PDA

View Full Version : There just ain't no figuring

z118
07-06-2013, 10:19 PM
After the amazing coin spill I dug on Tuesday there was no place else in the world I would have opted to hunt over that same spot. I had Friday off so I headed there in the morning. The weather has been and continues to be brutal - temps in the high 80's, horrendous humidity, and beating sun in between occasional downpours and thunderstorms. At least in the woods and out of the sun it was somewhat tolerable, although this meant contending with hordes of mosquitoes. I carried the bug spray with me and reapplied it often. Friday's hunt was okay although I left earlier than I would have liked due to approaching thunder. Saturday I headed back and fought the heat and bugs some more. All told I hunted this spot for about 9 hours between the two days. I dug a little more than 50 coins. Among them were 7 wheats (including several early S mint marks), two V nickels (1910 & 1911), two Buffalo nickels, and a 1939 Merc. I also dug a handful of bullets, casings, and shells as well as some interesting relics and miscellaneous items. I sure am glad I dug the Merc. For whatever it's worth I dug 6 silvers from this spot on Tuesday in about 40 minutes of hunting and then 1 silver in the next nine hours of hunting. The location is huge and targets are sparse. I feel it is almost inconceivably lucky that I happened across that spill when I did. For that, I am grateful. Hopefully, I did not blow all my luck on that one amazing hunt! Although I'll certainly head back to this spot at some point (hopefully in the Fall after the bugs are gone) I've hunted it enough and with such slow results these past two days that I'm ready to get into some new (or other old) spots.

Happy hunting!

Epi-hunter
07-06-2013, 10:22 PM
Still, you found some very nice old coins! And you find the nicest mercs - they are really beautiful :perfect10: I am sure there are more old coins and relics there!

Ill Digger
07-06-2013, 11:31 PM
The targets may be sparse but the ones that are showing up are nice ones! :yes: thumbsup01
Nice finds!
Congrats! :grin:

aloldstuff
07-07-2013, 05:18 AM
Nice finds and that merc is a beaut. I know what you are talking about with the heat and humidity. :congrats: on all your keepers.

Lodge Scent
07-07-2013, 08:44 AM
Some nice digs !

OxShoeDrew
07-07-2013, 02:25 PM
That site will keep you busy (and out of trouble lol) for a long time! Good luck with it. thumbsup01

coinnut
07-07-2013, 02:55 PM
Sounds like it may have been a picnic area. The ones up here have the coins spread out far and few between. But when you hit a pocket spill it usually is very good :drool: I think you did well in finding early S cents and some nice looking V nickels too. If you go back, look for areas that are flat but elevated up. like a small hilltop. Or look by a stream if there is one there. Don't make us come down there and show you where the rest of the coins are Z :eyebrow: :eyebrow: lol

bob_e99
07-07-2013, 03:16 PM
Feeling a little glum for not finding another great spill, are we? crying01

You've found some better stuff in this post than I have in several weeks. And I swear you're getting those mercs from the mint :shocked03: And the V nickels for which I still have on my list of things to find.

Take coinnut's advice and don't make him go up there lol

:congrats: on some nice finds. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

I can see it's time to start planning for my fall visit :drool:

z118
07-07-2013, 08:44 PM
Don't make us come down there and show you where the rest of the coins are Z :eyebrow: :eyebrow: lol

Frankly, I can think of nothing I'd like better. I'll even buy lunch! I can't tell you how many times I have found myself wondering what all you forum folks would be finding if you were here in my home turf. I'd almost pay to see it! Although perhaps I'd find myself throwing my detectors in the Erie Canal after I did!

lol lol

leslie(nova scotia)
07-08-2013, 08:01 AM
From the land of the Bluenose....see the digging gods were with you. Nice assortment of finds. Planning on going back to that spot? <;)

coinnut
07-08-2013, 03:53 PM
Frankly, I can think of nothing I'd like better. I'll even buy lunch! I can't tell you how many times I have found myself wondering what all you forum folks would be finding if you were here in my home turf. I'd almost pay to see it! Although perhaps I'd find myself throwing my detectors in the Erie Canal after I did!

lol lol

Del and I wonder the same thing. :thinkingabout: Once we had a couple of guys hit a cellar hole we did many times before. At first they weren't finding much of anything, but then a nice Draped Bust large cent surfaced and soon after a 1864 L Indian Head penny. :shocked03: We were surprised to say the least. lol I'm sure anytime someone else shows up at your favorite spot, the coins seem to surface . It's a conspiracy rofl