PDA

View Full Version : Two new cellar holes give up another copper and eagle button

Thiltzy
06-29-2013, 06:22 PM
As Dave would say Poster's out west think we have it easy in New England with all the old colonial sites. Well let me just say that today had to be one of the worst conditions to hunt in. Wet, hot, and humid = armies of mosquitos. :girlcry:

Dave was not exaggerating, these critters really sucked the life out of us along with the humidity. I could not concentrate at all it was so bad that we left a brand new beautiful site after only 45 mins of finding it. :white:usaflag:: :white:usaflag:: :white:usaflag::
We have hunted in rain, snow, and single digit temperatures and I would take any of those conditions over today's. I kept telling Dave that I need one of Dan's hats with the nets.
Anyway, here are some of my finds, too bad the eagle button has not gilt left on it :-\

aloldstuff
06-29-2013, 06:42 PM
For you and Dave to throw in the towel after only 45 minutes :white:usaflag:: then the conditions had to be terrible. Very nice to see that you recovered a very good looking LC.

I also see that you got some hardware for furniture. I have watched Antiques Roadshow and when they show furniture the appraiser sometimes says that the hardware (drawer pulls, etc.) are not original. I'd be willing to bet that the ones that you relic hunters have would be worth some serious $$'s if someone needs to make their piece original.

Thoughts....

Lodge Scent
06-29-2013, 07:30 PM
Nice digs and nice to have a site in the bank.

I only had a couple of hours this morning so I left the MD at home and did some scouting. Mosquitos were as bad as I have ever seen. I'm with you Thiltzy. I'll take a cold January day any day rather than this stuff.

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-29-2013, 08:06 PM
nice general service button and the LC cleaned up pretty well.once in awhile ya get a good braided hair.they usually dont hold up well.nice hot and humid hunt we had!

del
06-29-2013, 08:41 PM
want to buy a hat ?? yup that kinda goofy looking hat has saved me more blood from those flying pests more times than i can remember. bugnets are a requisite in these dogdays out in the woods . you guys did very well it must of been bad to keep you two from an all day'er at a new site . congrats on the braided hair , its in pretty nice shape and very sweet eagle button too.

coinnut
06-29-2013, 09:08 PM
Mosquitos win again :clapping: Nice copper, nice button and you get kudos for giving a pint of blood thumbsup01

Thiltzy
06-29-2013, 09:39 PM
I also see that you got some hardware for furniture. I have watched Antiques Roadshow and when they show furniture the appraiser sometimes says that the hardware (drawer pulls, etc.) are not original. I'd be willing to bet that the ones that you relic hunters have would be worth some serious $$'s if someone needs to make their piece original.

Thoughts....
You may have a point there...I should sell all my escutchin plates and drawer pulls, you wanna buy them?

Nice digs and nice to have a site in the bank.

I only had a couple of hours this morning so I left the MD at home and did some scouting. Mosquitos were as bad as I have ever seen. I'm with you Thiltzy. I'll take a cold January day any day rather than this stuff.
Yeah Lodge, I concur

nice general service button and the LC cleaned up pretty well.once in awhile ya get a good braided hair.they usually dont hold up well.nice hot and humid hunt we had!
Too bad that the gilt is gone

want to buy a hat ?? yup that kinda goofy looking hat has saved me more blood from those flying pests more times than i can remember. bugnets are a requisite in these dogdays out in the woods . you guys did very well it must of been bad to keep you two from an all day'er at a new site . congrats on the braided hair , its in pretty nice shape and very sweet eagle button too.
Yes Dan I want to buy your hat. Tell me where to buy one please.

Mosquitos win again :clapping: Nice copper, nice button and you get kudos for giving a pint of blood thumbsup01
I will take the tics over mosquito swarms any day lol

Bell-Two
06-30-2013, 07:25 AM
Yep conditions for mosquitoes seem to be good this year, we did an old house last week and to be honest didn't see many bloodsuckers but I ended up with only three wheaties (disappointed) and four bites (major disappointed) hate to think of how it would be out in the woods! Congrats on your finds nice Large Cent and relics. Yep I too think perfect MD conditions is about 45 degrees with sunshine but we take what we get!

OxShoeDrew
06-30-2013, 07:28 AM
I wear a net but that gets soooo hot. >:# I take it off and the built up heat of my head attracts even more skeeters, so I go back and forth lol These days feel like we live in a jungle. Great looking finds for an entire weekend, never mind just 45min.

Sal66
07-01-2013, 01:06 AM
:congrats: Nice Finds !! Love the Large Cent , button and Bell ! I can imagine how it must be with all the heat and bugs but finds like that make it all worth while . :perfect10:

RobW
07-01-2013, 10:53 AM
O45 min and you managed all of that :shocked03:

Not bad at all, you know that place will serve you well :yes:

But we all are in agreement...the skeeterz are BAD this year >8)

Thiltzy
07-01-2013, 05:47 PM
O45 min and you managed all of that :shocked03:

Not bad at all, you know that place will serve you well :yes:

But we all are in agreement...the skeeterz are BAD this year >8)
No Rob, we spent a few hours at the 1st sight and the second sight was a new find and a beauty to see. The second site was where we spent 45 mins before we left because of the skeeters. :white:usaflag::