PDA

View Full Version : Silver spill + rings

tech125
06-21-2013, 10:50 PM
Received my pro pointer back from Garrett this week and I was eager for a hunt. Rained a little today so off to my favorite school to see what it would give up.
Found a junk ring that rang up a 69. Next signal was the sterling ring, looks like two
clowns or something similar. I was clearing some clad and came across a classic silver dime signal, cut the plug and out came a 1964 rosie. rescanned and just to the right I got a stronger silver signal, cut the plug and out pops the 1964 Washington. Picked up the Washington and under it was a 1954 rosie. Rescanned and got a wheat penny. Fighting the mosquitos was worth it :detecting:....Thanks for looking and HH.

PL8MAN
06-22-2013, 03:04 AM
Sweet finds ! thumbsup01

aloldstuff
06-22-2013, 05:45 AM
I'd slap some mosquitos for finds like that..... :congrats: on all those keepers

coinnut
06-22-2013, 08:14 AM
Congrats on the silver pocket spill. :peace: A lot of silver come out of that hunt. The wonder you like that school. lol

z118
06-23-2013, 11:21 AM
The image on the ring is of Mekkala, a goddess of lightning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manimekhala

The ring is nielloware. Likely dates to the 50's or 60's.

http://siamman.com/siamenu.html

It's a nice find!

leslie(nova scotia)
06-23-2013, 03:03 PM
From the land of the Bluenose.....a most x-c-lent day me bouy. Pinpointers do help a tad especially iffen youz doing a manicured lawn. Good luck on the next outing! <;)

tech125
06-23-2013, 08:00 PM
Z118,

Thanks for the id on the ring, nielloware has an interesting history.

z118
06-23-2013, 08:09 PM
Z118,

Thanks for the id on the ring, nielloware has an interesting history.

Yeah, I think so too! This part is cool (from Wikipedia):

Nielloware jewelry and related items from Thailand were popular gifts from American soldiers taking R&R in Thailand to their girlfriends/wives back home from the 1930s to the 1970s. Most of it was completely handmade jewelry.

The technique is as follows: The artisan would carve a particular character or pattern into the silver, leaving the figure raised by carving out the background. He would then use the niello inlay to fill in the background. After being baked in an open fire, the alloy would harden. It would then be sanded smooth and buffed. Finally, a silver artisan would add minute details by hand. Filigree was often used for additional ornamentation.