PDA

View Full Version : War nickels are growing on me

z118
06-17-2013, 09:11 PM
I must confess I've looked down on war nickels in the past. They seem like a halfway kind of silver coin (heck, not even halfway). I've even called them the booby prize of failed silver hunts. Well, for whatever reason I've had a real knack for them this season. I have to say they are kind of growing on me.

I got out tonight with only 90 minutes of daylight left. I hadn't planned on a hunt so I didn't know where to go. So I headed to a nearby spot that I have pounded absolutely silly in dozens of earlier hunts. It was one of those hunts with zero expectations; where I'm happy to just be outside in the nice weather and alone with my thoughts. Long story short it was a nickel kind of night. The first two were 1941 which is kind of irksome - a few years older and I'd have a nice Buff, a few year newer and I'd have a nice war nickel. It's an odd feeling to wish I was digging NEWER coins. lol Happily though two war nickels soon followed. These are my ninth and tenth war nickels so far this season. My previous best in a season was eight. There's something to be said for hunting a site that you've pounded hard before. The scarcity of targets makes me more inclined to dig every last signal and while that results in a full pocket of trash there's bound to be something good in there too. I was getting the feeling there are some more war nickels somewhere still at this spot, and maybe if I'm lucky a gold ring or two as well.

As always, happy hunting!

bob_e99
06-18-2013, 06:51 AM
:omg:

I can't believe the luck that you are having with war nickels. You'll have to teach me that trick lol

:congrats:

Nice to see that you got out.

AmxFred
06-18-2013, 11:11 AM
It's all silver in my book! :congrats:

Tony Two-Cent
06-18-2013, 02:16 PM
You certainly have a knack for war nickels, and other old nickels as well. :yes:

I always like finding the war nickel, probably because I don't find them too often. Where do they usually ring up for you on the E-Trac? The ones I find are usually 12-13 to 12-15. I have trouble forcing myself to dig signals that are 12-16 or higher because it's almost always a pulltab.

coinnut
06-20-2013, 08:22 PM
If I'm hunting a new place for coins, and it's slow pickins, I always seem to start the good finds rolling with a war nickel. So for me they are a good omen lol Nice collection you have there thumbsup01 I never counted them as silver, but now I do

aloldstuff
06-21-2013, 05:27 AM
:congrats: on the war nickels. Can't remember the last time I dug one. My last 2 gold rings fell into the nickel range so I now have to dig all those signals.

RobW
06-21-2013, 03:54 PM
You certainly have a knack for war nickels, and other old nickels as well. :yes:

Where do they usually ring up for you on the E-Trac? The ones I find are usually 12-13 to 12-15.

That is one thing I find odd about the E-trac..there are similarities between the machines, but I find that we get different numbers between owners....

12/09-12/10.....V Nickle
12/11-12....Buff
12/11-15..Jefferson

bob_e99
06-21-2013, 04:37 PM
That is one thing I find odd about the E-trac..there are similarities between the machines, but I find that we get different numbers between owners....

12/09-12/10.....V Nickle
12/11-12....Buff
12/11-15..Jefferson

That may help to explain some of the problem that I have in finding nickels with the E-trac. :thinkingabout:
Thanks for pointing that out.

Bob

z118
06-21-2013, 07:05 PM

12/09-12/10.....V Nickle
12/11-12....Buff
12/11-15..Jefferson

Interesting... All three types come in around 12-12 on my E-trac. The numbers may drift a bit if they are deep but they usually still SOUND like 12-12 if that makes sense. War nickels, on the other hand, I have had ring up from 12-12 up to 12-20. Sometimes they don't sound like a nickel in the ground either, but after I recover them and scan them on the surface they go right to 12-12 and sound just like a nickel. Weird!

Ill Digger
06-21-2013, 07:21 PM
Nice! 2 more! |:cheering:
Congrats! :grin:
For me, 12-13 is a nickle for sure! :yes: thumbsup01
A 12-12 is a maybe. :dontknow:
I think I've had 2 or 3 come in at 12-14 :rolleyes: , but usually if it go's over a 12-13, it's a stinkin' pull tap. :rolleyes: >:# >{
But a 12-20!?! :shocked04: I would've been stunned! lol