PDA

View Full Version : Looks like really old gold to me...and a pearl!

DIGGER27
06-07-2013, 06:32 AM
Haven't had much time to dig this week, last night after dinner the wife says go hunting and maybe you will stop that nervous twitching.
I head over to a large Jr. college in my neighborhood that is my go-to site when I don't want to drive far.
I have been all over this place and I wasn't really expecting much, just digging in the dirt was calming me down, but in a grassy island dividing a large parking lot next to a curb I found this.
Came up clean as a whistle from about 2 deep, and has that old world hand made look about it...real old.
Some kind of partial mark inside, but I think this thing is so old it was made before it was a law that marks had to be stamped, or it has been passed down and worn so much most of the marks inside have just been worn off.
I know it's gold, but I really need to stop putting off ordering a test kit because I believe this is my first piece of gold that is at least 18k...maybe even higher.
It just has that really old gold look.
This is gonna kill me till I test it or have it tested to find out.
Also that seems to be an actual, natural pearl mounted in this beautiful little thing.

It's almost sad to find heirloom stuff like this because I think it was probably passed down through a few generations, but the wife is really happy because it fits her perfectly and she has already claimed it.
Getting it away from her to take these pics took some real effort.

I set a personal goal this year to find 12 pieces of gold in any form, one for each month of the year.
I just love to set goals and then hit them.
6 months in I have found one gold bracelet and this makes my 5th gold ring.
All found with the F2 and my buddy the little sniper coil.
This is shaping up to be my best year ever in quantity and quality. :happydance01:

DennisH
06-07-2013, 10:02 AM
I love that ring!!! The fact the pearl is worn like it is makes even better!!! :happy:

I got the whole range of gold, silver and platem test acids on e-bay for under $10, well worth buying to satisfy what yea just gotta know.

JTGOLD
06-07-2013, 10:28 AM
thats a very nice looking ring and it does look like gold, great find,wtg.

lee
06-07-2013, 11:42 AM
loverly ring mate, it almost looks home made to me.

DIGGER27
06-07-2013, 01:09 PM
loverly ring mate, it almost looks home made to me.

Thanks!

It's that not so perfect look that leads me to believe it is pretty darn old.

Full Metal Digger
06-07-2013, 03:01 PM
Very nice find! Looks like a fresh-water pearl to me.

Epi-hunter
06-07-2013, 08:13 PM
That is a beauty. It does look handmade :perfect10:

zrickkid
06-07-2013, 10:48 PM
Looks art deco or 1930s to me. Nice find!

del
06-07-2013, 11:16 PM
congrats on the gold DIGGER27 :perfect10:

Looks art deco or 1930s to me. Nice find!

i would agree , 1920's or 30's from its style

coinnut
06-08-2013, 05:38 PM
Nice looking ring. Sure looks like it's going to test gold. I would have guessed the 30's also, and you are probably correct about it being hand made, otherwise it probably would have been marked with whatever K value it has. I'm guessing 14K.

PL8MAN
06-08-2013, 09:42 PM
Beautiful ring ! thumbsup01

aloldstuff
06-13-2013, 11:11 AM
Great find. Hope ya get that test kit soon. :congrats:

Pona
06-13-2013, 11:28 AM
What a great find. well done.

Years ago people checked the authenticity of a pearl by lightly rubbing it on their front teeth...(if its a pearl it will feel slighty rough/gritty).
Now I'm not suggesting for one second that you try this but.....you know you want too :)

*Edit* Curiosity got the better of me..just googled how to check a pearl is real and all the top answer still suggest rubbing it on your teeth |:cheering:

DIGGER27
06-13-2013, 02:14 PM
My wife did...gritty.