PDA

View Full Version : Pics from DFXonly hunt

tanacat
05-03-2010, 10:03 AM
Over 50 hunters met at Boy Scout Camp near Columbus Ohio and had a great weekend. Got lucky and didn't get rained out Friday or Sat (there was constant talk of impending storm and tornadic winds). I'm not sure about Sunday- I left early, on Sat night... Anyway my first big group hunt was great! I didn't find any silver or gold, but lots of copper! I had wires hanging off my belt so heavy it kept pulling me over to the left rofl I found some boy scout slides which I was happy with, souvenirs so to speak. Total clad $5.34 and one wheatie I think 1928, it's pretty worn.

One of the best part of the hunt was meeting and hunting with Illdigger- he's very cool :) And all the other folks. I wish I could of hunted with Handyman, Magic and Magic's Girl, but I was trying to stick kinda close to my family's campsite because my cellphone was out of range (my mom, hubby and 2 young boys)... they were all adventurous going to the other side of camp to where they knew were some old farmhouses. Can't wait to see pics of your finds!

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_6765.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_6767.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_6771.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_6774.jpg

Our campsite- see all the detectorist in a huddle in background :)

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_6775.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_6839.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_6847.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_6853.jpg

My TOTAL copper so far- it makes finding pennies a little more fun lol
I think copper is up to $3.48 lb? Adds up!

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_6854.jpg

Epi-hunter
05-03-2010, 10:20 AM
Great photos Tana! That place looks fantastic. I would love to have met up with everyone on a trip like that!

I'm glad the weather held out for you. Here in the office we have no phones, no Internet (I'm using my iPhone), and no email from the flooding. Everything was cancelled and people are just trying to stay afloat.... literally!

The weather looks beautiful there though. Makes me want to get out.

tanacat
05-03-2010, 10:26 AM
Great photos Tana! That place looks fantastic. I would love to have met up with everyone on a trip like that!

I'm glad the weather held out for you. Here in the office we have no phones, no Internet (I'm using my iPhone), and no email from the flooding. Everything was cancelled and people are just trying to stay afloat.... literally!

The weather looks beautiful there though. Makes me want to get out.

I really wish you could of come too- are we going to have an American Detectorist group hunt soon? :cheesysmile: I'm glad you didn't get washed away! My hubby works in your town and he had told me about your flash flood warning. I'm getting ready to post a few pics of my backyard in the off topic section- check it out! To give you a taste, my 2 yr old looked out at our creek in backyard yesterday morning and said RIVER mommy!, an hour later said LAKE mommy! and then later said &quot:daydream:CEAN mommy! rofl

del
05-03-2010, 12:59 PM
hey Tana thats a very scenic area and looks like a great time out as well , nice pictures and congrats on the finds , happy to hear you had a good time .

Dan

coinnut
05-03-2010, 04:07 PM
Hey Tana, That sounds like it was a blast. Over 50 hunters?? :shocked04: Glad you got to meet Illdigger? If you say he's Ok, then I guess he is lol You took in quite a haul there also. Some of them Boyscout slides look old, especially the two near the center. What's up with the copper wire? :shocked04: That will make some good scrap money lol It looks like a cool place to hunt. Hope your ocean subsides :yes:

SeabeeRon
05-03-2010, 08:17 PM
Thanks for sharing what looked to be a fun hunt! Beautiful looking spot!

Ill Digger
05-03-2010, 11:10 PM
One of the best part of the hunt was meeting and hunting with Illdigger- he's very cool :)
Our campsite- see all the detectorist in a huddle in background :)

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_6775.jpg

Awww! Thank you!! :embarrassed:
I really enjoyed meeting and huntin' with you too!! Your alot of fun to talk to lol sorry I pronounced your name wrong......twice :embarrassed: lol
We were all like a bunch of little kids ourselves out there wern't we :crazy: lol Runnin' around...playin' in the dirt...and then later we got to have show and tell lol
I really like the older square type neckerchief slide you found. I found one of the newer style ones. :rolleyes:
You got some great photos of the location too!! You know I carried my camera around for two days and didn't stop to take hardly any pictures? I could kick myself for that :bangahead01:
You even got a pic of the Ill Digger himself in a little BS session. We were checkin' out Ernie's large cent he found . I'm the one in the black T-shirt. Good thing you got my good side rofl
All ready lookin' forward to next years hunt! You are good people and have a beautiful family !! I'd hunt with you guys anytime thumbsup01
I never did give you a chance to try out the ProPointer...sorry about that :embarrassed:
Congrats on the finds & HH :grin:

Glad you got to meet Illdigger? If you say he's Ok, then I guess he is lol

:huh:

Cheap Thrills
05-04-2010, 12:29 AM
Looks like a real fun time . Cool photo's . Nice going on the neckerchief slides . thumbsup01 thumbsup01
Baba

sjv
05-04-2010, 06:43 AM
:drool: Maybe the copper piping came from an old moonshine set-up. :yes:

coinnut
05-04-2010, 07:08 AM
If you say he's Ok, then I guess he is lol You took in quite a haul there also. Some of them

:huh:

rofl Just bustin' you Tim. ;) I can tell you'd be a blast to detect and hang with. Something about that South Park Avatar leads me to believe we have the same sense of humor lol Wish some of you guys were closer though :-\

tanacat
05-04-2010, 07:11 AM
You got some great photos of the location too!! You know I carried my camera around for two days and didn't stop to take hardly any pictures? I could kick myself for that :bangahead01:
You even got a pic of the Ill Digger himself in a little BS session. We were checkin' out Ernie's large cent he found .

I could kick MYSELF for not taking any pics - my hubby took all those... I was so involved in hunting I didn't even think about. Mainly I wish I had taken a group shot of us with Yazoo, Handyman, Magic & Magic'sGirl! ANd the old covered bridge and the adirondacks and the.... lol Oh well... next time!

Was Ernie's LC an 1822? He found it near the pool? I heard one other person found also, an 1853 was it? I wish I could have been there for the final sharing of finds on Sunday, but nice to see everyone's on Sat morning... I love all the nic nacky stuff like the silver turtle ;) peace sign pendant, pewter school bus, scout pins, various tokens, little gun toy/knife (did you see it-too cool!), earrings, that big old garnet ring (wonder if it really is a garnet:huh:) I tapped it on my tooth, definately glass and not plastic

:drool: Maybe the copper piping came from an old moonshine set-up. :yes:

Actually I'm getting ready to go MD for a copper coil -my grandpa thinks he knows where it is- on his 300 acre tree farm in Eastern KY. Years ago we went hiking with his old metal detector and we never found it- I'm going back! It is near the Dillard Spring, where the local preacher had his still lol There is a plaque explaining the history. If I find it I'll be sure to share the story and a pic of that plaque and maybe send into White's story contest... Not sure if the coil would be worth more in the price of copper or the history of it...

Ill Digger
05-04-2010, 09:48 AM
rofl Just bustin' you Tim. ;) I can tell you'd be a blast to detect and hang with. Something about that South Park Avatar leads me to believe we have the same sense of humor lol Wish some of you guys were closer though :-\
I know it was just a little :poke:
I've never been to Mass. before ;) :drool:

Was Ernie's LC an 1822? He found it near the pool? I heard one other person found also, an 1853 was it? I wish I could have been there for the final sharing of finds on Sunday, but nice to see everyone's on Sat morning... I love all the nic nacky stuff like the silver turtle ;) peace sign pendant, pewter school bus, scout pins, various tokens, little gun toy/knife (did you see it-too cool!), earrings, that big old garnet ring (wonder if it really is a garnet:huh:) I tapped it on my tooth, definately glass and not plastic

Ernie's LC, the 1853 one, was found not far fromwhere you and I were hunting. Kinda by the cabins and into the woods more, on top of the hill. The other LC was found by the pool. I don't remember the date on that one. The final showing on Sunday was just Don, his son James ,my buddy Earl and myself packing up our things in the rain and helping Don clean up the club house. I didn't see anyone else on Sunday. I never got to see the garnet ring or the cool little gun/ knife thingy:(
Here, we drove like 12 or 13 hundred miles and spend two days huntin' with no silver to show for it. I came back home and yesterday I found my first Merc of the season(Yaaa!!) and a sterling silver ring. Go figure lol

coinnut
05-04-2010, 11:30 AM
I've never been to Mass. before ;) :drool:

You wouldn't like it here. All we have are colonial coppers, early silver and lots of revolutionary and civil war relics. lol Nothing good. ;) :poke: Anytime you find yourself in the MA/CT area, give us a hollar and we will get together and do some colonial hunting. But the pictures will show a lot less targets then your hunts do :yes: Sometimes we go an hour without one good target :-\ But we never give in rofl

hoser
05-04-2010, 02:46 PM
That really looked like it was an awesome hunt. I know I sure enjoyed the ones before. Getting to hunt with so many people you talk to on the forum and then get to meet is priceless. That is quite the haul you made there lady. There was a lot of LOOSE neckerchiefs at one time. rofl Thanks for the great photos and a cool story to boot. thumbsup01

incomenet
05-04-2010, 06:43 PM
Hello tanacat,
It was nice meeting you at the hunt. You sure got a good haul, a lot of kneckerchif slides, my wife found one. Wish we had spent more time talking to some of you and meeting some of the people I didn't. Got to wraped up in just wanting to hunt. lol

tanacat
05-05-2010, 07:47 AM
Hello tanacat,
It was nice meeting you at the hunt. You sure got a good haul, a lot of kneckerchif slides, my wife found one. Wish we had spent more time talking to some of you and meeting some of the people I didn't. Got to wraped up in just wanting to hunt. lol

Let's see... are you Frank and Linda from near Lake Erie? :huh: I never got your forum name. I wish we all had name tags out there lol I did see a few guys with personalized tee-shirts, that was nice. It was a great hunt & am very curious where the next one's going to be. I've been hinting to Angie (Epi-hunter) to get one organized for American Detectorist...

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-05-2010, 08:07 PM
whoa 50 machines :shocked04: hunting with Del,coinnut,sniffy,forino and rcat is enough competition for me nevermind 45 others :twirlingeyes: sounds like ya had a great time. cool photos

Epi-hunter
05-05-2010, 08:11 PM
I've been hinting to Angie (Epi-hunter) to get one organized for American Detectorist...

I think you sound like a good organizer ;)

tanacat
05-05-2010, 08:19 PM
I think you sound like a good organizer ;)

Okay done- today I called the director of the facility I told you about to discuss a group hunt! It has to be approved several times up, up, up the heirarchial ladder... prob take about a year for final approval. lol got your alls curiosity up? rofl It's a goody- I'm so excited!!!!

Ill Digger
05-05-2010, 09:45 PM
Okay done- today I called the director of the facility I told you about to discuss a group hunt! It has to be approved several times up, up, up the heirarchial ladder... prob take about a year for final approval. lol got your alls curiosity up? rofl It's a goody- I'm so excited!!!!
I'm in!! thumbsup01 :drool:

Schrecky
05-08-2010, 02:50 PM
I agree, it was a great hunt. The tally of silver coins found is up to 55 and still climbing. Great group of people.

tanacat
05-08-2010, 06:21 PM
I agree, it was a great hunt. The tally of silver coins found is up to 55 and still climbing. Great group of people.

I was keeping an eye out for you at the hunt. We never formally met did we- what's your first name? I was busy with my 2 young boys when I wasn't MD'ing lol

handyman
05-08-2010, 07:59 PM
Great pics Tana, I wish I was back there right now. Im glad you got to go.

tanacat
05-08-2010, 08:21 PM
Great pics Tana, I wish I was back there right now. Im glad you got to go.

Well thar you is! Have you shared your lovely finds on here? You told me, but I'd like to see them ;) Did you add yours to the total silver count? 55 is pretty good. Averages out to one per person crying01 Nah, I'm happy with my slides lol

handyman
05-08-2010, 08:25 PM
Hey there, Yea Ive posted them,,, here and there,,, I m going to the raveen tomorrow if you can go:huh:thinkingabout: