PDA

View Full Version : Odd weekend

z118
07-14-2013, 01:51 PM
The heat broke a bit on Friday but Saturday and Sunday were back to being hot, humid, and nasty. I had plenty of free time for detecting but was not really able to decide where to hunt, and when I did decide on spots I had a hard time getting settled in and relaxing as I struggled with wet grass, dry dirt, heat, and mosquitoes. After a Friday evening and several Saturday hunts I had dug a mess of wheats, a can of fart spray, and the most mangled quarter I've ever found (still silver though!) The quarter made me happy but because I was feeling so out of balance detecting wise I thought about sleeping in on Sunday and maybe not detecting at all. But I woke up pretty early Sunday anyway, and visions of Tony's six silver hunt inspired me to head of the door for more detecting. I'm glad I did because I dug a 1910 V nickel and a '44 WLH during a short hunt. The half came on a signal that seemed like junk; it felt like nothing short of a miracle to flip a big plug and see it stuck to the bottom. I savored that moment dearly. It was still hot and nasty so I headed home pretty early but I'm glad I gave it a go.

The can of fart spray sure had my son giggling when he saw it. I kind of like the mangled quarter; its pretty cool that I can show the date and the mint mark in the same, unaltered pic. The 1936 Canadian penny is only the second I have ever dug of that design although I have dug a few Canadian large cents. Total for the weekend was 139 coins which included the two silver, 23 wheats, two old Candian pennies, the 1910 V nickel, and two clad Kennedy halves.

Happy hunting!

coinnut
07-14-2013, 04:55 PM
It might have been an odd feeling kind of weekend, but you still did pretty good. That quarter is cool. Be glad it was a Washington and not a Seated lol Sometimes you are just out of sorts, but a WL will fix that thumbsup01

aloldstuff
07-15-2013, 05:22 AM
Very nice WLH and that quarter is really cool. Overall you got yourself 3 half dollars which is fantastic. |:cheering:

bob_e99
07-15-2013, 05:38 AM
:wow:

Pretty nice hunting for the weekend.

:congrats: on the silver!

Tony Two-Cent
07-15-2013, 08:28 AM
I'm nominating the Fart Spray for Relic of the Month! lol

But seriously, that was a great hunt, Matt! Congrats on the WLH and the silver quarter, even if poor George Washington has a splitting headache!

What are the dates on the Kennedy halves? They almost look like ones that are 40% silver. (1965-1970) Hard to tell from that photo though.

Congrats on another successful hunt! :clapping:

z118
07-15-2013, 09:52 AM
What are the dates on the Kennedy halves? They almost look like ones that are 40% silver. (1965-1970) Hard to tell from that photo though.

They not in the 40% date range. Kind of a funny story. The first target I dug at this spot was the WLH. A while later I got a similar signal and flipped the plug to see TWO halves at the bottom of the hole. They had been resting together so between them they remained shiny as you see in the pic. But they flipped apart when I pulled the plug so in that first instant I just saw two big, partially shiny coins at the bottom of the hole. My heart raced for a second as I thought the both might be silver or 40% silver. But then I figured out what was going on. It was an exciting moment if nothing else!

Thanks as always for the comments everyone!

coinnut
07-15-2013, 09:23 PM
Any place that people are dropping halves like that is a good site :shocked04: