PDA

View Full Version : A Pint of Blood, a Gallon of Sweat, and a Few Keepers

z118
06-24-2013, 09:37 PM
It was too hot tonight to hunt anywhere in the sun. So I headed to a wooded spot that had given up 1 wheat and an old pocket watch on my first hunt there a few weeks ago. I doused myself in bug spray knowing the mosquitoes would be bad. I had no idea. Within 15 minutes I had a swarm of them buzzing around but it seemed like the spray was keeping them at bay. Then they figured out I hadn't sprayed my eyeballs and a few of them gave it a go there. I was climbing up hill and sweating like crazy. I think the sweat washed the bug spray away because after 90 minutes the mosquitoes were no longer holding back. It's not easy to swat them off while wearing digging gloves cover it dirt. I did anyway and the dirt stuck to the sweat and soon I was a sweaty, bloody mess covered in dirt and squashed mosquito carcasses. Fun!

Anyway for all that I still had a good time and scored a few oldies including 3 wheats (1920, 34, & 44), a nice war nickel (43 P), and a V nickel (1893). I also dug 8 odd lead objects. I don't think they are bullets but I don't have any other ideas. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Happy hunting!

nicklehead
06-24-2013, 10:45 PM
Drier sheets.
I hear drier sheets will repel them --stick a few in your pockets and one in your cap and go back and check the myth for us.
Losing a few more cc's won't hurt you!

aloldstuff
06-25-2013, 05:18 AM
Now that's the way to stick it out, :congrats: on the keepers. I have heard about the dryer sheets but I heard that they had to be used ones. I have seen golfers using them.

bob_e99
06-25-2013, 05:24 AM
Nice hunt! That V-nickel looks like it's in pretty good shape and would clean up nicely. And your war nickel count is still climbing (amazing!). :clapping:

:congrats:

POKIE73
06-25-2013, 05:35 AM
sounds like a great example of just how bad some of us have it this hobby :detecting: :detecting: anyway big congrats for sticking it out and giving it your all good finds dennis :bananadance: :bananadance:

coinnut
06-25-2013, 07:27 PM
Nice bloody hunt lol You took a beating getting them targets. :behave: The lead objects look like musket balls and are pretty old. No other 1700's or 1800's items?? I would look in the area where the lead came from....but during a nice strong wind :yes: That way only the biggest bugs can bite you :shocked03:

Tony Two-Cent
06-26-2013, 10:23 AM
I would trade a few drops of blood for a hunt like that any day! |:cheering:

I really like the 1893 V Nickel! :yes:

:congrats:

OxShoeDrew
06-26-2013, 03:11 PM
soon I was a sweaty, bloody mess covered in dirt and squashed mosquito carcasses.

lol lol Worth it though....war nickel, largie, etc....definitely worth it.

del
06-26-2013, 04:12 PM
I agree most of the lead look like round ball or musket ball and do have a nice old patina to them . yes unfortunately the deet or bugspray will wear off or the sweat will break it down if sprayed onto your skin , its better to wear a very light longsleeve and spray it . it will last a whole lot longer and spraying either the top of you hat or just under the brim can keep them out of your face a bit better. Or hey just use a bug net or a hat that has one built into it . these summer months are the worst and you've proved your metal as a diehard fanatic at this hobby lol lol well done :perfect10:

OxShoeDrew
06-26-2013, 06:36 PM
gosh, I didn't even see the V nickel :shocked03:

Lodge Scent
06-26-2013, 07:32 PM
Hard core hunt ! Nice finds to show for it :congrats: