PDA

View Full Version : COMPLETE COLONIAL SHOE BUCKLE & KNEE BUCKLE FRAME

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-29-2013, 04:06 PM
Todd & me got out to 2 new cellar holes,it was a Hot & Humid one today! the mosquito's were on a feeding frenzy we had at least 20 on us biting at all times,I think we both lost a pint of blood today.never seen em this bad before.at 2 pm we said screw this,couldn't even concentrate they were that bad.we never quit this easily and today they won :blackeye:
so,remember last week i got turned around? well old i never get turned around Todd got turned around :hysterical: i can here him screamin way in the distance...DAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! where are you! rofl
we both did pretty good though despite a half day.
a few buttons,one being a tombac.a couple knox obs :rolleyes: drew watch your back!
a odd knee buckle frame with the pin set on a diagonal pattern(never seen this before) :dontknow:
and a pretty nice complete colonial shoe buckle.
stay cool out there people and remember off and repel don't work in these northeast woods trust that.i'm callin them again to break stones! deep woods off my bleep! >:#

del
06-29-2013, 04:13 PM
hey loosing a pint or two of blood was well worth a nice complete shoe buckle :yes:
don't think i could of left so easily though ;)

i just dug the same looking iron triangle thing yesterday :confused: , congrats on the relics |:cheering: |:cheering:

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-29-2013, 04:46 PM
hey loosing a pint or two of blood was well worth a nice complete shoe buckle :yes:
don't think i could of left so easily though ;)

i just dug the same looking iron triangle thing yesterday :confused: , congrats on the relics |:cheering: |:cheering:

trust me they were brutal Dan.i never wanna leave a site like that but it was overwhelming even todd said screw this i can't take it.10 biting you in the back at once.all over your arms,neck forehead.it was insane :crazy: ya think the triangle thing is CW knapsack related? todd got a nice CW general servive button here so just curious. mine is brass

del
06-29-2013, 05:41 PM
thin short sleeved shirts with bare arms and no nets \:hammer: well just look how you two are dressed ... them mosquitos must of thought they were at an open bar when you two walked into the woods. lol lol hey free drinks Dave an Todd. lol rofl

well glad you two weren't sucked dry and made it out alive thumbsup01

your piece looks iron in the picture , I really couldn't tell you if it was Civil war related.

Thiltzy
06-29-2013, 06:09 PM
Dave, the shoe buckle looks great :smitten: and sorry about taking a blurry picture of you...damn mosquito's >:/

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-29-2013, 06:14 PM
Dave, the shoe buckle looks great :smitten: and sorry about taking a blurry picture of you...damn mosquito's >:/

thanks Todd! you were so discombobulated today it didnt surprise me the pic was blurry and ya stole my battery! lol

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-29-2013, 06:20 PM
thin short sleeved shirts with bare arms and no nets \:hammer: well just look how you two are dressed ... them mosquitos must of thought they were at an open bar when you two walked into the woods. lol lol hey free drinks Dave an Todd. lol rofl

well glad you two weren't sucked dry and made it out alive thumbsup01

your piece looks iron in the picture , I really couldn't tell you if it was Civil war related.

hey todd next time we will wear our neoprene dive suits.who cares if its 100 degrees with 100% humidity :hysterical: dan they were biting me through my damn jeans thats how hungry these parasites were.on the brighter side of things no ticks! I think they hid from the aerial assault of the buzzing blood suckers

Lodge Scent
06-29-2013, 07:32 PM
That buckle is a beauty :congrats:

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-29-2013, 09:14 PM
That buckle is a beauty :congrats:

thanks LS! thumbsup01

coinnut
06-29-2013, 09:15 PM
I don't know Dan, these guys are starting to slip a bit. A couple of bugs and they are like oh there's a bug....let's get out of here rofl Nice buckles Dave... and Todd wasn't lost, he really thought you were lost again ;)

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-29-2013, 09:26 PM
I don't know Dan, these guys are starting to slip a bit. A couple of bugs and they are like oh there's a bug....let's get out of here rofl Nice buckles Dave... and Todd wasn't lost, he really thought you were lost again ;)

thnaks G! bugs i can deal with...Bugs bug ya! these things were eating us for lunch! :hairpulling: it was like they launched a major air strike on us. :cheesysmile:

Bell-Two
06-30-2013, 07:30 AM
Beautiful buckle, I'd give a little blood for that one next time eat a lot of garlic and when you sweat the bloodsuckers will think twice...unless they're Italian skeeters! lol

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-30-2013, 07:33 AM
Beautiful buckle, I'd give a little blood for that one next time eat a lot of garlic and when you sweat the bloodsuckers will think twice...unless they're Italian skeeters! lol

thanks! garlic hmmm thumbsup01

OxShoeDrew
06-30-2013, 07:40 AM
It's so easy to get lost in our woods at this time of year. In addition to the crawling and flying blood suckers, the ferns are having a bumper year. That buckle makes it all fine :yes: ...and I don't ever remember having a double-knob day lol You could display all your ox knobs on a stick, call it a Shish-ka-knob. lol

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-30-2013, 07:49 AM
It's so easy to get lost in our woods at this time of year. In addition to the crawling and flying blood suckers, the ferns are having a bumper year. That buckle makes it all fine :yes: ...and I don't ever remember having a double-knob day lol You could display all your ox knobs on a stick, call it a Shish-ka-knob. lol

thanks drew! shish-ka-knob :hysterical:

coinnut
06-30-2013, 07:57 AM
next time eat a lot of garlic and when you sweat the bloodsuckers will think twice

I wouldn't want to be couped up in the same car with him on the ride home lol

del
06-30-2013, 11:09 AM
and I don't ever remember having a double-knob day lol You could display all your ox knobs on a stick, call it a Shish-ka-knob. lol

Wow :shocked03: I didn't even notice the &quot:grin:shocked04:uble-Knobber Day

[size=24pt]ALL HAIL DAVE the SHISH-KA-KNOB KING

lol lol rofl

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-30-2013, 01:45 PM
Wow :shocked03: I didn't even notice the &quot:grin:shocked04:uble-Knobber Day

[size=24pt]ALL HAIL DAVE the SHISH-KA-KNOB KING

lol lol rofl

lol you guys are tooo much! <}

RobW
07-01-2013, 11:00 AM
ya think the triangle thing is CW knapsack related? todd got a nice CW general servive button here so just curious. mine is brass

It does look like the items that I would dig in TN while relic hunting...chances are good, I would definatly say from the era.

A nice haul of finds in a short period of time, though you paid for it in blood lol

foundation hunter
07-01-2013, 04:57 PM
Instructions

Pour 1 1/4 cup of rubbing alcohol into a clean bowl.

Add 2 tablespoons of an essential oil. You can choose from a variety of oils, including lemon grass, eucalyptus, castor oil, peppermint, tea tree oil, lavender and cedar.

Pour the mixture into the bottle and place the lid on the bottle tightly. Shake the mosquito repellent well to thoroughly mix the rubbing alcohol and the essential oil together.

Shake the bottle well before each use, according to Betterbudgeting.com. Apply the mosquito repellent to your skin sparingly. After the initial application, you can re-apply every few hours as needed.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/how_6021550_homemade-mosquito-repellent-alcohol.html#ixzz2XpjnABBY

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-03-2013, 05:57 PM
here is what i think we may be dealing with.the asian tiger mosquito
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-33816_162-57591640/asian-tiger-mosquitoes-have-blood-lust-for-humans/

spectra1
07-05-2013, 09:02 PM
I love finding ox knobs.....got two ox yolks today.....that was awesome

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-05-2013, 09:03 PM
I love finding ox knobs.....got two ox yolks today.....that was awesome

i got a barrel full of em! care to make a trade? <}

spectra1
07-05-2013, 09:55 PM
Which a looking for....how bout some civil war junk when I get back down south:huh:. Lol

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-06-2013, 07:20 AM
Which a looking for....how bout some civil war junk when I get back down south:huh:. Lol

sure! i'll take some crappy box plates,junk breast plates,toss a few of those illiterate CSA (like how can the button maker make a dumb mistake like that to use a C instead of a U? 8/ ) and toss in some of those over size 3 ringy thingy's that when fired just fell out of the end of the barrel and looked like they never hit their target.
sound fair to you? :rolleyes: oh and only if you throw in a bayonet will this deal be fair.otherwise you are getting the better end of the stick :poke:

spectra1
07-06-2013, 10:02 PM
:hysterical:

Now that's funny wherever you're from....

On a serious note how many CSA buckles so I need. Two colts a few swords.... bucket s of bullets.........parrot shells....I mean really who needs to hold on to all that junk?

PS my damn wife found the two colts......I just dug em.

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-07-2013, 03:06 AM
:hysterical:

Now that's funny wherever you're from....

On a serious note how many CSA buckles so I need. Two colts a few swords.... bucket s of bullets.........parrot shells....I mean really who needs to hold on to all that junk?

PS my damn wife found the two colts......I just dug em.

no parrot shells! my bird won't eat those.just 2 CSA waist plates,2 bewb plates with eagles on em, one illiterate CSA button,a few 3 ringy thingy's and a rusty bayonet and if a bayonet isn't available a crusty sword will suffice & it's a done deal! and I live in CT

del
07-09-2013, 05:09 PM
Dave i thought you'd get a kick out of this video , kinda cool to see how your colonial shoe buckles went on .

How to Use 18th Century Shoe Buckles (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjj7exB0-f8&feature=player_embedded#)

Thiltzy
07-09-2013, 05:38 PM
[quote=del link=topic=13642.msg144789#msg144789 date=1373407743]
Dave i thought you'd get a kick out of this video , kinda cool to see how your colonial shoe buckles went on .

Thanks for posting the video Dan, it's nice to see how they were worn :clapping:

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-09-2013, 06:48 PM
thanks Dan! here's another good one http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HMAvG97cLvc#at=86

Pona
08-02-2013, 06:57 AM
Great finds :)

Would you mind if I reproduce the buckle photo? I help run a metal detecting club in central England, One of our members posted a find he wanted id'ing on the forum and it looks a lot like a part of the buckle you found.

Bell-Two
08-02-2013, 07:21 AM
That was fascinating...to be honest I had never given much thought about how the buckle system worked, I see if they had a fancy buckle made how it could be transferred rather easily between different shoes! Now it makes more sense why they are found at sites I always assumed that it was complete shoes that were discarded or lost in a fire that cause the buckles to survive....man read the posts and learn...thanks!

Bell-Two
08-02-2013, 07:22 AM
Now is there a similar demonstration about Knee buckles, did they work the same way and also were transferred from different pairs of breeches?

Mudder
08-02-2013, 08:53 PM
Dave congratulations on a fantastic find :wow: Hope you recover from blood loss.

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-04-2013, 05:42 AM
Great finds :)

Would you mind if I reproduce the buckle photo? I help run a metal detecting club in central England, One of our members posted a find he wanted id'ing on the forum and it looks a lot like a part of the buckle you found.

sure pona,feel free to use it |:cheering:

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-04-2013, 05:44 AM
Now is there a similar demonstration about Knee buckles, did they work the same way and also were transferred from different pairs of breeches?

i'm not sure if there is a vid out on knee buckles,i'll have to search

Pona
08-04-2013, 10:24 AM
sure pona,feel free to use it |:cheering:
Thank you, you're a star. |:confused:)

In case you want to take a look....this kind of makes you famous :)
[url=http://www.midlandmdc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=718]http://www.midlandmdc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=71:dontknow:/url]