find 3 wheats, 2 memorials, 1 Canadian, and a 1919 Mercury Dime. A large iron buckle and an iron spoon (old) plus a live 22 cal bullet round out the hunt.

Cheap Thrills
04-29-2010, 11:20 PM
Very cool finds and nice pictures George . I just know there's going to be more great finds for you there . thumbsup01 I really like the lead soldier also . The only old lead soldier I ever found is a half of one he was in a very small dirtpile where I also found a crusty 1908 Indian head ,a 70's clad dime and a few pieces of old dishes . The dirt had been brought to a High school from another location to use for football field maintenance . I never was able to find out where that dirt came from . :crying02: Never found a large Cent here out West and only know 2 people who have .
It's sure going to be interesting to see what else you pull out of there .

Baba

hoser
04-29-2010, 11:31 PM
Outstanding! Boy that is some house. You could three of mine inside that puppy. Love the lead soldier and a big congrats on the merc. If they left the dozer there just go move all that dirt around and find the goodies. But you have to promise to put it all back....by morning. rofl

RIdetector
04-30-2010, 03:32 PM
That Lg cent is in nice shape.Great hunt!!

coinnut
04-30-2010, 03:52 PM
If they left the dozer there just go move all that dirt around and find the goodies. But you have to promise to put it all back....by morning. rofl

I bet I could do it and no one would notice. lol But they were smart enough to not leave anything mechanical out there for me to use.

Thanks Baba and RI. It is a good spot while it lasts. thumbsup01

HEAVYMETALNUT
04-30-2010, 05:12 PM
G did ya climb the mounds and swing?reminds me of my excavated park days.that was fun! :drool:

coinnut
04-30-2010, 05:16 PM
G did ya climb the mounds and swing?reminds me of my excavated park days.that was fun! :drool:

Yea, I was desperate and climed them. Nothing but big pieces of aluminum sheet metal and some underground wiring that was torn up. Not one small target. The beginning layers of soil I'm looking for are at the bottom of the pile :( I just have to wait. My fear is it will be pushed inside the hole and gone forever :ticked:

HEAVYMETALNUT
04-30-2010, 10:24 PM
Yea, I was desperate and climed them. Nothing but big pieces of aluminum sheet metal and some underground wiring that was torn up. Not one small target. The beginning layers of soil I'm looking for are at the bottom of the pile :( I just have to wait. My fear is it will be pushed inside the hole and gone forever :ticked:

yeah that will suk if that happens.good luck to you guys sat.I used the map and overlay and found like 4 sites up in the woods way off rd.hope they haven't been hit too hard.going in the morning.

Ferrous
05-01-2010, 01:54 PM
www.bonanzle.com/booths/CollectibleAntiques/i]: www.bonanzle.com/booths/CollectibleAntiques/i (http://: [url=http://www.bonanzle.com/booths/CollectibleAntiques/i)...
Thought your soldier was interesting so I did a little search. As far as his stance, could it be possible he was throwing a grenade?

coinnut
05-01-2010, 05:06 PM
www.bonanzle.com/booths/CollectibleAntiques/i]: www.bonanzle.com/booths/CollectibleAntiques/i (http://: [url=http://www.bonanzle.com/booths/CollectibleAntiques/i)...
Thought your soldier was interesting so I did a little search. As far as his stance, could it be possible he was throwing a grenade?

Hey Ferrous, Couldn't get that link to work, but I think I found the site it was supposed to go to. Looked at a bunch of soldiers and only one was similar (Manoil Barclay Toy Soldiers) Hopefully you can retry posting the link. As for him throwing a granade....could be. That would definitely be a pose they would use for toy soldiers.

ProPointer
05-01-2010, 07:36 PM
Coll digs guys.

I wish I had your luck. :crying02: