PDA

View Full Version : Sunday's Miserable Cellar hole hunting

RobW
07-16-2013, 08:02 AM
I haven't been able to get out much lately, Tim sent me a text on Sat asking if I could get out. He and I have been wanting to hit some cellar holes we knew about. So at first light we met up.

Re-iterating what everyone has been saying for weeks...the mosquitoes were ^%^$$%&$ miserable >:#...slow down at all and they swarm you. I could hear them buzzing through the sounds of my headphones they were so loud. I swear someone substituted my OFF with mosquitoes pheromones! lol It was hot and miserable!

After 2 hours and searching a few EXTREMLY POUNDED sites, we couldn't take it anymore.

Didn't really find much: an old saw blade, a spoon, some decorative piece that looks like lattice and seems to be hatched, some modern bullets, and a few what's it's

The coolest thing I found was an old wine stem that had growth in it..see pic below

Hoping someone can tell me what the 4 similar things are in the top of the pic....I know they are nothing, but might be able to tell me a bit about the site...it was the last one we went too and all that was there was an old well, and these seemed to be everywhere...seem to be a nail with a cover? Used on a barn roof?

coinnut
07-16-2013, 08:13 AM
Hey Rob, sorry about the pounded site :( Hope they weren't one of ours lol I think the round items may be roofing related. I also think you have a harness rein guides, but the bottom has snapped off. This is the worst time to be in the woods. I agree, them mosquitoes are super hungry and super loud. At least you got out and gave blood too.

RobW
07-16-2013, 08:38 AM
Hey Rob, sorry about the pounded site :( Hope they weren't one of ours lol I think the round items may be roofing related. I also think you have a harness rein guides, but the bottom has snapped off. This is the worst time to be in the woods. I agree, them mosquitoes are super hungry and super loud. At least you got out and gave blood too.

Roofing related...that's what I was thinking, but wasn't sure, I am thinking the area was a barn area :thinkingabout:

harness Rein Guide.....had not clue on that...sounded good! I was excited when it hit :happydance01:...disappointed when it came out >{

Thanks for your guidance all knowing one |:confused:)....... rofl

coinnut
07-16-2013, 11:46 AM
harness Rein Guide.....had not clue on that...sounded good! I was excited when it hit :happydance01:...disappointed when it came out >{

Them stupid things ring up like a large cent or silver :hairpulling:

Bell-Two
07-16-2013, 12:32 PM
Yep Rein guide or Terrett I have heard them called as well. Those things are definitely roofing related find some of those around here and were told they were used on shingled and or slate type roofs, for me they generally come in like a wheat or Indian cent.

OxShoeDrew
07-16-2013, 01:17 PM
Seems like the weather isn't cooperating this year. :frozen: then >:\ then >:# Pretty cool relics though, and I love the truck bed :loveit: lol

RobW
07-16-2013, 02:47 PM
Them stupid things ring up like a large cent or silver :hairpulling:

Yeah they do! I even called Tim over to watch as I dug it.....I was thinking the same thing :daydream:...but no >:#

del
07-16-2013, 03:09 PM
Yeah they do! I even called Tim over to watch as I dug it.....I was thinking the same thing :daydream:...but no >:#

ah , ha ... that was your mistake , you never call your buddy over to watch you dig
up a great sounding target :yes:. that oxknob , terret , zinc mason lid , or clad dime/quarter comes up , it'll makes you look foolish everytime Rob . ;) just ask George :grin:

Lodge Scent
07-16-2013, 06:21 PM
I like digging those terrets, but they do fake me out every time, especially the plated ones that ring up like a silver half !

aloldstuff
07-16-2013, 06:29 PM
Rob, sorry to hear of you're hunt.....but glad to see that Tim is more available.

I am pretty sure that the metal lattice piece is part of a cast iron bank.

coinnut
07-16-2013, 06:41 PM
ah , ha ... that was your mistake , you never call your buddy over to watch you dig
up a great sounding target :yes:. that oxknob , terret , zinc mason lid , or clad dime/quarter comes up , it'll makes you look foolish everytime Rob . ;) just ask George :grin:

I wasn't going to mention when you did that, but since you brought it up lol You did look kinda silly ;)

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-17-2013, 06:47 AM

TRUE STORY! hey least you got a teranerarium! :hysterical: I agree brutal hunting conditions but you are climbing up the hardcore hunters ladder if you get one hunt in each day for the rest of the week! thumbsup01 keep at it ya dug some promising targets.i hate the them roofing thingy things too.sometimes they sound just good enough to get ya goin

milco
07-17-2013, 07:14 AM
Yup, tough conditions for the woods right now, mosquito's are brutal, hang in there!