PDA

View Full Version : Face to face encounter with Black Bear while cellar hole hunting

Thiltzy
07-01-2013, 06:07 PM
I can't believe that Dave and I forgot to mention that on Saturday, we came face to face with a black bear!!! :shocked03: :shocked03: If the armies of mosquitos were not bad enough, we also ran into a black bear that day.

After hunting the first hole we tried to find another site and while walking down the old road, we crossed a brook and up a small incline. I was about 20 yards ahead of Dave and when I reached the top of the incline I noticed a Black Bear coming out of the tree line into the clearing of the old road. :frozen: :frozen: :frozen:

I immediately stopped and a few seconds later the Bear noticed me. I would say it was approximately 50-60 yards up ahead of me and then it stopped in it's tracks. It stood on it's hind legs to get a better look at me, that's when my heart started to race in a slight panic. I whispered to Dave as I pointed ahead of us...&quot:grin:ave, black bear When Dave saw the bear I could see the expression of fear on his face as he replied o my god...it's cub season, we need to back track out of here! When the bear saw the two of us together, it ran back off into the woods.

I would not recommend anyone cellar hole hunting alone in the woods in New England. I have heard a bunch of reports about more bears being spotted than normal this year.
It was really cool seeing my first wild bear in it's environment but, I hope it's my last.

del
07-01-2013, 06:28 PM
:wow: I've seen lots of bear scat in the woods but never an actual bear , you two couldn't coax him into a picture for us ;) . I just told Drew and have said to others that there are all kinds of large animals out in these (their) woods and you run the risk of real danger if you go out in them alone. you two were very lucky it didn't have cubs nearby as the outcome could of been a lot different.

one of the most important choices a relic hunter has is his pick of a good detecting partner because in a tough time like that Todd , you don't have to out run the bear just the heavy-smoking partner. lol rofl rofl

you guys becareful out there :yes:

coinnut
07-01-2013, 07:15 PM
one of the most important choices a relic hunter has is his pick of a good detecting partner because in a tough time like that Todd , you don't have to out run the bear just the heavy-smoking partner. lol rofl rofl

:hysterical: I woder who that is? :thinkingabout: I think that is the best hunting partner....sacrificial >8)

pulltabsteve
07-01-2013, 07:49 PM
Smoking or not, all you need is a small .22 handgun. Not for the bear but to shoot your buddy in the leg. :yes: :white:usaflag::

coinnut
07-01-2013, 07:51 PM
Smoking or not, all you need is a small .22 handgun. Not for the bear but to shoot your buddy in the leg. :yes: :white:usaflag::

lol Note to self...no detecting with Steve :yes:

del
07-01-2013, 07:52 PM

<} rofl rofl Steve after that comment Mike might be looking for a new partner lol lol

Lodge Scent
07-01-2013, 08:09 PM
That is cool experience to see a bear in the wild. I've had a couple of very close encounters over the years. Not metal detecting but that's one of the reasons I only use the one ear Rattler headphones. A bear, even a large bear can be extremely quiet walking through the woods when it wants too. Inspite of what we were taught when we were kids, bears actually have good eyesight to go along with their phenominal nose. That is cool you got to see it stand up to check you out.

pulltabsteve
07-01-2013, 08:24 PM
<} rofl rofl Steve after that comment Mike might be looking for a new partner lol lol

LOL! We don't have any bears on Long Island |:cheering:
Mike doesn't smoke and he also runs marathons. I have to even the playing field somehow ;)

POKIE73
07-01-2013, 09:04 PM
when you see a bear in the woods just make sure that you can outrun your buddy :crossfingers: :crossfingers:

aloldstuff
07-02-2013, 05:02 AM
So...you're saying that the bear did not leave until it saw Dave.....

Thiltzy
07-02-2013, 05:56 AM
So...you're saying that the bear did not leave until it saw Dave.....
This is true

OxShoeDrew
07-02-2013, 07:12 AM
lol funny thread....I think :shocked04:stretcher:
About ten years ago there was a bear rooting through the garbage, so I go in the house to get my 7yr old son. As we go back out on the porch, my son takes one look at the bear and runs back in and locks the door. Now I'm outside with the bear whispering to my son to unlock the door. lol
The bear was tagged on both ears. He looked like a pet. I bet I could have made him give me his paw for a treat lol
I was okay, when the bear saw me he put up his umbrella and rode away on his bike. :grin:

Bell-Two
07-02-2013, 07:27 AM
The question is...what kind of detector was the bear using?

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-02-2013, 07:47 AM
hey i dont carry granola bars on me so,i woulda been fine. :teasing:

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-02-2013, 12:22 PM
:wow: I've seen lots of bear scat in the woods but never an actual bear , you two couldn't coax him into a picture for us ;) . I just told Drew and have said to others that there are all kinds of large animals out in these (their) woods and you run the risk of real danger if you go out in them alone. you two were very lucky it didn't have cubs nearby as the outcome could of been a lot different.

you guys becareful out there :yes:

Dan is bear scat the huge piles of mushy brown diarehea ya see in the woods? sorry no other way to describe it :hysterical:

milco
07-02-2013, 07:26 PM
Seen them many times driving in the car in northern Wisconsin, but never hiking in the woods. Too bad you couldn't get a picture of him smiling back at you! Watch out next time you're out there!

fsa46
07-03-2013, 06:23 AM
:omg: How the heck did you forget to tell us something exciting like that part in the first post. 8/

Always an adventure reading either of your posts. :yes: