PDA

View Full Version : New spot

pulltabsteve
06-16-2013, 04:17 PM
The past 2 weekends, Mike and I have spent some time at 1 of our new spots we got permission to detect. The house was built in 1860 and surprisingly no old coins yet. I did get some cool items that I gave to the homeowner. A silver plated octagon make up case, a lip stick tube, a good luck token from 1928 and a way cool Democratic convention medallion from 1912. :bananadance:
I spent 20 minutes digging under a root the size of my leg trying to get what im sure is an IH penny... >:{ Next time back im bringing my dewalt battery powered sawzall :yes: I'll win the battle! |:cheering: Happy Fathers Day!

coinnut
06-16-2013, 05:05 PM
Some neat finds. I like the medal too. Did you get to keep any of the items?? Them coins are smarter than you think lol They hide well.

pulltabsteve
06-16-2013, 05:36 PM
Did you get to keep any of the items??

Hey G, I could have kept all the items but chose to give them to the homeowner. They mean more to her and her husband than they do me. Not only have we made lifelong friends, we obtained a good reputation and they have also got us permission to detect 3 neighbors houses. We also met her daughter and her husband today who were visiting from New Jersey. They own a 1760 home and we we're invited to do a detecting road trip :-)
We told them we like old coins, and that is what we will keep. It's all good.

coinnut
06-16-2013, 05:43 PM
Hey G, I could have kept all the items but chose to give them to the homeowner. They mean more to her and her husband than they do me. Not only have we made lifelong friends, we obtained a good reputation and they have also got us permission to detect 3 neighbors houses. We also met her daughter and her husband today who was visiting from New Jersey. They own a 1760 home and we we're invited to do a detecting road trip :-)
We told them we like old coins, and that is what we will keep. It's all good.

Sounds like a great deal.

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-17-2013, 05:05 PM
thats so awesome steve! more contacts and some nice digs!

OxShoeDrew
06-17-2013, 05:22 PM
I hope you had a nice fathers day Steve. Is that a watch fob? I thought so :dontknow:
That's a really nice item.
I'm still having great luck with that digger I won from your contest! |:confused:)

Thiltzy
06-17-2013, 06:12 PM
Really nice bunch of some unique relics :smitten:

del
06-17-2013, 06:30 PM
congrats on the fob and other relics Steve , glad your taking pictures of the stuff before you give it all away ;)

pulltabsteve
06-17-2013, 07:00 PM
congrats on the fob and other relics Steve , glad your taking pictures of the stuff before you give it all away ;)

Hey Dan! Its actually a part of a sergeant at arms medal. http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1912-democratic-national-convention-medal
The house next door used to be a tavern in the 1800s. Thats our next spot to hit. happydance02 I take pictures of everything now. As long I have the pictures, Im cool with giving the item to most people. The woman wrote a book on this towns history. I got my copy autographed |:cheering: She's also in the historic society and will have the items on display with kudos going to the guys who found the stuff and donated them. ;)

Lodge Scent
06-18-2013, 06:36 PM
I do like that medal ! :congrats:

swamp yankee
07-17-2013, 07:43 PM
The past 2 weekends, Mike and I have spent some time at 1 of our new spots we got permission to detect. The house was built in 1860 and surprisingly no old coins yet. I did get some cool items that I gave to the homeowner. A silver plated octagon make up case, a lip stick tube, a good luck token from 1928 and a way cool Democratic convention medallion from 1912. :bananadance:
I spent 20 minutes digging under a root the size of my leg trying to get what im sure is an IH penny... >:{ Next time back im bringing my dewalt battery powered sawzall :yes: I'll win the battle! |:cheering: Happy Fathers Day!
I always give the homeowner first dibs on the non-coin stuff as I want the change for myself. Offer to buy coins will usually open reluctant places to search,and I use the older books for values just like the coin dealers try on you when they want to scoop the good ones for cheep.....