PDA

View Full Version : finds for 1st week of metal detecting, and a nice kennedy halfie!

jarod
06-05-2013, 06:35 PM
I have been metal detecting for about a week now, and I am absolutely hooked! I love finding new things, even pennies amaze me :)
I have some pictures below, so ill tell you the stories about them
1st pic-all my finds in a first 5 days/week of metal detecting, hadn't cleaned them yet
2nd pic-a 1939 nickel I found while cleaning my coins, uncovered the date and was surprised :)
3rd pic- the other day I was looking for my mom's metal mister hose cap that had flew off earlier into our 40 foot by 20 foot backyard, so i took my metal detector out to look for it. I had searched my backyard many times, and even found 2 pennies and a dime while looking for the cap. I found a sort of weak signal, and it sounded like it was deep in the ground, but i dug 3-4 inches anyways (usually how deep coins are in my backyard). I searched the hole and it had an even stronger signal. I didn't know what to expect, so i dug 3 more inches down. I looked over to the pile of dirt i made from the hole as i started reaching for my metal detector, and saw a beautiful large-sized coin on the pile. This got me excited. Did i find a token from the 1800's? i went inside and looked at it. at first all i saw was the 9 and the 4, so i thought it might have been a 1904 sort of coin. I cleaned it and saw Kennedy's face, and the date. 1964! It was my first silver find! I am very proud of this find, and it encouraged me to go out to different spots. Who knows what you can find! the picture is what it looked like right when i found it
4th pic-same as above, but cleaned and front and back.
5th pic - 1956 wheatie i found in the sand

JTGOLD
06-05-2013, 06:52 PM
you did great for your first week and :congrats: on that silver half and wheat,keep at it and you will get better at it,,oh yes it is very easy to get hooked on detecting as I got hooked in 1962.

DIGGER27
06-06-2013, 06:24 AM
Great first week.
I found only garbage and junk for my first.
You are really hooked and it shows.
CongratZ!

BKM
06-06-2013, 09:59 AM
Ugh...been hunting for a few years and yet to get a half of any variety. crying01

That's one heck of a first week, welcome to the hobby.

DennisH
06-06-2013, 11:43 AM
Way to go with the %90 silver Kennedy Half!!! :twirlingeyes:

I have been hunting well over a decade at about 400 to 500 hour a hunting a year and yet to get the %90 silver Kennedy half. Very sweet that you did, again WTG!!!!! :->

coinnut
06-06-2013, 07:54 PM
Your first silver is a half? :shocked04: You'll never forget that lol Nice find and many more silvers (and some gold) coming!!