PDA

View Full Version : I wish I could think of a title as exciting as this hunt!!!

z118
07-01-2013, 07:52 PM
My friends!

My friends, please read my story and share in the near delirious, stunned bliss I now find myself steeped in.

Because of the holiday and a busy schedule of family events, this was to be the only evening this week I would be able get in a hunt. Sadly, it was raining heavily as I drove home from work. I checked the radar at home, and it looked like the rain might be moving east, so after dinner I headed out. I figured the cold weather was a good opportunity to hit a wooded spot I had hunted recently since I could wear long pants and a long sleeve shirt and the mosquitoes would have less real estate to fight over. As I drove to the spot, the rain was going strong, and I couldn't help but wonder what the heck was wrong with me for even trying. I could be at home, I thought, doing something productive or even just watching a movie with the family.

It was still raining steadily and pretty windy when I arrived. I threw on a big plastic poncho that my wife had given me. It whipped around in the wind as I headed into the woods, which were surprisingly dark.

I headed along a path to a spot I was hoping to hunt. After walking for about 10 minutes I hit a nice tone right along the path. I poked around and retrieved a nice '24 Merc. That made me feel quite lucky and quite happy. In fact, it seemed so unbelievably, stupidly lucky that I figured I should just leave right then and there. The rain was not letting up. I figured I could head home while I was ahead with a nice silver in my pocket. But for whatever reason I wandered off the path into the woods. A few minutes later I hit a signal that didn't seem like much. I don't even really remember it really, except that I thought nothing of it and didn't scrutinize it at all. So I was quite surprised when I dug another Merc! This luck was just not to be believed, I thought. But there was still a tone in the hole, and again it didn't seem like much - definitely too low for silver. More digging resulted in a BARBER QUARTER! And then another Merc! AND THEN ANOTHER!!! At that point I'm soaked and covered in mud and even the mosquitoes were probably wondering what was up with the big, stupid grin on my face. I scanned the hole again, and now there was a clear nickel tone, which proved to be a Buffalo nickel. Really, I just can not tell you how excited I was at that point. When I scanned a few inches from the hole and got a clear sweet silver tone I thought I might pass out. I dug and beyond all belief pulled ANOTHER BARBER QUARTER. There are no words.

I scanned the immediate area over several times, and then wandered around just a bit before deciding to call it a night. I was a complete mess, but probably the most giddy fool within a 500 mile radius. I've never dug a spill like this. I can still scarcely believe it!

The coins are:
1900 Barber Quarter
1902-O Barber Quarter
1917-D Merc
1918-S Merc
1919 Merc
1924 Merc
1916 Buff

The Barbers are quite worn and sadly I scratched the 1900. The mix of coins is fascinating; you'd thing there would be a Barber dime or SLQ in there. Did I mention how giddy I am right now?

Anyway, that is my story. Thank you as always for sharing in my excitement! And HAPPY HUNTING!!!

Lodge Scent
07-01-2013, 07:57 PM
:wow: :wow: I'd be giddy too if I saw all that shiney stuff coming out of the ground! Great hunt :congrats:

del
07-01-2013, 08:00 PM
:shocked04: wow thats a great spill of coins , whens your next wet adventure lol congrats on the silvers :clapping: :clapping:

z118
07-01-2013, 08:13 PM
Some better pics!

coinnut
07-01-2013, 08:40 PM
Nice. All early dates and some mint marks as well :clapping: I never consider myself nuts for staying, only nuts if I quit and go home lol Great hunt and a lot of silver in a short time.

POKIE73
07-01-2013, 08:55 PM
what kinda man hunts in the rain i will tell you a lucky man by the looks of it way to go its suprising what some of us will do in the quest for silver congrats on your finds you deserve all of it dennis :perfect10: :perfect10:

Hook
07-01-2013, 10:25 PM
now thats how its done Zman! congrats on a great and memorable hunt! we all hope for hunts like that, and when they happen it's hard to believe. good job toughing it out in the rain! :perfect10: :perfect10:

aloldstuff
07-02-2013, 05:00 AM
:wow: no coins over 1924. I am feeling you giddiness. :happy: This hunt is one that you will remember forever.
It was you against the elements and you knocked it out of the park. :perfect10: |:cheering:

bob_e99
07-02-2013, 05:10 AM
Wake up! It was just all a dream. lol

:wow: :wow: :wow:

That is quite a nice spill to find without doubt.

:congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

:happy: :happy: :happy:

OxShoeDrew
07-02-2013, 07:18 AM
I found one Barber quarter in 3 years. >:{ :yes:
You find two in a single hunt! :daydream: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Tony Two-Cent
07-02-2013, 07:28 AM
That's what I'm talking about!!! :wow:

What an amazing coin spill, Matt! It looks like the newest coin in the spill was 1919. I've never found two Barber Quarters in one hunt, that's awesome! I am always fascinated by how worn some of these older silver coins are. I have seen some seated and barber quarters that are virtually smooth. To me, those are just as exciting to find as coins with little wear.

What a spectacular hunt! Finds like that really inspire me. Huge congrats on that incredible coin spill! |:confused:)

:perfect10:

Snapolson
07-02-2013, 12:17 PM
All I can say is WOW!!! I love the super worn 1902 quarter. Sweet dig.

RobW
07-02-2013, 02:33 PM
:shocked03:...What a spill!!! What a find!!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

milco
07-02-2013, 07:31 PM
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :wow: Congrats pulling up an amazing spill! That is one of the best ones I have seen in awhile! WTG and I bet you'll think twice in the future when you hear those weird signals!

MNcoinhunter
07-07-2013, 10:03 PM
Sweet coin spill !! Excellent decision you made to stay and hunt some more .. congrats !! :clapping:

JdsCoins
07-16-2013, 03:01 PM
Sweet spill! :clapping:

Where's the indians or early wheats? Can't beat nickels to quarters. lol

rich person pocket spill I guess? :grin:

swamp yankee
07-17-2013, 07:31 PM
My friends!

My friends, please read my story and share in the near delirious, stunned bliss I now find myself steeped in.

Because of the holiday and a busy schedule of family events, this was to be the only evening this week I would be able get in a hunt. Sadly, it was raining heavily as I drove home from work. I checked the radar at home, and it looked like the rain might be moving east, so after dinner I headed out. I figured the cold weather was a good opportunity to hit a wooded spot I had hunted recently since I could wear long pants and a long sleeve shirt and the mosquitoes would have less real estate to fight over. As I drove to the spot, the rain was going strong, and I couldn't help but wonder what the heck was wrong with me for even trying. I could be at home, I thought, doing something productive or even just watching a movie with the family.

It was still raining steadily and pretty windy when I arrived. I threw on a big plastic poncho that my wife had given me. It whipped around in the wind as I headed into the woods, which were surprisingly dark.

I headed along a path to a spot I was hoping to hunt. After walking for about 10 minutes I hit a nice tone right along the path. I poked around and retrieved a nice '24 Merc. That made me feel quite lucky and quite happy. In fact, it seemed so unbelievably, stupidly lucky that I figured I should just leave right then and there. The rain was not letting up. I figured I could head home while I was ahead with a nice silver in my pocket. But for whatever reason I wandered off the path into the woods. A few minutes later I hit a signal that didn't seem like much. I don't even really remember it really, except that I thought nothing of it and didn't scrutinize it at all. So I was quite surprised when I dug another Merc! This luck was just not to be believed, I thought. But there was still a tone in the hole, and again it didn't seem like much - definitely too low for silver. More digging resulted in a BARBER QUARTER! And then another Merc! AND THEN ANOTHER!!! At that point I'm soaked and covered in mud and even the mosquitoes were probably wondering what was up with the big, stupid grin on my face. I scanned the hole again, and now there was a clear nickel tone, which proved to be a Buffalo nickel. Really, I just can not tell you how excited I was at that point. When I scanned a few inches from the hole and got a clear sweet silver tone I thought I might pass out. I dug and beyond all belief pulled ANOTHER BARBER QUARTER. There are no words.

I scanned the immediate area over several times, and then wandered around just a bit before deciding to call it a night. I was a complete mess, but probably the most giddy fool within a 500 mile radius. I've never dug a spill like this. I can still scarcely believe it!

The coins are:
1900 Barber Quarter
1902-O Barber Quarter
1917-D Merc
1918-S Merc
1919 Merc
1924 Merc
1916 Buff

The Barbers are quite worn and sadly I scratched the 1900. The mix of coins is fascinating; you'd thing there would be a Barber dime or SLQ in there. Did I mention how giddy I am right now?

Anyway, that is my story. Thank you as always for sharing in my excitement! And HAPPY HUNTING!!!
Congrats on the great score of goodies It was worth the soaking any day in my book! I'd go back and vacum the place really well To get your dime that's waiting for you to pull it out of the ground. HH....

Rudy
07-17-2013, 07:51 PM
That's as good as it gets. WTG!!! :perfect10:

Epi-hunter
08-05-2013, 11:19 PM
Wow! :omg: Fantastic hunt! That would have me flying high for a long time! :perfect10: