PDA

View Full Version : property markers

pocketsofdirt
07-18-2013, 06:05 PM
ok guys got a call from a guy I work with , he knows a couple in the old part of this town 1890-1910. There yard is very thin but long ,they would like me to find there property stakes..
So im asking were is the best place to look, it has an alley, I found mine in the yard it was sitting on the north west side about 30 feet from alley, can I expect to fide the maker in the same place only a mile away ,the house sits the same direction as mine. thank you for you input.

coinnut
07-18-2013, 06:14 PM
I've looked for property stakes before....they are a pain lol Set your machine to pick up your property stake while discriminating most other iron. I usually try and lift the coil about 6 off the ground also, so I miss a lot of smaller junk. Again try that technique on your stake first. Then ask them where they think the stakes are. Concentrate on that area first. I finally broke down and bought one of those detectors the city guys use to find gas lines. Good luck.

del
07-18-2013, 06:15 PM
were we taking a poll on this ?? :dontknow:

the only thing to hinder your search is this , lots of iron trash , metal fences or the markers (either iron rods , cast iron pipe or the like) have been pulled for some reason. if none of those issues are present then put the machine in all metal and listen to the bigger iron tones along the outside corners of the yard.

Dan

pocketsofdirt
07-18-2013, 06:30 PM
thx guys I was looking at satellite maps think I got it pinned down to a 30 foot diameter, just don't know if there going to like what I tell em. that might be y the gave me permission to search rather than calling a survey company. I hope I don't get the cops called on me. na they will understand got good cops here in town. thx again guys
allways look for new places to dig

Lowjiber
07-19-2013, 05:32 AM
I didn't check your location, but there's a website that has old, organized aerial photographs of much of the country.

I use it a lot. It is just a bit tedious to navigate at first, but if I can do it, anyone can.

It allows you to literally dial back in time and see the same locations every ten years.

Give it a look. It might be helpful.

http://www.historicaerials.com/

Boulder
07-19-2013, 10:15 PM
I know the stakes used to mark my boundaries are wooden stakes with florescent painted tops, and they still disappear each year under the leaves and branches.
Hope the company they hired used metal.
Best of luck, it may turn out to be fun.
Later, John. :->

RobW
07-22-2013, 12:57 PM
Not always metal, sometimes they are Granite, and sometimes they are a marker that is long gone...the old oak tree/stone wall. I'd also check the deed for the references which may say what is is you are looking for.