PDA

View Full Version : Seven silvers today, plus a strange encounter at the park.

Tony Two-Cent
07-13-2013, 06:51 PM
I decided to go detecting this morning at a park in a town that is 50 miles away from where I live. I had hunted at this park a couple of times before and found 2 Indian Heads and a Shield Nickel, but no silver. I wanted to try it again today, it seems there should be more old coins there.

So I'm detecting in this park, and I keep seeing this kid riding his bike past me, and he seems to be staring at me. He looks to be about 12 years old. He rides through the park a few times, always looking at me. Finally he stops near me.

Kid: Are you from around here?

Me: No, not really.

Kid: Oh, because I'm into metal detecting too, and there's this guy who posts videos on YouTube called Tony Two-Cent and I thought you might be him.

Me: Um... yeah... I'm Tony Two-Cent.

Kid: You are? COOL!

:lol:

It never occured to me that someone would recognize me from my YouTube videos. For one thing, you rarely see my face in the videos. I'm still not quite sure how he recognized me. WEIRD! He ended up running home to get his Fisher F2 so he could detect with me. Alas, the old coins were hiding from both of us. I couldn't even find a wheat cent. He seemed like a nice kid, and he did a good job of making neat plugs and replacing them correctly. We hunted together for about an hour and then parted company.

At this point I was just going to go home, but I decided to investigate a small town that was on my way home. I discovered a small picnic area between the town's main street and the railroad tracks, so I thought what the heck, I'll give it a shot. I ended up having one of my best silver days ever, 1 Barber Dime and 6 Mercury Dimes.

Here are my finds for the day:

And here are the keepers. I ended up with 13 wheat cents in addition to the silver dimes. No Indian Heads for me today which is unusual.

Here are the silver dimes. Oddly enough, none of them have a mint mark:

I also found this dainty little sterling silver ring. Unfortunately it's bent and I know what will happen if I try to straighten it. *snap*

I also found this small crotal bell:

I wouldn't have known what this is if it weren't for a recent thread in the relics section. You guys up in New England find these shoe taps quite often around cellar holes, but I think this is the first one I've found.

Thanks for looking and happy hunting! :beerbuddy:

POKIE73
07-13-2013, 07:35 PM
congrats on all of your silvers but i think the real prize was the young freind that you made thats what this hobby is all about i salute you for your efforts dennis :perfect10: :perfect10:

Hook
07-13-2013, 07:40 PM
face it tony...you're a celebrity now!! <:

congrats on a nice pile of keepers. all from a spur of the moment stop at a new spot. cant beat it!! congrats on a great day.

Thiltzy
07-13-2013, 08:58 PM
:wow: 7 silvers is fantastic day. I almost forget what it's like finding silver except for an occasional Reale or seated at the cellar holes. Those top taps are a neat find gratz on your first

del
07-13-2013, 09:18 PM
this thread had all the makings of a great coke commercial Tony (i just picture this kid seeing his idol like the one and Mean Joe Greene ) , i know you weren't wearing a numbered jersey but tell me you gave him something ::huh:: not that the chance to detect with his video icon is not an incredible memory for the youth but a wheatie or any coin for that matter given to him by the famous Tony Two-Cent would of been over the top and a permanent tangeable part of the history he could recall. :yes: I think its very cool that you made the kids day Tony an apparently the silver Gods agree , very very nice hunt .

Dan

marinedad
07-13-2013, 10:40 PM
nice job all around, maybe he recognized you from your avatar.

Epi-hunter
07-13-2013, 11:07 PM
Great story! You are famous Tony lol

That is an awesome silver day and some very good research to find that place! :perfect10:

dave in iowa
07-14-2013, 02:00 AM
Great hunt tony,

OxShoeDrew
07-14-2013, 03:18 AM
[size=1:crazy:t] :perfect10: :perfect10: I'll have to check these vids out. thumbsup01

OxShoeDrew
07-14-2013, 11:04 AM
Hey Tony, you have made some nice videos! ...and a shoe plate and crotal?? you are turning into a real cellar dweller lol

PL8MAN
07-14-2013, 11:12 AM
Your a star ! Great hunt , congrats thumbsup01
Glen

Ill Digger
07-14-2013, 12:01 PM
:daydream: Can I have your autograph?.... :daydream:...... Please! |:confused:) :smitten: ........... lol

Joking aside, that's a great story Tony! :clapping:
I bet that just made his day! :yes:
I can see him going home and saying Mom, mom! I met Tony Two Cent today down at the park!! :happy:
And look what you got in return from the detecting gods. |:cheering:
Nice haul, and sweet finds !!
Congrats! :grin:

z118
07-14-2013, 12:07 PM
That is a very cool story and a fine day of hunting as well. I had a similar experience when approached by a gentleman while hunting once. He asked if I was having any luck and explained he was into detecting too. We exchanged stories for a few minutes when he proceeds to ask Are you z11:eyebrow: I tell you, that sure threw me for a loop!

Congrats on a neat experience and some great finds!

coinnut
07-14-2013, 05:23 PM
I want to hunt with Tony and Z |:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:) Just wipe the sweat of your face on my towel :daydream: lol Isn't life funny... you never know who is watching your videos and dreaming of having detecting days like you have. That kid is hooked for life. Now the silver finds are another story :clapping: :clapping: Nice haul. Looks like that place was popular right around 1945. The olde coins look worn and so far no silver rosies. I wonder if that train may have let out returning troops from WW2. That little ring can be hammered back when placed on any solid tapered rod.

Full Metal Digger
07-14-2013, 05:49 PM
Great story and finds Tony! Congrats on finding a little place that had never been detected. You are awesome at that. I have a ring mandrel and the little rubber hammer so bring that ring the next time we meet up and we'll straighten it right out! Best wishes and HH, Dave.

milco
07-14-2013, 09:04 PM
That kid is going to be talking about that all summer and in to next school year I bet! Nice deed taking the time with him, and congrats on the silver and the keepers!

Tony Two-Cent
07-14-2013, 09:43 PM
Here's the small grassy strip where I found all of the silvers. I think coinnut is right, most of the coins were probably dropped in the mid 1940s. At the top of the photo is the old depot. I'm sure that I will hit this site again in the future.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/Metal%20Detecting/Park_zps6763b3ab.jpg

Sal66
07-14-2013, 10:28 PM
:congrats: That's great ! Love the story ! Congrats on the finds also. You've been a roll lately, I'm really happy for you !
:perfect10:

Cheap Thrills
07-15-2013, 02:29 AM
A very cool story . It was great you hunted with your young fan . I've seen and enjoyed a few of your videos and like your calm demeanor you make a good role model for an aspiring detector . Great going on your seven silvers . |:cheering: :perfect10:

aloldstuff
07-15-2013, 05:07 AM
WTG Tony. As stated before you made that kids day. Even though no old coins were found that kid had the hunt of his life.

Nice thinking about that little picnic area, that spot made your day.

The life of a celebrity can be hectic.....be careful.

RobW
07-15-2013, 01:52 PM
:clapping: :clapping:...Very nice......good mojo thumbsup01
Last week my mother sent a box to me of things from my past. In the box was a photo of me and Mel Fisher. It was my 16th birthday, I was in his museum in Key West, I don't remember exactly how it all went down, but He took off one of the large, heavy gold chains that was found from the Atocha wreck, put it around my neck, put his arm around me and my mom took our photo. Never will forget that moment.

Lodge Scent
07-15-2013, 08:47 PM
:wow: that's a year's worth of silver for me. Cool story too. You can just picture the kid telling all his friends that he just met Tony Two-Cent.

jkress
07-16-2013, 12:59 AM
Congratulations on yet another fantastic silver day!!! <: :perfect10: :clapping:

You are truly one of the 'Coinshooting' legends here at American Detectorist. |:confused:)

The side story here trumps your finds for the day... at least for me. :) Don't get me wrong, your so I thought what the heck hunch paid big dividends. :happydance01: But hunting with 'the kid' who recognized you = = = Priceless!

By the way, :drool: over your beautiful silver haul. :twirlingeyes:

giant056
07-16-2013, 05:47 AM
Wow!!! now that's a fantastic hunt you had there Tony :clapping: and a very nice story about the kid too. I've also had people ask me if I was me too but a lot of times I will disclose where I find my stuff and most of the time it will be a spot that everyone and their brother has hunted but I've always been a diehard for them hammered out spots myself.