PDA

View Full Version : New guy from Albuquerque, NM

kevumb
06-17-2013, 09:12 PM
Hello all! My name is Kevin and not only new to the site but new to the sport. I am a c130 mechanic in the Air Force at Kirtland AFB. I wanted to find a new hobby that is cost effective, well after start up that is. I dont actually have a detector yet but thought this was a good place to start. Im gonna borrow a buddies MXT pro this weekend to get an idea.

Kevin

del
06-18-2013, 12:05 AM
Hello Kevin and welcome to the forum , are you a civilian just working on the base or a military man?? I hope those recent metal detecting shows on tv didn't convince you that we detectorists get rich from our hobby because the trueth is very few actually find a bit more than gas or extra battery money. lol lol It is however a very relaxing way to spend some time and maybe find some interesting coins and or relics. The mxt pro is a great machine and you might learn to love your friends detector lol lol. Again welcome and hope t hear from you soon .

Dan

aloldstuff
06-18-2013, 05:12 AM
Kevin, welcome from western MA. My niece is the Air Force recruiter on Long Island. Hope you find some great items with your friends MXT.

Lowjiber
06-18-2013, 05:50 AM
Welcome to the hobby and the forum from a guy who's spent many moons in a C130.

The MXT is a nice machine. Tip-of-the-morning: Keep the around 9, or lower, for your first few hunts.

kevumb
06-18-2013, 01:22 PM
Hello Kevin and welcome to the forum , are you a civilian just working on the base or a military man?? I hope those recent metal detecting shows on tv didn't convince you that we detectorists get rich from our hobby because the trueth is very few actually find a bit more than gas or extra battery money. lol lol It is however a very relaxing way to spend some time and maybe find some interesting coins and or relics. The mxt pro is a great machine and you might learn to love your friends detector lol lol. Again welcome and hope t hear from you soon .

Dan

Thanks Dan! I am indeed a military man. I dont think I am looking to get rich but I wouldnt complain if I found a chest of gold haha. I am mostly trying to get out of the house more and give my self a reason to adventure through this beautiful land of enchantment.

Kevin, welcome from western MA. My niece is the Air Force recruiter on Long Island. Hope you find some great items with your friends MXT.

Thank you! Recruiter duty sounds like a blast, I bet she loves it!

Welcome to the hobby and the forum from a guy who's spent many moons in a C130.

The MXT is a nice machine. Tip-of-the-morning: Keep the around 9, or lower, for your first few hunts.

Thank you! They are still flying strong! I will take that advice, I will need as much as I can get.

del
06-18-2013, 03:12 PM
Thanks Dan! I am indeed a military man. I dont think I am looking to get rich but I wouldnt complain if I found a chest of gold haha. I am mostly trying to get out of the house more and give my self a reason to adventure through this beautiful land of enchantment.

Well Kevin , thank you very much for your service to our country sir. ::usaflag:: Yeah a chest full of gold would make me pretty content as well lol lol . theres lots of great old stories of stagecoach robberies , payroll thefts of the Railroads and old bank holdups out in the New Mexico and Arizona territories. Also early Spanish conquest up until the 1700's in those parts too, i wish you well on your discoveries there. Again welcome :waving:

Dan

OxShoeDrew
06-18-2013, 03:39 PM
Well Kevin , thank you very much for your service to our country sir. ::usaflag:: Yeah a chest full of gold would make me pretty content as well lol lol . theres lots of great old stories of stagecoach robberies , payroll thefts of the Railroads and old bank holdups out in the New Mexico and Arizona territories. Also early Spanish conquest up until the 1700's in those parts too, i wish you well on your discoveries there. Again welcome :waving:

Dan

I've yet to dig one gold coin lol never mind a chest. Maybe you have gold nuggets out there? Good luck with your new obsession, I mean hobby :waving:

Tony Two-Cent
06-18-2013, 03:57 PM
Welcome from Illinois! :waving:

Glad you joined our forum, Kevin! :yes:

I've been doing this for 30+ years and I'm still waiting for it to become cost effective. thumbsup01 lol

But it's fun to get outdoors and get some sun and exercise, and every target you dig is like a Christmas present, you just never know what it's going to be. And every once in a while you find a nice old silver coin or piece of jewelry that keeps you motivated. That's what it's all about!

nicklehead
06-18-2013, 05:36 PM
Kevin , there's a place called Bullhead Park right on the border of the base---best practice range you'll ever find with that MXT. (except it can be alittle hard to hear occasionally with all the planes flying over ) :)

coinnut
06-18-2013, 09:20 PM
Welcome aboard from western MA. You will love this hobby lol Once bitten, you will be dreaming of finding that chest of gold :shocked01:

Good luck

kevumb
06-18-2013, 09:57 PM

Dan

Thank you! Yeah this a good spot to be in for this hobby.

I've yet to dig one gold coin lol never mind a chest. Maybe you have gold nuggets out there? Good luck with your new obsession, I mean hobby :waving:

One can always hope! I know Silverton, CO is big on Gold, not sure if those veins come down that far.

Welcome from Illinois! :waving:

Glad you joined our forum, Kevin! :yes:

I've been doing this for 30+ years and I'm still waiting for it to become cost effective. thumbsup01 lol

But it's fun to get outdoors and get some sun and exercise, and every target you dig is like a Christmas present, you just never know what it's going to be. And every once in a while you find a nice old silver coin or piece of jewelry that keeps you motivated. That's what it's all about!

Well I know the detectors are the biggest cost, I hope its all down hill after that! I guess there is always room for upgrading. Sun,exercise and Christmas! Cant go wrong. Thanks!

Kevin , there's a place called Bullhead Park right on the border of the base---best practice range you'll ever find with that MXT. (except it can be alittle hard to hear occasionally with all the planes flying over ) :)

Thanks! Ill definitely check it out.

Welcome aboard from western MA. You will love this hobby lol Once bitten, you will be dreaming of finding that chest of gold :shocked01:

Good luck

Thank you!

Boulder
06-22-2013, 04:35 PM
Hello and welcome from North Jersey.

Fire Fighter 43
06-23-2013, 11:59 AM
Welcome to the forum and the hobby from SE Wisconsin. You've come to the right place for the help to get you started, so do not be afraid to ask questions. ::usaflag:: Thank you for your service and good luck with the hobby.

kevumb
06-23-2013, 01:18 PM
Hello and welcome from North Jersey.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum and the hobby from SE Wisconsin. You've come to the right place for the help to get you started, so do not be afraid to ask questions. ::usaflag:: Thank you for your service and good luck with the hobby.

Thank you!

swamp yankee
06-23-2013, 06:15 PM
Hello all! My name is Kevin and not only new to the site but new to the sport. I am a c130 mechanic in the Air Force at Kirtland AFB. I wanted to find a new hobby that is cost effective, well after start up that is. I dont actually have a detector yet but thought this was a good place to start. Im gonna borrow a buddies MXT pro this weekend to get an idea.

Kevin
Hi Kevin, My best advice to a newbie would be to go to the nearest coin shop and get a set of worn out old(junk) silver coins/dime/quarter/half/silver dollar to test the machine out on to get used to the vdi numbers/sounds ect. The MXT'S a real good gold sniffer as I have one myself and it finds quite small pickers. Be aware you will get a lot of trash too but don't let it bother you,just dig it up and re-check the hole to find the goodies being hidden by the junque(masked) Good luck and H.H.!

kevumb
06-25-2013, 12:09 PM
Hi Kevin, My best advice to a newbie would be to go to the nearest coin shop and get a set of worn out old(junk) silver coins/dime/quarter/half/silver dollar to test the machine out on to get used to the vdi numbers/sounds ect. The MXT'S a real good gold sniffer as I have one myself and it finds quite small pickers. Be aware you will get a lot of trash too but don't let it bother you,just dig it up and re-check the hole to find the goodies being hidden by the junque(masked) Good luck and H.H.!

This is the best advice. I have found so much junk! Here is a pic of the things I have dug so far. I will definitely pick up some silver and see how it reads.

Thanks!

kevumb
06-27-2013, 01:58 AM
I have been looking at getting a teknetics omega 8000, has anyone used one? They seem to be really good for the price.

Boulder
07-05-2013, 12:06 AM
Hello Kevin,
You have come to the right place for both good advice and respectful conversation.
I have belonged to a few forums in my day, pipe smoking, guns, motorcycles and this has been the best of the best in my book.
I have learned so much just reading older posts and joining in on others.
The people hear are considerate and understanding and you can sense the sincerity in there responses for both newbies and old MD hounds alike.
Again Welcome and happy 4th of July, John. ::usaflag::