PDA

View Full Version : More coins from my First Wheat Park

jaxtabking
06-17-2013, 03:04 AM
Went out around 12:30am for a 2.5 hour hunt at my local beach park and came home with a few modern coins and a game token. For every 1 coin I dug 2 nails/screws/iron. You guys find so many old coins , I cant seem to break into the early 1900s. Any suggestions?

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae76/shannonferguson2000/20130617_032451.jpg

POKIE73
06-17-2013, 06:04 AM
you just have to do your homework if you live in a area with a lot of fellow detectorists you have to find areas that others ignore try to find those places that people gathered in the past and the old coins will be there good luck dennis :detecting: :detecting:

BKM
06-17-2013, 06:52 AM
Research, research, research. Living on the East Coast helps a lot too as people have been here a lot longer.

If/when you go to those hunted out places, head right for the worst areas; steep hills, weeds, thorn bushes, trash areas. These are the places least likely to have been pounded by other :detecting: they're harder to hunt but I've had success doing this in places that have been pounded for years.

Good luck!

coinnut
06-17-2013, 05:06 PM
Yep, go where no man has gone before. I wonder where I heard that line before :thinkingabout: lol Sometimes the yard next to the old house is ignored since it has a newer house on it. But it was once part of the older houses lawn ;)

leslie(nova scotia)
06-19-2013, 04:13 PM
From the land of the Bluenose.....dig and they will come! <;)

JTGOLD
06-19-2013, 04:49 PM
you are doing ok for the newer coins,what I do for older coins is find older homes
in the late 1800's and early 1900's and get permission to hunt private yards, thats
where the virgin area's are for old coins.hope this might help you find better places to hunt.

jaxtabking
06-19-2013, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm searching for a new detector everyday, something with iron discrimination and something I can use in saltwater. Im digging so much iron. The HEADHUNTER PIRATE finds metal period. Very little difference in tones from iron to silver, ect. Discrimination is little help in my test garden. Any suggestions for a detector. I have a high budget as Ive been saving for months.

del
06-20-2013, 03:01 AM
do your homework on machines what features you like and if they will benefit your style or places more than others. It seems every machine falls better into its own niche , no machine is better at all aspects of the hobby.