PDA

View Full Version : Shovels

Dick Stout
07-24-2013, 07:11 AM
Curious how many of you use a shovel as opposed to a digger (trowel)?

Tony Two-Cent
07-24-2013, 07:28 AM
I use both, depending on the site I'm hunting. In a park, school yard or private residence I always use my Lesche digger. In a field or woods I use a shovel.

RobW
07-24-2013, 08:42 AM
I now use all 3. I carry a mid-sized shovel, a small shovel in my pouch, and a lesche on my right side.....I'm loaded for BEAR :shocked03:

Thiltzy
07-24-2013, 09:16 AM
I use the Raven shovel but, I am always in the woods. I always have a lesche no matter where I am digging

aloldstuff
07-24-2013, 09:39 AM
As Tony stated......

RobW
07-24-2013, 10:11 AM
As Tony stated......

What about the cane you use too........ rofl
Oh wait..that's your detector..... :hysterical:

Lodge Scent
07-24-2013, 12:30 PM
I use one of those small shovels about 2 feet long you can get at the hardware store for about $10. I remove the screw from the handle so I can pop it off and it will fit easily in my back pack. I'll use my belt knife to surgically finish digging something out of a hole if need be. Haven't dinged anything in years that way.

OxShoeDrew
07-24-2013, 01:32 PM
I do what Lodge does minus handle removal.
I break one a season :rolleyes:

I'm looking for a way to hang it on my back so I don't have to carry it. I must prop it on my shoulder when using a 13in coil, or boost process or hear it on every step.

I should invest in a tougher, sawtoothed unit but they seem so heavy.

I won a Lesche digger in one of Pulltab Steve's contests but only use it when I come out of the woods.

I read that we actually should be using a shovel on lawns, digging a large hole, so as not to kill the roots....but people don't want you walking around with a shovel.

Tony Two-Cent
07-24-2013, 03:20 PM
I read that we actually should be using a shovel on lawns, digging a large hole, so as not to kill the roots....but people don't want you walking around with a shovel.

Exactly right, a shovel would most likely do LESS damage to the grass, but the pulic outcry would be horrendous if they saw detectorists in the park with shovels.

aloldstuff
07-24-2013, 04:00 PM
What about the cane you use too........ rofl
Oh wait..that's your detector..... :hysterical:

Yes, my Whites can multitask

Boulder
07-25-2013, 12:28 AM
I bring both a Lesche 3:clapping: shovel/walking stick and my trusty Jackson hand spade.
Yes at times I get the look walking with a shovel as a cane, but it beats not being able to stand back up again without it.
John... :crossfingers:

jkress
07-26-2013, 02:28 AM
Just a hand digger for me. :) Predator model 85.

Low profile and impact. thumbsup01

pocketsofdirt
07-26-2013, 06:08 PM
I use a donco tools shovel short sharp shotter. I think the key to using a shovel is allways dig the plug shallow,and put all your dirt on a towel not only makes it easyer to find your target but helps to back fill, try not to mess up plug and they will not know you were there.

Sal66
07-26-2013, 09:30 PM
:detecting: Good question! I used to only use a trowel that has a serrated edge on one side for many years but then I started carrying both a shovel and a trowel . If your hunting on private property such as a yard, I use just a trowel to lessen the damage like some of the other guys said .
If I go in the woods, I use both. A shovel really helps if you have pain issues like me ( less kneeling or crouching down ). Sometimes it's necessary to use a trowel, especially when your digging in a root section and need something to cut the roots away . A long shovel also serves great as a cane or walking stick in the woods also.