PDA

View Full Version : Colonial hunt with Del

coinnut
07-05-2013, 09:03 PM
We headed out bright and early today for a hunt at a new location. Dan had envisioned a cellar hole while in a trance lol He was right thumbsup01 I think we got there around 6 AM and left around 2PM. Bugs, heat and not enough fluids made us end a bit early. I started off slow but finally scored some nice silvers and a copper. My first Capped half dime |:confused:) and I think my 3rd Trime :cheering: 19 buttons round off the finds, not counting the scraps. It was nice to get out and hunt even though the walk back to the truck sucked :thumbsdown:
[attachimg=1]
[attachimg=2]
[attachimg=3]
[attachimg=4]
[attachimg=5]
[attachimg=6]

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-05-2013, 09:05 PM
awesome hunt G! congrats on your 1st half dime! a rush huh? told ya the conditions were brutal and i feel ya on the walk out :goodnight: sweet hunt! ya did great! love to see em cleaned up after you recover from today

Thiltzy
07-05-2013, 09:20 PM
Now that's what I am talking about.... smells like a virgin site :drool: :drool:
Big Gratz on your 1st half dime, I am hoping to get one myself some day :congrats: Trimes are nice to find and the KG looks like an oldie. As Dave said, I can't wait to see them cleaned up and maybe some surprise buttons might clean up and show themselves

Tony Two-Cent
07-05-2013, 09:32 PM
Wow, George, that would be the hunt of a lifetime for me! |:confused:)

That copper looks like it still has lots of detail. Is it 1729 or 1829?

And that trime is awesome! It seems to be in great shape too! |:cheering:

And the show stopper, that gorgeous 1821 Capped Bust Half Dime! :omg:

With that many buttons, I think Todd must be right about it being a virgin site! I would give my left arm to hunt a site like that, even with the heat and bugs!

:congrats:

coinnut
07-05-2013, 09:33 PM
awesome hunt G! congrats on your 1st half dime! a rush huh? told ya the conditions were brutal and i feel ya on the walk out :goodnight: sweet hunt! ya did great! love to see em cleaned up after you recover from today

Thanks, I'll get them cleaned sometime before 2020. lol

Now that's what I am talking about.... smells like a virgin site :drool: :drool:
Big Gratz on your 1st half dime, I am hoping to get one myself some day :congrats: Trimes are nice to find and the KG looks like an oldie. As Dave said, I can't wait to see them cleaned up and maybe some surprise buttons might clean up and show themselves

I wish it was a virgin site, but we hit it hard today. In the fall when the 3 foot tall ferns are down, we may see more coins come out. Finally I have a Capped Bust half dime. I have found a good number of Seated half dimes, but no Capped ones. Broke that curse thumbsup01

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-05-2013, 09:36 PM
you were with me when i dug my 1st capped bust half dime.awesome feeling seeing that in the dirt.hope she cleans up nice for ya.ya worked hard today and it paid off

coinnut
07-05-2013, 09:42 PM
Wow, George, that would be the hunt of a lifetime for me! |:confused:)

That copper looks like it still has lots of detail. Is it 1729 or 1829?

And that trime is awesome! It seems to be in great shape too! |:cheering:

And the show stopper, that gorgeous 1821 Capped Bust Half Dime! :omg:

With that many buttons, I think Todd must be right about it being a virgin site! I would give my left arm to hunt a site like that, even with the heat and bugs!

:congrats:

Thanks. I think the copper is an 1729, but not sure.

you were with me when i dug my 1st capped bust half dime.awesome feeling seeing that in the dirt.hope she cleans up nice for ya.ya worked hard today and it paid off

Yep, I remember that site. You got a couple of coppers on the lip, the capped half dime, and a Barber Quarter I think lol

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-05-2013, 09:43 PM
Thanks. I think the copper is an 1729, but not sure.

Yep, I remember that site. You got a couple of coppers on the lip, the capped half dime, and a Barber Quarter I think lol

yep! after that high mountain death march to nowhere :rolleyes: you got the draped bust half cent.
looks like a 1729 to me

del
07-05-2013, 10:09 PM
great day George :perfect10: :perfect10: but boy you had to work for them today :yes: the almost two mile hike back to the truck in 90+ heat was brutal :stretcher: :stretcher: maybe we'll do it again when it gets cooler , the bugs were annoying but i wasn't bitten once :peace:

heres the very secluded site
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/2013%20finds/farthingand1871site_zpsb708529e.jpg (http://s486.photobucket.com/user/del1786/media/2013%20finds/farthingand1871site_zpsb708529e.jpg.html)

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/2013%20finds/100_331farthingand1871site2_zps0996236f.jpg (http://s486.photobucket.com/user/del1786/media/2013%20finds/100_331farthingand1871site2_zps0996236f.jpg.html)

and heres the dirty finds

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/2013%20finds/July5thfinds1_zpsac1fa3fe.jpg (http://s486.photobucket.com/user/del1786/media/2013%20finds/July5thfinds1_zpsac1fa3fe.jpg.html)

almost a dozen buttons mostly old thin flats and tombacs one had a nice design (a center swirl pattern with outer etched diamonds with outer boarder)

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/2013%20finds/designedtombac1_zps0bc5be5a.jpg (http://s486.photobucket.com/user/del1786/media/2013%20finds/designedtombac1_zps0bc5be5a.jpg.html)

and a gilted floral designed flat

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/2013%20finds/gilteddesignedbutton1_zpsa10a6435.jpg (http://s486.photobucket.com/user/del1786/media/2013%20finds/gilteddesignedbutton1_zpsa10a6435.jpg.html)

and the two coins were a King George III farthing (pretty worn down and no date) and wasn't worth a picture to show you almost nothing for detail lol lol but it is my first ever farthing :happy: (what can i say , i'm a late bloomer lol rofl)

and the last is this semi key dated 1871 Indian head penny , its pretty crusty and i've only cleared off the date but it almost looks like the 7 is doubled and almost into the eight . i'll get better pictures up when i'm done cleaning the crud off.

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/2013%20finds/semiclean1871closeup31_zpse409f4c2.jpg (http://s486.photobucket.com/user/del1786/media/2013%20finds/semiclean1871closeup31_zpse409f4c2.jpg.html)

OxShoeDrew
07-06-2013, 04:38 AM
After eight hours in oppressive heat you guys end the day a bit early. :shocked01: :) Real troopers :clapping: Congrats on the firsts and on an excellent day!

fsa46
07-06-2013, 05:57 AM
What a great score Dan & George. Hunting in this weather is really challenging, so kudos to both of you.

:congrats: on your first half dime George thumbsup01. It's always great when we find a first and always hope it's around the next corner.

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-06-2013, 07:04 AM
some great lookin buttons Dan! nice IH too. i feel your pain on the hiking in this heat :-\

Lodge Scent
07-06-2013, 11:41 AM
Great hunt gents :congrats: Plenty of good targets to keep you going in the heat!

aloldstuff
07-07-2013, 05:33 AM
|:confused:) to the both of you. George, huge congrats on getting that capped 1/2 dime. The KG looks like it has some great detail and who wouldn't like to find a trime. Dan, that IH looks very interesting, You guys found more buttons on this hunt than I have in many years of detecting. Dan :congrats: on finally getting yourself a farthing

Bell-Two
07-07-2013, 07:47 AM
Wow wow wow :loveit: what a great hunt and such super finds! I bet that place will give you more goodies! Capped Bust half dime is just super ....heck all the finds were super looking forward to more of the same, thanks so much for taking us along!

z118
07-07-2013, 12:10 PM
Oh man those are some fantastic digs! That capped bust 1/2 dime is a dream. I'd battle heat, bugs, leeches, door to door salesmen, and the DMV for finds like that! Congrats!

del
07-07-2013, 05:30 PM
well here the 71 indian dirt free finally :yes: it had some very stubborn dirt that was even green with patina that at first made the date look repunched in places. the coin is in nice shape but pretty worn but still not a bad pickup and this date has the lowest minting next to the 1877 for the seventy series.

Dan

coinnut
07-07-2013, 06:54 PM
Nice job. That date really cleaned up well. I hoped it was gonna be an early date :happydance01: Two great coins make up for all the :blackeye: from that hunt lol

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-07-2013, 07:43 PM
beautiful!

coinnut
07-07-2013, 07:53 PM
Tried to clean up my half dime, but it ain't gonna happen lol But I did get a better picture of it.

[attachimg=1]

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-07-2013, 08:42 PM
Tried to clean up my half dime, but it ain't gonna happen lol But I did get a better picture of it.

[attachimg=1]
its in nice shape!

del
07-08-2013, 02:53 AM
its in nice shape!

i agree , it was lost early before it got a chance to wear done those details. the foil trick wouldn't do the trick huh :thinkingabout: :thinkingabout:

z118
07-08-2013, 06:26 AM
I wouldn't use it on a coin that nice but Barkeepers Friend and a lot of rubbing would likely take that tarnish off.

coinnut
07-08-2013, 07:37 AM
i agree , it was lost early before it got a chance to wear done those details. the foil trick wouldn't do the trick huh :thinkingabout: :thinkingabout:

Nope. Didn't touch it. Tried it twice. :dontknow:

I wouldn't use it on a coin that nice but Barkeepers Friend and a lot of rubbing would likely take that tarnish off.

Nope that ain't gonna happen either lol I may try corn cob as soon as I can set up the unit. Almost every product out there contains some kind of micro abrasives. They all scratch the surface, the trick is to make the scratches smaller than the eye can easily detect. thumbsup01

milco
07-16-2013, 10:13 PM
Wow, great finds guys! George, congrats on the capped bust half-dime, a sweet coin to find indeed!

wild willy
07-17-2013, 06:27 AM
awsome hunt george and dell! :cool: a very nice looking spot. man i have to get some colonial hunting in. willy

swamp yankee
07-17-2013, 09:44 PM
We headed out bright and early today for a hunt at a new location. Dan had envisioned a cellar hole while in a trance lol He was right thumbsup01 I think we got there around 6 AM and left around 2PM. Bugs, heat and not enough fluids made us end a bit early. I started off slow but finally scored some nice silvers and a copper. My first Capped half dime |:confused:) and I think my 3rd Trime :cheering: 19 buttons round off the finds, not counting the scraps. It was nice to get out and hunt even though the walk back to the truck sucked :thumbsdown: Bet it was a real torture session,but you scored some real worthwhile goodies for the effort! The next time will make it all worth it! Best of luck and HH.....
[attachimg=1]
[attachimg=2]
[attachimg=3]
[attachimg=4]
[attachimg=5]
[attachimg=6]

Ill Digger
08-05-2013, 10:41 PM
Man! 8/ I almost missed this! :embarrassed:
Dang, you guys had a awesome hunt! :perfect10:
George, you found two of my all time most wanted coins ..... in one hunt!! :envious: :envious: A trime, and a half dime... of any kind! :rolleyes: lol
And Dan, I cant wait to see that IH cleaned up. :thinkingabout: :drool: I agree that 8 7 area looks a little funky. :yes: :->
Way to beat the heat too guys!
Congrats! :grin:

Bell-Two
08-06-2013, 07:13 AM
For tarnish I have used this succesfully,

In a glass bowl put in strip of aluminum foil, place coin on top and use two tablespoons of Arm&Hammer washing soda, that is not baking soda but a product for enhancing detergent. You can find it where they sell detergent for laundry. Then completely cover the coin and soda with BOILING water, light shake bowl to dissolve all the soda. Let stand until bubbling stops. Often tarnish will come off in chunks, you can gently use a tooth pick to facilitate this. Repeat as neccesary.

Cheap Thrills
08-07-2013, 09:15 PM
Awesome hunt and finds guys ! |:cheering:

swamp yankee
08-11-2013, 10:57 PM
We headed out bright and early today for a hunt at a new location. Dan had envisioned a cellar hole while in a trance lol He was right thumbsup01 I think we got there around 6 AM and left around 2PM. Bugs, heat and not enough fluids made us end a bit early. I started off slow but finally scored some nice silvers and a copper. My first Capped half dime |:confused:) and I think my 3rd Trime :cheering: 19 buttons round off the finds, not counting the scraps. It was nice to get out and hunt even though the walk back to the truck sucked :thumbsdown:Del,nice job grabbing the goods! 3 trimes?,too much! Cheer up,the long hike will keep the vultures away from the site for a while till you can clean it out!HH.....
[attachimg=1]
[attachimg=2]
[attachimg=3]
[attachimg=4]
[attachimg=5]
[attachimg=6]

Sal66
08-11-2013, 11:07 PM
:congrats: Great Finds guys !! All the Coins look great. Congrat's on your 1st capped bust ! The Indian head is a beauty also especially for an early year . Is it a Bold N or a Shallow N ? It's hard to see from the picture. George, is that your oldest Copper ? How did it clean up ?
Yea, I hear the bugs are bad this year. Haven't been out since the spring so it's probably just as well if the bugs are that bad. Ticks and Mosquitoes are my worst enemy, so I think I'll just wait til the weather changes. |:cheering:
Congrat's again. Take Care.

coinnut
08-12-2013, 09:46 AM
:congrats: Great Finds guys !! All the Coins look great. Congrat's on your 1st capped bust ! The Indian head is a beauty also especially for an early year . Is it a Bold N or a Shallow N ? It's hard to see from the picture. George, is that your oldest Copper ? How did it clean up ?
Yea, I hear the bugs are bad this year. Haven't been out since the spring so it's probably just as well if the bugs are that bad. Ticks and Mosquitoes are my worst enemy, so I think I'll just wait til the weather changes. |:cheering:
Congrat's again. Take Care.

I told you guys I would clean it up some time around 2020 lol It's Ok but kinda rough. The oldest copper I have is probably pre 1700. I think I found a French coin a while back that was pretty old. Condition was not great on that one. I have quite a few Geo 1st, so early 1700's for sure. I'm not sure if Dan's Indian is shallow or bold strike.