PDA

View Full Version : Benjamin and Theodore take a dirt nap, with cousin Abe in the bottom bunk

Hook
07-13-2013, 05:00 PM
I made a early hunt this morning, hoping the rain the day before had helped with getting deep signal here. (super dry). I hit an area that surprised me by not giving up anything except a few copper memorials.

Then i moved to a 40's/50's area of town and hit a curb strip on an empty corner house. I hit a couple clad coins, then got a fairly deep quarter/half signal at 6 inches. I cut the plug, only to find a root ball in the bottom of the hole. ( i hate that)

pinpointer tells me its just a little deeper, so i scoop out the loose dirt and the pinpointer sings its song. i knock a chunk of dirt from the side of the hole at the bottom, and i see a lttle silver coin flip out into the hole. i reach for it, and see a BIG silver coin in the bottom of the hole where i cut the chunk out. its a half!

the small silver was the rosie, 1960 D, the 1954 benjy speaks for itself, and after taking both coins from the hole the pinpointer says that have a friend in there. sure enough, its a 1948 wheat.

i took in situ pics of the silvers, but they were so messed up when i went to load them on the computer i deleted them and took pics of the coins as they look after taking from the ground and rinsing with my little water bottle. didnt even take a pic of the wheat...we all know what they look like

thats my 3rd benjy in about 2 years. unbelieveable! but i'll take it!

EDIT:: i forgot to mention, the wheat was at least an inch lower than the benjy, so i'm thinking it was dropped long before the half and rosie was. i think its just coincidence they were all that close together.

milco
07-13-2013, 05:27 PM
Congrats on recovering that spill from the curb strip!

coinnut
07-14-2013, 05:59 PM
Nice half :clapping: Not often that you get a half dollar in the bottom of a plug and it has friends thumbsup01

Cheap Thrills
07-15-2013, 01:55 AM
Benjamin Franklin , Franklin Delano Roosevelt = 2 Franklins but not a Theodore to be seen . ::huh::
Nice going on your great finds . |:cheering:

aloldstuff
07-15-2013, 05:11 AM
:congrats: on finding that spill. Like most of here I am still searching for my first Benny while you have 3. What's your secret.....inquiring minds need to know.

Hook
07-15-2013, 06:57 AM
Benjamin Franklin , Franklin Delano Roosevelt = 2 Franklins but not a Theodore to be seen . ::huh::
Nice going on your great finds . |:cheering:

dummy me! first name that came to me was teddy (theodore) roosevelt...FDR neber entered my mind lol lol

Hook
07-15-2013, 07:01 AM
:congrats: on finding that spill. Like most of here I am still searching for my first Benny while you have 3. What's your secret.....inquiring minds need to know.

after thinking about it..its simple. i'm hunting ground built on and really inhabited arounf the 40's and 50's. no real oldies there to find, other than late mercs, and rosies and benjy's.

some of my spots have potential for barbers and such, but this last benjy was found in a subdivision built in the early 50's.

i would gladly trade finding these benjy's for finding some barbers and seateds believe me!! :grin:

Tony Two-Cent
07-15-2013, 08:31 AM
Awesome coin spill! Congrats on the Franklin Half, it's a beauty! :loveit:

OxShoeDrew
07-15-2013, 01:28 PM
Nice work, I was invited to hunt my first curb strip (dig out) the other day. Cops chased us off lol Someday I'll find one of those Ben 1/2s :perfect10:

del
07-15-2013, 07:20 PM
nice sweet looking hunk of silver Hook :smitten:

leslie(nova scotia)
07-19-2013, 08:52 PM
From the land of the Bluenose.....that is one sweet hunk of silver...and the year i was born to boot. Hope your next outing is as exciting.! <;)

SeabeeRon
07-20-2013, 11:29 AM
dummy me! first name that came to me was teddy (theodore) roosevelt...FDR neber entered my mind lol lol

No problem Hook! I slept through that class in school I think?!? Sweet coins!! :clapping:

swamp yankee
07-20-2013, 02:49 PM
I made a early hunt this morning, hoping the rain the day before had helped with getting deep signal here. (super dry). I hit an area that surprised me by not giving up anything except a few copper memorials.

Then i moved to a 40's/50's area of town and hit a curb strip on an empty corner house. I hit a couple clad coins, then got a fairly deep quarter/half signal at 6 inches. I cut the plug, only to find a root ball in the bottom of the hole. ( i hate that)

pinpointer tells me its just a little deeper, so i scoop out the loose dirt and the pinpointer sings its song. i knock a chunk of dirt from the side of the hole at the bottom, and i see a lttle silver coin flip out into the hole. i reach for it, and see a BIG silver coin in the bottom of the hole where i cut the chunk out. its a half!

the small silver was the rosie, 1960 D, the 1954 benjy speaks for itself, and after taking both coins from the hole the pinpointer says that have a friend in there. sure enough, its a 1948 wheat.

i took in situ pics of the silvers, but they were so messed up when i went to load them on the computer i deleted them and took pics of the coins as they look after taking from the ground and rinsing with my little water bottle. didnt even take a pic of the wheat...we all know what they look like

thats my 3rd benjy in about 2 years. unbelieveable! but i'll take it!

EDIT:: i forgot to mention, the wheat was at least an inch lower than the benjy, so i'm thinking it was dropped long before the half and rosie was. i think its just coincidence they were all that close together.
Nice finds Hook,Benji looks in great shape. I always hope to find older stuff out of normal areas,like a kid gets an old piece from granny for a birthday and loses it....