PDA

View Full Version : gold ring recovery

dave in iowa
06-13-2013, 07:41 PM
Im going to look for a lost 24k wedding ring , lost in 1975 , they have a general idea where it was lost , what tones on the e-track might i look for and numbers , any help would be good , should i look in all metal, how deep might it be after almost 40 years

leslie(nova scotia)
06-14-2013, 07:56 AM
From the land of the Bluenose.....
good luck on your quest! <;)

coinnut
06-14-2013, 07:59 PM
Hey Dave , I would use enough discrimination to knock out the nails for sure. I don't think it will be very deep and auto +3 should do it. If you can find a manual sensitivity that is stable and higher then the auto+3 , then go for that. But running stable is the best thing to do. Since we don't know the size and don't often see 24K on a ring, I would just go 2 tone ferrous and dig every signal. Gold comes in all over the place dependant on size (mass) and karat. 24K is very soft and the ring may be bent or even broken, so I would dig some broken or iffy signals too. Just how I would try it.

dave in iowa
06-15-2013, 12:38 AM
Thank you very , much ,im sure it will be helpfull, ill keep you posted if i find it

Epi-hunter
06-15-2013, 12:40 AM
Hi Dave,

I agree with George. I would definitely not go all metal. I would keep with my program (which basically allows for everything except iron, which you don't want - but I don't know what program you are using).

The more info you can find out about the ring (10k vs 14 vs higher) plus the thickness/size of it) will help. Unfortunately in my experience they come in all over the place, depending on size and alloy content, so it would help to know that.

The E-Trac is not the best gold machine but a wedding ring can be found if that is the goal. It would also help to know what kind of ground you are detecting (lots of trash? public area or private?) Those things would make all the difference to me in what I would dig.