PDA

View Full Version : A bit of silver - Part 2

bob_e99
06-09-2013, 04:10 PM
On Saturday I went back to the site from my previous post although this time I went into the woods a bit further. This site was interesting because it did not show any signs of recent visits by people (no new bottles, cans, mcdonald's bags, etc). It was pretty clean and there were signs that there was something there in the past (so I doubt that I'm the first to detect there) and the ground was not super trashy. In any case, while I didn't find much in my four hours of hunting, it was exciting to walk away with two silvers (an SLQ to boot). I have to say that it is exhilarating to hunt in an area with no clad and to know that any coin is going to be old.

Sunday, lady luck just blew me off and it was a day best not to remember. I went to a couple of sites and came home with a solitary Canadian penny. Thank heaven for cold beer.

Thanks for looking.

z118
06-09-2013, 06:59 PM
Nice hunt! That a fine looking SLQ. I hear what you are saying about hunting a spot where most of the coin targets are oldies. The excitement over each target makes up for the scarcity of targets overall. Clearly you should keep hitting that spot. That's 5 silvers in two hunts, right? Get back there!

z118
06-09-2013, 07:05 PM
And dang it - an SLQ sure as heck ain't no bit of silver either. You want to see a bit then you come on one of my hunts and dig 30 wheat pennies just to get a booby prize war nickel. THAT'S a bit. lol An SLQ is a big happy dance and a stupid grin for a week!

coinnut
06-09-2013, 08:16 PM
And an S Standing Liberty Quarter to boot :clapping: Nice. They used to sell a fluid (silver date restorer) that brings the date back. It etches it but makes it looked frosty and stained. They had one for buffalos that worked real good. I think it was called nic-a-date. Would love to see if that was the rare 1918 S 8 over 7 variety. I would take quality targets over quantity anyday. Nice finds!

Epi-hunter
06-09-2013, 08:32 PM
Very nice finds! I have to agree with Matt - SLQ do not come along all that often and deserve the silver happy dance :happy:

JTGOLD
06-09-2013, 09:45 PM
nice silver and wheat finds,I got me one of them no date quarters a few days ago to
they are still fun to find thoe,,very good hunt.

EdNargel
06-09-2013, 10:35 PM
Nice SLQ!! that is one of the coins right at the top of my to find list...WTG!!

del
06-10-2013, 02:44 PM
a very nice looking SLQ :smitten: Bob |:cheering: |:cheering:

aloldstuff
06-13-2013, 07:21 AM
I agree with coinnut....quality over quantity. Getting a SLQ with an s mint mark and no date would drive me crazy. Please keep us updated if you decide to nic-a-date it.

bob_e99
06-13-2013, 12:30 PM
I agree with coinnut....quality over quantity. Getting a SLQ with an s mint mark and no date would drive me crazy. Please keep us updated if you decide to nic-a-date it.

Up until now I didn't really know about nic-a-date or stuff like that. I'm leaning toward buying some and checking out the quarter. Thank you all for looking and the great information about restoring the date. I'll get back to this post when I have some results.

coinnut
06-13-2013, 07:17 PM
You can still buy the nickel date restorer, but the silver date restorer was pulled from the market years ago. I recall reading that it used nitric acid to pull away the less dense silver from around the more dense silver date. Some people use the chemicals that you test gold karat with. A drop of 10K or 14K etc... until it starts to show a date. Silver takes a long time, is toxic to the touch and smell, and darkens the coin. Nickel date restorer works very well, makes the nickels a dull silver and is a bit less toxic. But if you have never put the drops on a worn out buffalo, you are in for a treat. lol The first couple of drops turn very dark and murky, so you tip the coin and drain and repeat. Once the drops are a more golden color, the coin is looking like it was just struck :shocked04: Wear gloves.

Tony Two-Cent
06-18-2013, 02:45 PM
Congrats on the bit of silver! I love the SLQ, they are always a thrill to find! In the 2+ years I've owned my E-Trac I have only found three of them, and two were dateless.

Here's a thread on another forum where someone claims that soaking a worn silver coin in vinegar can bring the date back:

http://www.cointalk.com/t105590/