PDA

View Full Version : Is this true?

Epi-hunter
06-12-2013, 10:26 PM
Do batteries in smoke detectors ONLY die in the middle of the night? :dontknow:

Because that is the only time it has ever happened to me. It has probably happened a dozen times to me and NEVER in the daytime. So I did a google search this morning and learned that there is a great debate about this and people are trying to prove it scientifically.

The smoke detector that is mounted at the top of my vaulted (20 foot) ceiling in the entry way started chirping at 3AM last night.

I thought I would ignore it until morning (this lasted four minutes). It is worse than Chinese water torture.

I would have needed to call the fire department to obtain a ladder long enough to change the batteries on this smoke alarm. Why do builders put smoke alarms at the top of 20-foot vaulted ceilings? 8/

I solved the problem by standing on a tall bar stool and beating the thing to death with the end of a broom. :cheesysmile:

Lowjiber
06-13-2013, 05:48 AM
Do batteries in smoke detectors ONLY die in the middle of the night? :dontknow:

Why do builders put smoke alarms at the top of 20-foot vaulted ceilings? 8/

I solved the problem by standing on a tall bar stool and beating the thing to death with the end of a broom. :cheesysmile:

Your first question is an axiom of Murphy's Law. When things go bad, they will do so at the worst possible time.

The highest point in a room is the logical place, as smoke will (almost) always gather there first.

I like your broom solution. It goes hand-in-hand with shooting it.

coinnut
06-13-2013, 03:38 PM
Nice lol I'm gonna invest in smoke detectors, new cars for you, and anything else you Fix rofl But on the flip side, I can relate to the hammer in solving home issues :yes: It does work quite well ;)

del
06-13-2013, 03:48 PM

lol rofl I can picture you Angie , just taking all your frustration out on that defenseless appliance.

coinnut
06-13-2013, 03:51 PM
lol rofl I can picture you Angie , just taking all your frustration out on that defenseless appliance.

When she gets that look in her eyes :twirlingeyes: stay out of her way lol

OxShoeDrew
06-13-2013, 05:00 PM
lol
Last week our's was actually going off for 10 or 15 seconds every ten minutes or so. >:{ After going off 5 or 6 times, during the night, I was able to sleep through them :shocked04:

whammy
06-13-2013, 07:49 PM
Just curious, was that an OSHA approved bar stool ? ( heehee )

pulltabsteve
06-13-2013, 09:03 PM
\:[ Nice job with the broom :poke: Maybe invest in a ladder. It will be cheaper in the long run http://www.sears.com/neiko-12-foot-extended-multi-fold-aluminum/p-SPM2665972701?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1
;) Besides not having a smoke detector, I hope you're doing well Angie! :waving:

chief5709
06-14-2013, 05:00 AM
I think you have something on this theory we seem to only get calls for this in the middle of the night...