PDA

View Full Version : Taking Things For Granted.

Pona
06-03-2013, 11:57 AM
Not a metal detecting story not even a story at all, although it will start once upon a time It's more like one persons little dream about visiting America.

Once upon a time,....
see? I told you it would start with that ;)
Back in the late 70's when I was just an even smaller chap with no responsibilities at all (I couldn't even spell mortgage let alone pay one) I remember watching a short film on a group of lads from California who used to skateboard empty pools and old school play grounds...and so began my fascination with most things from the USA...I say most things as you can keep Rosie O'Donnell and the entire cast of Friends to yourself :cheesysmile: What were you thinking allowing people like that to become famous:huh: and then to top that off sharing them with us on the other side of the pond!! \:hammer:
So as I was saying my fascination with the USA...My first hero's if you like were Jay Adams, Tony Alva and a guy who rode a bmx called Greg Esser. I wanted everything...the skateboard, the bmx and the baseball cap to suit. A baseball cap was none exsistant back then and I even wrote to Ronald Regan to send me one (still waiting on his reply) My Mom said he was probably busy with other stuff at the time and I shouldn't hold it against him.
I always wanted to visit the States but this didn't happen until around 2000...so as you can imagine I was like a kid in a candy store...too old for bmx and skateboarding now but still went out of my way to visit sports shops just to check out all the gear. :)
I did manage to cross a few things off my must do list when in Florida...and these I list below which I'm sure wont impress any of you but for me, a boy who had waited a life time to do meant the world |:cheering:

1. buy a newspaper from one of those boxes that you put the money in and then pull down the lid....I never said they were going to be good must do's so its your own fault for still reading!!!
2. Sit in a baseball ground dug out and spit whilst adjusting baseball cap in the style of many a film actor I had watched as a child. and on this, I even ran up and down the metal grand stand in the style of Grease :) which made me realise how much noise they must have made when filming that scene!! :happy:
3. Hail a yellow taxi cab.
4. Take mail out of one of those mail boxes with a little :usaflag: on the side...The guy who's house it was, was not too happy but has since agreed to drop all charges so everything is fine now.
5. Go on an air boat and see a bald eagle...superb!!

So you could say what some people take for granted others find fantastic...
The same could also be said when talk about metal detecting finds (as I'm only now begining to understand myself)...there's no such thing as a bad find, I have read so many posts on various forums where people say I didn't' really have a good day I only found..etc
Well please show those finds, I will probably never ever get the chance to find any of those coins/finds that you find, for me seeing them on here is the next best thing. Likewise, having read some of your replys for the 2 coins I posted I dont think I will ever view a badly corroded roman coin with the same disapointment I used to.
So there you have it, I did end up talking about metal detecting after all so it is kind of relevant......and thanks for making me realise this! happy days :).

Jon :uk:usaflag::

del
06-03-2013, 03:27 PM
I know what you mean Pona , i too see it with some of your countrymen as well with all the focus on the Celtic , Hammy's and Roman finds. The large Georgian coppers are almost never cleaned or even talked about because they are so common over there. I personally love to see how they fair in your ground and like to know if you chaps find as many counterfiets of them as we here .

hey if you can fogive us of Rosie o'Donnell and the entire cast of friends , both weren't my idea I can assure you lol lol we can forgive you all for Kajagoogoo :dontknow: or that &quot:beerbuddy:ean fellow :eyebrow:

Good post Pona

Dan

Pona
06-03-2013, 05:09 PM
Kajagoogoo and Mr Bean rofl :white:usaflag:: Yep good come back.

The large Georgian coppers are almost never cleaned or even talked about because they are so common over there. I personally love to see how they fair in your ground and like to know if you chaps find as many counterfiets of them as we here .
and there my friend is an even better example for my whole post...and example I have to say I was Just as guilty of. I am not aware of many counterfeit coins but this again may be down to my lack of knowledge for this period of coinage... I'll get back to you on that one Dan :)

Thiltzy
06-03-2013, 05:11 PM
Does this mean I should be posting pics of all the coroded zinc pennies with the white powder looking residue on them, or whats left of them? God I hope not they sure are ugly and depressing!
Anyway, great post Pona was a fun read

coinnut
06-03-2013, 07:39 PM
Agreed Pona. Anytime you see the same thing day after day, you get used to it. No wife jokes now lol I am happy if I find one good find in a hunt... a nice button, a fully struck coin, even if it isn't that old, or anything else that is a keeper. We would all love to have them glory hunts, but sometimes it's better to just be happy with what you get. And Del did have a lot to do with Rosie becoming famous. ;)

lee
06-03-2013, 09:25 PM
Sings.....your to shy shy hush hush eye to eye..............I won't have a bad word said about the musical genius who is Lamal from kajagoogoo !!!!....now then...I must go and brush me mullet....
Joking apart, see how nice us bloody English are ? Really nicely put Jon mate , you make me proud to be a Brit son.

Pona
06-04-2013, 05:56 AM
Sings.....your to shy shy hush hush eye to eye..............I won't have a bad word said about the musical genius who is Lamal from kajagoogoo rofl Lamal speaks very highly of you too so I've heard Lee :)

Really nicely put Jon mate , you make me proud to be a Brit son Thank you Brother :)

OxShoeDrew
06-05-2013, 07:17 PM
Hey....I like Rowen Atkinson :grin: Ever see &quot:beerbuddy:lack Adder? Classic thumbsup01
I did all the things on your list Pona...with the exception of the air boat.....I might have went on one in the 80s...that decade was slightly blurry lol
To your point though....I agree.....there is a guy on another forum who loves to dig shot gun shells. :dontknow: I wish he lived around here. We try to ignore them.