PDA

View Full Version : More From The Old Church Site

Bell-Two
07-12-2013, 01:51 PM
Today it was a bit cooler a relief from the 90+ degree days we have been having. Decided to go back to the old Church site again and this time Diane decided to come along. I had went back Wednesday and it was brutal hot the only keeper I found was a smashed ring, the band might be silver but not marked. Within a few minutes I got an awfully scratchy 18-35 signal that was so narrow between the iron that all I could hear was a squeak. I was very pleased to find a very nice 1887 Indian in the hole. Tried to repeat this success by digging all the squeaks and scratchy signals that would show up in this iron field, did come up with a Swiss Army Type knife with advertising on it and it will clean up quite nicely. Also an old heel plate that was a plain type without a design. Diane had only found a couple of memorial cents up till now. She was working in an area that was almost totally grunting iron signals. Then I heard her call out and she gave me our Silver Signal and then she gave our signal for a Seated! I quickly came over and there in the hole was a gorgeous 1875 Seated Dime, her first ever 1800’s Silver and of course her first Seated! She said the signal was very bad with just a bit of a high tone; she said it would give a 24-47 and then jump all over the place. It was even difficult for her to find it with the Garrett pinpointer since the large iron around it would mask the coin signal. She was beaming and the grin she gave me was worth a million bucks! A few odd finds finished the day. This is an extremely hard place to hunt you have to be willing to dig almost any squeaky signal. I even dug some solid iron tones just to see what they were and perhaps to get them out of the way just in case there was something being totally masked.

“We cannot insure success, but we can deserve it.” Joseph Addison.

Hunting With Bell-Two #119 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOcSTJZagEY&feature=em-share_video_user#ws)

Tony Two-Cent
07-12-2013, 03:40 PM
Woo hoo! :happy:

It may be a difficult site to hunt, but your perseverence has paid off famously, Tony! |:cheering:

Three seated dimes from the site in just a couple of days! Congrats to Diane on her first 1800s silver and her first seated! :clapping:

Your Indian Head is a nice one too. It came out of the ground looking good. :yes:

:congrats:

OxShoeDrew
07-12-2013, 03:49 PM
....and nice pictures too :envious:

coinnut
07-12-2013, 09:05 PM
Congrats to you and Diane for some really nice coins. And a special congrats on Diane's first Seated :cheering: :cheering: :happy: :cheering: :cheering: That is also the first pocket knife I have seen dug that was usuable. thumbsup01