PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes a 1700's House is JUST a 1700's house

RobW
06-25-2013, 12:52 PM
I unexpectedly managed to get a few hours to myself on Sunday afternoon. So I went over to an antique car show for a bit, but it didn't take as much time as I thought, I had my detector and everything in my car...so off I went to find a spot to detect. I was driving down a road and passed a 1700's home that was being re-done, I knew contractors don't work on Sunday's so it must be the homeowner. So I stopped in. I commented on the work he was doing, he said it was his girlfriends house but I could detect all I wanted <:

I started on the side of the house, and within moments got a wheat, then a 1916 Merc :happydance01:, I was thinking this was going to be a HOT spot....a couple passed later, a wheat spill, 4 early dates, I finally managed one of those square holed Chinese coins :twirlingeyes:then a silver pendant...then NOTHING. I got to the front of the house, got a awesome 13/12-46/47.....I'm thinking either a silver quarter or a Large Cent :drool:....I dig up a large copper gear >:#; then at the base of a tree a 1912 dog license (which I think is pretty cool, I don't know why but I love the dog licenses). I went back to the side yard and got another wheat and another 1965 dog license, I wondered along the edge of the drive way and scored a 1945 Merc.

I also managed this cool pendant..if anyone has any info on, would be appreciated. On one side it says RALSTON STRAIGHT SHOOTERS, the other side says 'RALSTON WHEAT CEREAL the disc spins. Any ideas of age? :dontknow:

But I was puzzled...where was all the older stuff, it seemed I had bottomed out around the 19teens :dontknow:

Then the girlfriend showed up....at first she wanted to know what the heck I was doing in HER yard, I explained that her boyfriend gave me permission, then she was all fine....thank goodness, it could have gotten ugly quick....she then explained that the house had been moved there about a hundred years ago >{ >{ >{ >{

Either way it was good to get out and score a few keepers

z118
06-25-2013, 01:47 PM
Nice digs! Too bad the house was moved, but I'd be happy with those finds any day. Congrats!

del
06-25-2013, 06:44 PM
But I was puzzled...where was all the older stuff, it seemed I had bottomed out around the 19teens :dontknow:

Hey Rob Coinnut an I can share in your pain , we've too been detecting old 1700 era holmes and the older finds are scarce to locate :dontknow: , you feel cheated somehow right ;) hey congrats on the keepers you did find though |:cheering: |:cheering:

RaZR
06-25-2013, 06:55 PM
I too know the pain of old house no old coins. Not a 1700's house but old enough that i should'a found something older than a 1944 penny. Congrats on getting silver and some cool dog tags and the spinner.

GL/HH

POKIE73
06-25-2013, 06:57 PM
sounds like a good hunt to me congrats on all of your finds dennis :peace: :peace:

coinnut
06-25-2013, 07:00 PM
Congrats on not getting arrested lol Bail money is hard to come by. You did better than most do in the silver department. In your case the house was moved...mystery solved, but for other houses, it takes patience and repeated visits to find the older stuff. My first visit to a 1734 house yielded a Merc and a lot of clad, toy cars, etc... This visit, hunting with 1147 Silver, netted us a spanish 1/2 reale, barber quarter and a draped bust large cent. Where were they the first time around :confused: I don't know, but they showed up this time :clapping: Any time you have permission on an old place, clean out as much surface targets as you can and then return after a nice soaking rain and see the older stuff surface. Going slow works better for me too. Anyways, nice finds Rob. :clapping:

aloldstuff
06-26-2013, 05:49 AM
:congrats: on the finds you did make. Coinnut's post really makes sense, remember the park in town.....

More important you managed to get out and swing the coil.

Hook
06-28-2013, 09:38 PM
i would be more than happy with results like that, no matter the age of the house. congrats on the silvers!

last summer i hunted one of the oldest homes in my town. it was built in 1870, and i have pics of the house from that period. all i found was a few wheats, with a V nic stuck to one of them lol. no silver, no barbers, seateds, nothing but copper and the nickel. very disappointing hunt, but i will go back there when we get a good soaking rain, and see what else pops up.

swamp yankee
06-28-2013, 11:13 PM
I unexpectedly managed to get a few hours to myself on Sunday afternoon. So I went over to an antique car show for a bit, but it didn't take as much time as I thought, I had my detector and everything in my car...so off I went to find a spot to detect. I was driving down a road and passed a 1700's home that was being re-done, I knew contractors don't work on Sunday's so it must be the homeowner. So I stopped in. I commented on the work he was doing, he said it was his girlfriends house but I could detect all I wanted <:

I started on the side of the house, and within moments got a wheat, then a 1916 Merc :happydance01:, I was thinking this was going to be a HOT spot....a couple passed later, a wheat spill, 4 early dates, I finally managed one of those square holed Chinese coins :twirlingeyes:then a silver pendant...then NOTHING. I got to the front of the house, got a awesome 13/12-46/47.....I'm thinking either a silver quarter or a Large Cent :drool:....I dig up a large copper gear >:#; then at the base of a tree a 1912 dog license (which I think is pretty cool, I don't know why but I love the dog licenses). I went back to the side yard and got another wheat and another 1965 dog license, I wondered along the edge of the drive way and scored a 1945 Merc.

I also managed this cool pendant..if anyone has any info on, would be appreciated. On one side it says RALSTON STRAIGHT SHOOTERS, the other side says 'RALSTON WHEAT CEREAL the disc spins. Any ideas of age? :dontknow:

Then the girlfriend showed up....at first she wanted to know what the heck I was doing in HER yard, I explained that her boyfriend gave me permission, then she was all fine....thank goodness, it could have gotten ugly quick....she then explained that the house had been moved there about a hundred years ago >{ >{ >{ >{

Either way it was good to get out and score a few keepers
Rob,I can sympathize with you. I've been on the oldest places out here in Long Beach Wa. and found nothing yet except a few early 1900's pennys/1980's stuff and clad junque. Had a classic setup w/clothesline,found one after another right under it but nothing old or silver! Bunch of Canadian coins/clad 80's. Oh well,HH....