PDA

View Full Version : New cellar hole site.Lots of Iron,but some goodies too.

CTX Tom
07-14-2013, 04:51 PM
Hi all,
A friend of mine took me to his deer hunting site which is full of cellar holes!It doesn't appear to have been hit by other detectors(no Iron piles,so my fingers are crossed!)We found a few decent Iron items,and this place is choked with iron.So I'm hoping to hit this place and find some nice items which I feel are there,I just gotta find em!Im not very good at aging a site,so if anyone could give me some ideas on how old this place may be by looking at the finds please do so!Also the one photo is of a bear track that was near the site.HH Tom

del
07-14-2013, 04:55 PM
hey Tom that place will open out a lot in the fall , the iron relics don't appear to be real old , does the inkwell have anykind of pontil scar on the bottom ??

coinnut
07-14-2013, 05:01 PM
What do you think Dan - @1860's so far? But some real nice items. The ink well will date that site better than the other iron finds. I hope you have a chance to get back there for some more finds.

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-14-2013, 05:24 PM
i never dug a full iron just the bases.that'll look nice on a shelf all cleaned up! good luck on return visits

CTX Tom
07-14-2013, 05:25 PM
Del,
The inkwell was found by my friend,so he has it at his place.I will give him a call when he becomes available.Im going to try and get back there as soon as I can.Im hoping a couple generations lived there.Lots of apple trees nearby,a spring ect.Looks pretty promising.Just gotta find the buttons and coins!

del
07-14-2013, 05:40 PM
i would love to see the pictures once the foliage is down , you can really get a layout of the place then . small sheds an out buildings are far easier to see worn paths to and from the house, barns and building become more evident too. Tom you must be in an area where there is still a lot of stone , i know when Coinnut and i visited New York it seemed once you went so far the stone walls and fences stopped all together. if your friends inkwell has an open pontil then besure its about 1860's or earlier . congrats on the relics hope you find the buttons and coins .

Dan

CTX Tom
07-14-2013, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the info Del.When I go back in the fall I will bring my video and still camera and get some good photos when the brush is down.It is a pretty neat place to see.I counted at least 4 larger stone foundations.It is at least a mile in the woods to the first cellar.Looks to be a good one.I wish I could have stayed there all day siftingthru the iron.hehe

OxShoeDrew
07-15-2013, 09:57 AM
Tom, a bear trap?? :shocked03:
I was at a hole last week where there was large iron leaning against rocks....about 30 square nails in neat rows laid out on the front stoop....and no hint of anything non-ferrous. Some of these holes are getting worse than pounded, we need a new word for it. smashed lol
I'm hoping your site is fresh and look forward to more posts. Good luck |:cheering:

foundation hunter
07-15-2013, 11:05 PM
That inkwell is called a Turtle inkwell around 1880s by the looks of it.
Gary

aloldstuff
07-16-2013, 05:20 AM
Hope that the site will produce some real old goodies for you. The inkwell is really cool looking.

Bear track....might want to bring Heavymetalnut. I understand that once the bear gets a look at him the bear will leave........ lol

OxShoeDrew
07-16-2013, 01:07 PM
ooooh bear track. I first read trap. 8/
Maybe someone will chime in about the flat rocks on that wall. Are they newer than the more haphazard round rock walls? I sometimes see short(2-3ft), flat rock walls in among the taller (3-5ft) walls. It seems the shorter, flat rock walls are always near the hole. ....and then again, maybe I'm crazy :crazy: lol

Lodge Scent
07-16-2013, 06:30 PM
Nice! Even if it is mid 1800's still plenty of goodies to be found. One of my best Liberty Cap LC's came from a mid to late 1800's site.

coinnut
07-16-2013, 07:02 PM
Nice! Even if it is mid 1800's still plenty of goodies to be found. One of my best Liberty Cap LC's came from a mid to late 1800's site.

So true. :yes: You get the oldies mixed in with the Seated, Flying Eagle and some really nice early Indians... But you get the flat stock iron too 8/