PDA

View Full Version : Evening Hat Trick

z118
06-11-2013, 09:41 PM
I had a great hunt this evening... I headed to a grassy spot that I had hunted for the first time the week before. In that first hunt I landed a decent amount of clad and two wheats. I headed back hoping that I could score some silver. Much of the clad I had dug on the first hunt was deep and from the late 60's so I was hopeful I could land a silver Rosie or Washington quarter if I was lucky. It was a nice evening and the rain we have gotten lately had softened the earth something wonderful. I didn't get much clad to start but I did hit a few deep wheats. Maybe 40 minutes into the hunt I got the shortest chirp of a nickel tone you can imagine. I pulled a large plug and maybe 8 down found a 1927 Buff. That kind of surprised me since I would not have expected anything quite that old at this spot. About 3' away I got a similar deep signal but it was a nice high tone this time. I pulled another huge plug and from down deep retrieved a sweet 1927 Merc. Now that made my night! Amazingly maybe a foot away from that I got another nice tone and pulled another 1927 Merc! Three 1927 coins within five feet of each other in a neighborhood much younger than that... I feel lucky! The Mercs are in nice shape too. I hunted for another hour or so and scored more wheats, some older Jefferson nickels, and finally a 1943 Merc. It was a great evening!

I covered most of this spot but I'll certainly head back at some point. The grass was pretty long so at a better time of year I can hopefully get better depth and maybe pull some more goodies!

Happy hunting...

dave in iowa
06-11-2013, 09:59 PM
great hunt , nice looking mercs
|:cheering:

Epi-hunter
06-11-2013, 10:35 PM
Wow, those mercs look like they were dropped right after they were minted! :perfect10:

That spot either had dirt hauled in from somewhere else at some point, or has longer history than is evident. Definitely a place to hit again! Congrats |:cheering:

Ill Digger
06-11-2013, 11:47 PM
Nice hunt Z!! |:cheering: :clapping:
Angie is right! :yes: Those Mercs look like they fell out of a roll of new coins back in 1927! :shocked04: :drool: :drool: lol
I'd be going back too if I were you! :yes: :detecting:
Congrats on the goodies! :grin:
But I gotta ask... whats the tag item in the upper left hand corner of the first picture?(under the die) ::huh:: A dog tax/tag? :dontknow: :->

bob_e99
06-12-2013, 05:17 AM
Holy c***. Those mercs do look like they just came from the mint. And three of them! |:cheering: |:cheering: |:cheering:

Three 1927 coins within five feet ...

BTW one is 1943 unless I not understanding something.

:congrats: on another great hunt. I think somehow your luck is leaving me and returning to you. lol

DennisH
06-12-2013, 05:20 AM
Great hunt!!!! Those dimes look fantastic!!! <:

z118
06-12-2013, 06:13 AM
But I gotta ask... whats the tag item in the upper left hand corner of the first picture?(under the die) ::huh:: A dog tax/tag? :dontknow: :->

It's an old dog tag with the name and address of the dog, and I think an old 3L 4N format phone number which would put it in the 50's sometime I believe.

BTW one is 1943 unless I not understanding something.

The Buff is 1927 as well. Seems like an odd coincidence given that even in a modern spill the chances of all three coins being the same year is pretty slim.

Thanks for the comments all!

EdNargel
06-12-2013, 08:01 AM
Great hunt WTG!!!

Hook
06-12-2013, 08:11 PM
good job going slow and sniffing out the goods! congrats Zman!

coinnut
06-12-2013, 09:15 PM
What are you minting coins now? lol Them '27 Mercs are beautiful :smitten: They are just about fresh from the mint :peace:

aloldstuff
06-13-2013, 06:59 AM
Those merc's look just great..... :congrats: on your hat trick. Once the grass gets cut I am sure that there are some more waiting for you.

bob_e99
06-13-2013, 07:12 AM
The Buff is 1927 as well.

I figured I wasn't seeing something. Big dope slap to me. :embarrassed:

Thanks

leslie(nova scotia)
06-14-2013, 08:00 AM
From the land of the Bluenose.....
nice assortment of finds....silver none too shabby either. Thanks for posting and good luck on future hunts! <;)

Tony Two-Cent
06-18-2013, 02:53 PM
Wow, Matt, those 1927 Mercs are GORGEOUS! :loveit:

They must have been brand new when they were dropped! Pretty cool that there was a 1927 Buffalo Nickel near them too.

Congrats on the terrific hunt! |:cheering: