PDA

View Full Version : Detectorist in England finds gold & sapphire ring from 5th or 6th century

Tony Two-Cent
07-12-2013, 07:24 AM
I am fascinated by stories like this. I am so envious of detectorists that have the opportunity to hunt in these areas that have so much history. Finds like this are the stuff of dreams.

He actually found the ring back in 2009, but they recently updated the story. They now think the ring is 1300+ years old and possibly belonged to a king. Mind blowing!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/29/escrick-ring-england_n_2979126.html

Michael Greenhorn looks nothing like Frodo Baggins from The Lord of the Rings, yet his discovery of a mysterious gold ring has set him on a bizarre journey that even a Hobbit could respect.

Greenhorn, a metal detector enthusiast, stumbled across the ornate piece of jewelry, adorned with a large sapphire and measuring 1 inch across, in a field near the village of Escrick, south of York, England, in 2009. Per the BBC, experts originally believed the treasure, now called the Escrick Ring, dated back to the 10th or 11th centuries.

Now, a panel of experts say the jewelry is even older and more mysterious than they thought.

According to a release from the Yorkshire Museum, the Escrick Ring likely dates back to the fifth or sixth century, was manufactured elsewhere in Europe and may have belonged to a king. In addition, historians believe the sapphire was likely cut still earlier, possibly during the Roman period.

Nothing like it has been found in this country from the 5th or 6th century, said Natalie McCaul, curator of archaeology at the Yorkshire Museum, in the release. Hopefully this will lead us to finding out more about the ring and possibly even who might have owned it.

One thing that isn't a mystery, though: the ring's value.

Greenhorn sold the Escrick Ring to the Yorkshire Museum for $50,000. The museum will conduct further analysis.

POKIE73
07-12-2013, 06:16 PM
ditto to what tony said they can make a ordinary find that we over here can only dream of they can almost just hunt any place and have hundreds of years of history dennis

coinnut
07-12-2013, 09:12 PM
Yep, Can't find that kind of stuff here lol I wish!!!!!

Aurelia
07-16-2013, 09:33 AM
ditto to what tony said they can make a ordinary find that we over here can only dream of

Ordinary find? That would be the find of a lifetime for the vast majority of British detectorists.

coinnut
07-16-2013, 11:59 AM
Ordinary find? That would be the find of a lifetime for the vast majority of British detectorists.

I bet it would be. Sometimes you hear about all the great finds, you think everyone is finding them lol

kray
07-16-2013, 12:43 PM
From what I've read, the diggers over there also have to contend with hundreds, if not thousands, of years of trash. I think I prefer it here!