PDA

View Full Version : Tried something else

coinnut
07-07-2013, 09:14 PM
I had a rare opportunity the other day, to try something besides metal detecting, but just as exciting. So I dragged my wife along to try it too. lol Actually she was all for it. There was a need for volunteers to do some traditional Archaeology work digging a very early lithics site. It spanned from Paleo right up to late Woodlands. We were assigned a test pit and in 90 degree heat dug and screened it layer by layer :shocked01: My half of the pit yielded dirt rofl with one very small piece of quartz. My wife's side yielded many quartz flakes, (some clear quartz), a bifaced quartz piece (unidentified), and a Lavanna quartzite point @ 1500AD. Well that wasn't too fair :dontknow: We worked hard, learned a lot, and minutely helped preserve a site that is soon to see the corporate bulldozer >:#

[attachimg=1]
[attachimg=2]
[attachimg=3]

Lowjiber
07-08-2013, 06:04 AM
That's pretty cool.

Around here, where there's quartz there is often gold as well.

del
07-08-2013, 06:09 AM
boy your just lucky she don't metal detect because i'm sure Beth would clean your clock at that too :teasing:

tell her i said congrats on the bifaced quartz and Lavanna point :cheering: :cheering:

OxShoeDrew
07-08-2013, 03:13 PM
Hey George, you ever hit a hole so special you screened it?
Maybe you have a new hobby now :) You use a tooth brush? :) I mean with the dirt lol Those people have patience beyond belief :clapping: :clapping:

coinnut
07-08-2013, 03:33 PM
Hey George, you ever hit a hole so special you screened it?
Maybe you have a new hobby now :) You use a tooth brush? :) I mean with the dirt lol Those people have patience beyond belief :clapping: :clapping:

Screening is very time consuming but I'm game for it lol I have dug a section of a lip of a cellar hole and just detected the piles. I found 2 coppers and about 25 buttons. But I picked a specific part of the lip that I found a couple of buttons previous, and that I could hear a ton of nails. If I had a cellar hole that was close to home and with permission of course, I may pick away at screening it. You would end up with a ton of non metalic items too. Who knows what you would find. :dontknow: