PDA

View Full Version : 50,000 coins

z118
07-07-2013, 08:28 PM
I was out the door early for detecting today, and had planned on hitting a new tot lot I had found as well as a new turf location that I hoped would yield silver. The tot lot was productive. The turf not so much. The grass was soaking wet and it was hot and so humid that I was dripping with sweat after one target. I gave up on that pretty quickly and decided to hunt some more tot lots. So I hit a bunch and did alright. I had forgotten how fun and easy it can be digging clad in wood chips. I've spent very little time in the tot lots this season since my desires have shifted heavily to old coins.

When I got home I counted everything up and put the numbers in my finds spreadsheet. I realized I was only 47 coins away from 50,000 coins total since I started detecting in the Fall of 2006. I figured I was likely to hit this milestone sometime this season. For a while I had also been just shy of 3,000 coins total from one of my favorite locations (a school). I double checked and sure enough I was 41 coins short of 3,000 at this one spot. I quickly ran down the street to a local tot lot and hunted just long enough to find 6 coins so I could be the same number away from both milestones. I'm a little nuts I guess.

So I headed to this favorite spot of mine after dinner, intent on digging 41 coins. I had hunted this spot 60 previous times, so finds are naturally a bit sparse. It was hot when I started and things were going pretty slowly. But then things seemed so settle into place and I found myself in a nice little digging trance with targets coming at a decent clip. I kept count with each target as I crept towards that magic 41st coin. Interestingly I got a nice tone on coin #31 and had I not been in such a digging mode I would have scrutinized it more and maybe saved it for #41 instead... it was a silver Rosie. Made my night! I kept on digging and the big, milestone coin proved to be a lowly '97P dime. This one will not be rolled with the rest... I think I will have to mount it on my detecting finds workbench! Anyway, I dug for a bit more and wound up with 61 coins (including the '59 dime and two wheats) before heading home.

So, total for the day was 197 coins worth $16.42. The silver dime was a nice surprise and amazing to me given that I'd hunted this spot 60 previous times. My knees hurt a little to think about 50,000 coins in a bit less than 7 seasons... I imagine they would hurt much more if I had kept count of all the trash as well. And 3,000 coins from one spot kind of blows my mind as well... I don't know if I can pull another 1,000 out of there but you can all rest assured I'll try!

Happy hunting... and thanks as always for indulging my obsessive ramblings about this hobby! :)

Hook
07-07-2013, 09:02 PM
those are phenomenal numbers Zman! wow. thats a lot of digging lol. congrats on a HUGE milestone in your career, or hobby, or obsession . whichever you prefer is what we'll go with ok? :yes:

i wish i had kept a coin count since i started about 5 years ago. i know i wouldnt be anywhere near your numbers, but it would be cool to know. heck i dont even count my clad, or keep track of my yearly totals. i spend it here and there on batteries or smokes while i'm out and about detecting, and feed a LOT of quarters to the wife to use in her drink machine at work.

you are a truly dedicated detectorist, and i salute you sir! <salute>

HH and keep it up, 100,000 coins wont be long in coming!

bob_e99
07-08-2013, 06:49 AM
:congrats: on reaching an impressive milestone. That certainly is a lot of finds and a lot of bending over. Care to share what percentage of that was silver? :thinkingabout:

And :congrats: on the silver dime. One more for the total :grin:

z118
07-08-2013, 07:17 AM
Care to share what percentage of that was silver? :thinkingabout:

Sure... career wise silver coins account for 0.69% of my coin finds. Wheat pennies are about 3.5%. Those percents have steadily increased the past few seasons as my focus has shifted away from coin shooting a bit and more into hunting for old coins.

Tony Two-Cent
07-08-2013, 07:37 AM
That's a very impressive total, Matt, and also very cool that you got coin number 50,000 and 3,000 from that site at the same time!

It makes me wish that I had kept track of my clad totals.

Congrats on your accomplishment!

:perfect10:

coinnut
07-08-2013, 03:42 PM
Congrats on 50,000 coins and probably 1 million pieces of trash to go with it :clapping: That is a huge number even for 7 years of hunting. Nice going |:confused:) I know I haven't dug 50,000 coins. :shocked04:

aloldstuff
07-09-2013, 05:17 AM
:wow: 50,000 coins, I can feel the pain in my legs already. :congrats: on that milestone and don't you just love the kiddies that keep loosing their money...... rofl

del
07-09-2013, 02:31 PM
:cheering: :bananadance: :cheering:[size=36pt]50,000 coins :cheering: :bananadance: :cheering:

:perfect10:[size=36pt]Congratulations :perfect10:

Z thats a very impressive number :perfect10:
my knees hurt just thinking about it ;)

OxShoeDrew
07-15-2013, 01:38 PM
I hope you wear knee pads lol seriously though ::huh::

My gosh, I wonder if you've set a record. :beerbuddy:

leslie(nova scotia)
07-24-2013, 02:55 PM
From the land of the Bluenose.....awesome and in a few years you should be double that!

Can't recall what I'm at other then 42 years at this hobby....sort of gave up counting afte 250,000. <;)

milco
07-24-2013, 08:22 PM
Congrats on 50,000! Here is to the next 50K!!!!