PDA

View Full Version : holes in coins?

pocketsofdirt
07-15-2013, 05:46 PM
Is there a reason that you find so many old coins with holes in them, I wouldlike to think that there was more of a reason more than just to were it as a necklace.
thanks once again guys and gals.

del
07-15-2013, 06:11 PM
holes in coins are there for many reasons , but i think what lines up with the hole can say a lot about why it was holed in the first place. if the date is nicely aligned to be read then it was probably holed because of an important event that happened in that year , a marriage , death , birth , start or end of a war ect. and what better way to remember it than coin of that particular year. if an image is aligned then some are holed because of the beauty or representation or patriotism , lady liberty , the eagle . some are holed to make things like washers , toys or buttons. the trueth is there could be a number of reasons .

coinnut
07-15-2013, 09:13 PM
Some people say that they were held on a string so that they would not lose them. Not sure if that is true or not. But like Dan said, the position of the hole can tell you a lot.

POKIE73
07-16-2013, 05:38 AM
i have heard that they were sewn into the garments one reason was back in the day some didnt have pockets ? dennis

Lowjiber
07-16-2013, 05:40 AM
Keep your eye open for square holes like these. Most are really old Chinese coins that were used when the railroads were being built in the US.